Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 03:18 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,014,497 times

Advertisements

what she said was true, there is a segment of the population that does not like obama because he is black. the author then goes to make his own spin on what she said. as to the events that happened in Switzerland. you either do, or do not believe she was discriminated against.

funny how so many white americans just refuse to believe black people in america still face discrimination. yep, we have come so far we have a black president, all if fine know. even when colin powell talked about discrimination some posters here just wouldn't believe his remarks were true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 04:23 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,856,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I have no opinion of her one way or another. I do know that she was extremely generous with her studio audience. What exactly is her public image other than that. She hasn't exactly been in the forefront like other celebrities.

You do realize that SHE is not the one that's being generous, right?

Oprah gives away nearly 300 new cars — History.com This Day in History — 9/13/2004

Old 08-24-2014, 06:27 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
what she said was true, there is a segment of the population that does not like obama because he is black. the author then goes to make his own spin on what she said...

Suppose a David Duke or other racist leader said something like There is a segment of the black populace that just wants to rob, rape, and murder. Would it be true? Sure. There exists such a segment. But underlying the statement would be a despicable and disingenuous intent. The intent of such a broad-brush, scatter shot accusation is to sow doubt, division, and fear. It creates a climate where whites who buy into the statement now see every black person as a potential criminal, and blacks are put in the position of having to defend themselves over something they didn't do.

Oprah's broad brush, scatter shot accusation of racism against Obama critics is along the same lines. If you're going to make an accusation of racism, make it specific. Name names, and provide evidence. This kind of nebulous accusation is classic race baiting, and ironically was the same tactic used once upon a time by segregationists.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Suppose a David Duke or other racist leader said something like There is a segment of the black populace that just wants to rob, rape, and murder. Would it be true? Sure. There exists such a segment. But underlying the statement would be a despicable and disingenuous intent. The intent of such a broad-brush, scatter shot accusation is to sow doubt, division, and fear. It creates a climate where whites who buy into the statement now see every black person as a potential criminal, and blacks are put in the position of having to defend themselves over something they didn't do.

Oprah's broad brush, scatter shot accusation of racism against Obama critics is along the same lines. If you're going to make an accusation of racism, make it specific. Name names, and provide evidence. This kind of nebulous accusation is classic race baiting, and ironically was the same tactic used once upon a time by segregationists.

get real. comparing a statement about people not liking obama because of his skin color is not in the same vein at all when you talk about rape and murder.

oprah did name names when she talked about the swiss incident. she can't win with you either way.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
get real. comparing a statement about people not liking obama because of his skin color is not in the same vein at all when you talk about rape and murder.

oprah did name names when she talked about the swiss incident. she can't win with you either way.
Yes it is in the same vein, as I explained in the post. Both are broad brush, scattershot accusations. Both share that characteristic, and hence can be said to be in the same vein, at least in that one respect. My statement was in reference to her comments about critics of Pres. Obama, and has nothing to do with the incident w/ the Swiss store clerk.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Yes it is in the same vein, as I explained in the post. Both are broad brush, scattershot accusations. Both share that characteristic, and hence can be said to be in the same vein, at least in that one respect. My statement was in reference to her comments about critics of Pres. Obama, and has nothing to do with the incident w/ the Swiss store clerk.

we will have to disagree, saying you don't like someone based on color, is not the same as labeling someone a rapist and murderer.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
we will have to disagree, saying you don't like someone based on color, is not the same as labeling someone a rapist and murderer.
Obviously these are two different statements, i.e. "not the same" as you say. I didn't say that the two were the "same." What I said was that both are broad-brush accusations. You still can't see that?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Obviously these are two different statements, i.e. "not the same" as you say. I didn't say that the two were the "same." What I said was that both are broad-brush accusations. You still can't see that?
you seem to suggest they were equivalent or why compare them to begin with.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
you seem to suggest they were equivalent or why compare them to begin with.
equivalent, yes. Same, no. Those are two different words with different definitions. Same means equal. Equivalent means bearing correspondence to. My hypothetical 'David Duke' statement bears correspondence to Oprah's statement in that both are broad-brush accusations.

Suppose you have a 1 inch square and a circle of radius .5638 inches. Both have the same area (1 square inch) so they are "equivalent" in that respect. But one is a square, and one is a circle, so they are not the "same," i.e. they are not "equal." See the distinction?

Old 08-24-2014, 11:29 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 20 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,535,254 times
Quote:
First there is this beautiful video w/ Oprah and Patti La Belle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oorsvJ5VSe4

Then there is the fact that Oprah told Pres Obama to go pound sand after he double-crossed her.
Obama’s Feud With Clinton, Oprah Continues According To Author Ed Klein - Downtrend

A lesser person would have been cowed by the POTUS, but Oprah was not.
Orpah announced that he show was ending a full 2 season before it actually did. She didnt "tank" it by supporting Barack Obama. Oprah was rating queen when she announced she was ending the show. He last show drew 16.4 million people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
She's a useless racist. They're a dime a dozen.
believing other people are racist just because they dont agree with you is just sad on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies