Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 04:15 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
The North had all the dregs of Europe to draw an endless supply of labor and soldiers from. Give us, your tired, your hungry your poor...

And Europe replied, sure take 'em! A way to possibly get rich and earn a better life for your family was to sign on to either side - but most notably the Industrialized North. Free labor that factories didnt even have to provide a meal or roof for. There were plenty more where they came from that would be happy to get the job.

I agree with the Visa comment to a point. People who are imported with highly technical abilities having their Visas held by an employer are definately looking like slaves - but they undercut their American couterparts greatly, and no one forced them to apply for and accept the terms of employment either. The antiquated loser of a tribal dispute in Africa that was forced to march to the shore to be sold into worldwide slavery did not quite enjoy this same initial option.

The North looked to economicly destroy the South, so that it could never rise against Federation again - would never be as rich again. Funny, it probably would have happened anyway simply due to the dawn of the Industrial Era worldwide. No war was needed for an economic downgrade eventually for the South.

Sherman ordered the Shenandoah Valley to be made unrecognizeable. He tilled salt into hundreds of acres of land to leave the occupants struggling for food for years to come all over the South.

The states wanted to regain their initial sovreignty. Before federation, America was much like Europe, each state a sovreign entity unto itself. New York and New Jersey being simular to England and Ireland. Each state had its own laws and its own money. Thats what the vast majority of Southern Whites were fighting over.

Robert E. Lee was slated to be the lead General for the Union, until Virginia succeeded from the Union. He then said, "I cannot fight against my countrymen." His countrymen were his fellow Virginians. He became the lead General for the Confederacy instead.
I don't think Virginia succeeded very well. Was more of a failure if anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 04:16 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
The North had all the dregs of Europe to draw an endless supply of labor and soldiers from. Give us, your tired, your hungry your poor...

And Europe replied, sure take 'em! A way to possibly get rich and earn a better life for your family was to sign on to either side - but most notably the Industrialized North. Free labor that factories didnt even have to provide a meal or roof for. There were plenty more where they came from that would be happy to get the job.

The North was also cutting edge, in terms of quickly adapting to and growing manufacturing. In general, those manufacturing jobs allowed these newcomers to live better than they ever had, and ever would have in their home countries.

Cotton was going to die, and the South, having never adapted, was going to be hopelessly behind.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:21 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Prospered? That I don't believe at all. I say that because in 2014 the closest thing to slavery is millions of illegal aliens here in the US and their kind being here pushes wages DOWN for blue collar workers.
Actually there are many, many slaves.

Walk Free Foundation – Global Slavery Index 2013 | Findings - Walk Free Foundation - Global Slavery Index 2013

https://www.freetheslaves.net/SlaveryMap

This map shows where the world’s 30 million slaves live. There are 60,000 in the U.S. - The Washington Post

Old 08-23-2014, 04:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Tell that to your friends over in Hamas.
What's with your stupid obsession with Hamas?

No one here cares about that nonsense.

You go tell Hamas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Perhaps you are so designated as well?
Maybe so. (Shoulder shrug)

Old 08-23-2014, 04:24 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I don't think Virginia succeeded very well. Was more of a failure if anything.
Lol, you got me - but you know what I mean. Virginia is the mother of at least 8 Presidents. Chances are it ultimately did just fine. Virginia is for Lovers!

Old 08-23-2014, 04:31 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,429 times
Quote:
Lol, you got me - but you know what I mean. Virginia is the mother of at least 8 Presidents. Chances are it ultimately did just fine. Virginia is for Lovers!
At one time it was the tobacco capitol. Even today if someone works in D.C. and is able to do it, he/she will opt to have their residence in Virginia. Virginia is a very beautiful state.

Yes, I heard a guy tease a lady who was getting married: "Darn Margaret," he said. "Today a virgin, tomorrow a Virginian!"

Old 08-23-2014, 04:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Hmph...yeah...for lovers alright.

Not according to the Loving family it wasn't

Old 08-23-2014, 04:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Confederate Flag Doesn't Fly With California Lawmakers
The Confederate flag doesn't have any relevance to California that I am aware of, so this appears to be largely symbolic.

[or, if you prefer, a dog and pony show]

Old 08-23-2014, 04:44 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Hmph...yeah...for lovers alright.

Not according to the Loving family it wasn't

Well gee. the Loving family said no. Damn. Busted my bubble.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:56 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeetc View Post
the confederate flag doesn't have any relevance to california that i am aware of, so this appears to be largely symbolic.

[or, if you prefer, a dog and pony show]
+1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies