Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 08:22 AM

201 posts, read 148,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
You should follow your own advice about the history lesson, because you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

South Carolina, the first state to secede, specifically identified slavery as the primary reason for leaving the Union. In their declaration of secession (titled "Confederate States of America - Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union "), they state -

Not a word about cotton, agricultural products, tariffs, or any of that other nonsense. Slavery, pure and simple.

Of the other 6 original Confederate states, 3 more (Texas, Mississippi, and Georgia) specifically mention slavery as a primary reason for secession. Mississippi stated:

Texas said:

Georgia said:

That's the opening paragraph of the Georgia Ordinance of secession. Again, slavery. Period.

Of the remaining 3 Southern States who initiated the Civil War, Alabama did not list specific reasons for seceding, but did invite all other "slaveholding states of the South" to join them in their rebellion, and the final two (Florida and Louisiana) simply stated that they were seceding and left it at that. So of the 7 states who started the Civil War, 5 of them identified slavery as either a primary or the sole reason for seceding from the Union, and the remaining 2 did not mention any specific reasons whatsoever.

Additionally, Confederate Vice President Alexander Stevens - in his Cornerstone Address of March 1861, in which he outlined the Confederates' reason for the war - said this:

So, yes - as you say, "a little study in history would be beneficial." I would suggest you follow your own advice, and take a few minutes to educate yourself before posting such complete nonsense again in the future. The Civil War was all about slavery, and the states who started the war by seceding made no attempt to dance around it at the time. Say what you will about them, they at least had the courage of their convictions and the integrity to admit what they stood for. Unlike many of their modern-day revisionist apologists, obviously.

Then you have the rest of the story:

THE REAL REASONS BEHIND THE CIVIL WAR! | TERRORISM MUST DIE!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 08:48 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,210 times
I wonder if these Blacks who owned white slaves flew the Confederate Flag?
Where's all the racist remarks and hatred being expressed against these fine upstanding Black slave owners?

White slaves, Black slave owners in America

The Black slave owners of the South | Unity of Nobility

Last edited by the_human_being; 08-25-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 09:04 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,918,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Maybe if New England had taken the plunge in 1814 America could have been as lucky as Canada with regards to racism and secession, but I doubt it. The best chance would be that scenario coupled with a President who let the South go their own way in 1860. That would leave a fairly strange-shaped U.S., though, without the Confederate states or New England. In our history there was serious talk in 1861 of NYC seceding; if it was better received and since in that timeline there was no Fort Sumter to knock the sails out of the idea, it's possible NYC could become independent as well. Given their supremacy in trade and commerce at the time, they might have become the Singapore of the 19th century. All of that might defuse some of the secession is racist ideology, with New England and New York out of the Union, but the unionist anti-Southern sentiment is still quite strong.
You might be interested in the discussion that occurred a number of years ago to create Cascadia in western USA and Canada.

Cascadia (independence movement) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I believe as a result of those discussions, the governors and premiers of the regions had regional meetings, not to implement that thought, but to increase regional economic development. A lot of that has happened.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:25 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If only California wasn't so expensive to live in That flag is disgusting
I used to be an avid aircraft modeler and remember there being some controversy with people claiming model kits of German WW II aircraft shouldn't come with decals of swastikas.

Do you really believe hiding bits of history make it like they never existed?

Old 08-25-2014, 09:28 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,024 times
This is a Freedom of Speech/Freedom of Expression issue that should not be legislated by the government in any so-called free country under any circumstances whatsoever.

When I was in high school, I had a history teacher that went on a rant about Nazi symbolism one day while learning about World War II in class. To paraphrase:

"I hate Nazis. They are the antithesis of everything Canada stands for. When I see some ignorant student drawing swastikas on his notebook, my first instinct is to slap him on the head. But then I realize that as abhorrent as it may seem, the freedom to draw a swastika on your notebook is exactly why our fathers and grandfathers died fighting against the Nazis in the first place. It is these freedoms that make Canada the greatest country in the world to live in."

I may not like what you say, but I will give my life for your right to say it. And unless that freedom is granted to all without restriction nor fear of persecution, we are living in a dictatorship.

Lest we forget.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:42 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Aren't you also aware that no slave ship ever sailed under the Confederate flag, since they continued the 1808 slave trade ban established after the American flag was flying on slave ships for over 20 years? Doesn't that make the Stars and Strips far more of a racist symbol of a government that supported slavery than even the Confederate government's flag?
The nation that flies the Stars and Stripes got around to abolishing slavery. The nation whose armed forces flew the Confederate flag specifically protected "negro slavery" in their constitution.

Quote:
Just what emblem would you propose the South use that even comes close to the historical rootedness and recognition the Confederate battle flag enjoys?
If "historical rootedness" is narrowly defined to those 5 years spent fighting on the wrong side of history, I would pity the South quite a bit. Why not use the respective state flags? Texas seems to be able to do it...

Old 08-25-2014, 09:44 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
This is a Freedom of Speech/Freedom of Expression issue that should not be legislated by the government in any so-called free country under any circumstances whatsoever.
The California legislation restricts what the government does. Nothing else.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If this is an attempt to be funny, it isn't working.
Just pointing out that the whole issue is totally ridiculous. Like it or not, the Confederate Flag is a part of our history as is the flag with the 13 stars on it and the Texas Lone Star Flag. All belong in museums of national history.

As I have posted already, there were many Black slave owners. Aren't these even more despicable to Black folks than are the white slave owners? They would be to me. Many of these Black slave owners were in Louisiana and engaged in using Black females in their sex trade.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The nation that flies the Stars and Stripes got around to abolishing slavery. The nation whose armed forces flew the Confederate flag specifically protected "negro slavery" in their constitution.

If "historical rootedness" is narrowly defined to those 5 years spent fighting on the wrong side of history, I would pity the South quite a bit. Why not use the respective state flags? Texas seems to be able to do it...
Yes, "negro slavery" perpetuated in large part by Black slave owners.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:53 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
As I have posted already, there were many Black slave owners. Aren't these even more despicable to Black folks than are the white slave owners? They would be to me. Many of these Black slave owners were in Louisiana and engaged in using Black females in their sex trade.

If the races are to be considered as equals why should one slave owner be considered more despicable than another?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies