Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 02:25 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Why should cookies be part of a school lunch program. If parents want cookies, then they can bake them.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 02:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I have a huge problem with the "good food/bad food" concept. Here's a great article about it.
Good Food...Bad Food

Now this was written for Down Syndrome parents b/c I think that's what the nutritionist's job is, but it's applicable to everyone. People who work in eating disorders programs have real issues with that concept as well. ANY food can fit into a good diet.

https://www.nationaleatingdisorders....about-yourself
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/he...anted=all&_r=0

Old 08-27-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have a huge problem with the "good food/bad food" concept. Here's a great article about it.
Good Food...Bad Food

Now this was written for Down Syndrome parents b/c I think that's what the nutritionist's job is, but it's applicable to everyone. People who work in eating disorders programs have real issues with that concept as well. ANY food can fit into a good diet.

I agree that occasional junk food can be part of an overall healthy diet, but I maintain that these foods do not belong in a federally-subsidized school lunch program, and while I very much respect your contributions to the C-D forums, if that's your intent, it's just not going to happen.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I agree that occasional junk food can be part of an overall healthy diet, but I maintain that these foods do not belong in a federally-subsidized school lunch program, and while I very much respect your contributions to the C-D forums, if that's your intent, it's just not going to happen.
Well, excuse me! I'm not sure what "intent" you're talking about, and I don't appreciate my "intentions" being questioned. This is a discussion forum.

I certainly don't work for the school lunch program, and I have supported many of the changes made recently. It seems the solution to this problem is obvious, and was state early in the thread-make the cookies smaller. Then the calorie count will fit into the SLP. In fact, according to some of the comments in the article, they wouldn't even have to be made *that much* smaller.

ETA: If I have any "intentions" they're to get people away from this "good food/bad food" dichotomy.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:09 PM

Sorry. I didn't mean to start an argument. It's just that I feel very strongly about good nutrition (including the occasional cookie) for kids, and I get so angry with people who rant about limitations on the subsidized school lunch program while simultaneously ranting about what people buy with food stamps. The hypocrisy just burns me up. I think the school lunch guidelines are appropriate, but, unfortunately, not always well executed.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:12 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Good Food...Bad Food

I've always been the same way with my approach to food with my child. We never used food as a punishment, reward, or made any of it "taboo". Food is fuel and make sure not to run on empty and not to overfill the gas tank. Just made sure my kid ate a balanced diet and got plenty of exercise. Yes, that even included the occasional sweet! I wonder if people are becoming just too neurotic about food. Want to know the quickest way to get a kid to crave something? Forbid it.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:13 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Oh, honey, my family is in the 28% Federal Income Tax Bracket, which means we pay more than most, so you can drop that line of argument. Regardless, once again you and I are at an impasse. You're absolutely right that it is money I have paid into the system, and I demand that it's spent on vegetables and fruit, not iced cookies. Now what do we do?
There is no impasse. This is twice now you have backed away from your extremist positions.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:23 PM

How exactly have I been inconsistent? I have repeatedly stated that junk food does not belong in the school lunch program; however, as a rare classroom treat, it is acceptable. There is no double-talk there. Iced cookies should not be part of the Federal Lunch Program. If that makes me a "nanny" so be it! You are welcome to put cookies in your kid's lunch box or serve Doritos at dinner, but I will not, and never will, agree that those items should be available in the cafeteria line.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:31 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Yep, I've seen it, too, and it's disturbing, but the solution is not to throw up our hands in defeat and let the children eat iced cookies every day instead. As parents, is that what we do when our child doesn't want to eat his broccoli at dinner? "That's okay, Sweetheart, here have ten Oreos and a bag of Doritos instead." No! We keep serving the darn broccoli.

Yes, I try serving the school kids their darn broccoli when it's on the lunch line - it starts out steamed and beautifully green the first day. Most of them wouldn't touch it (a couple made a sign of a crucifix as if warding off a vampire). After a subsequent reheat, it was moss colored and definitely unappetizing. Rather than put two pans of it down the garbage disposal, I rescued it, took it home and made cream of broccoli soup. Waste not want not.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:33 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
First they came for my cookie...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies