Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 03:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Yes, I try serving the school kids their darn broccoli when it's on the lunch line - it starts out steamed and beautifully green the first day. Most of them wouldn't touch it (a couple made a sign of a crucifix as if warding off a vampire). After a subsequent reheat, it was moss colored and definitely unappetizing. Rather than put two pans of it down the garbage disposal, I rescued it, took it home and made cream of broccoli soup. Waste not want not.
Sounds yummy! My kids would have loved that soup. They do love that soup. We have vegetable soup at least one night a week. Tonight it's butternut squash with a spinach salad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 03:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
How exactly have I been inconsistent?

That isn't what I said.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:42 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
All I have to say, is thank goodness my youngest two children do not attend public school.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That isn't what I said.
Then please do clarify.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:37 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
A friend who is American, working in Paris, sent me this link today about what French school children have for lunch. I think the contrast with our approach to food and nutrition and even school activity cycles is eye-opening.

Quote:
There are many theories as to why the French, and French children in particular, do not suffer from weight problems, obesity, diabetes, and hypertension like their American counterparts. Eating moderate quantities of fresh and freshly prepared food at set times of the day is definitely one of the most convincing reasons why they stay lean. Daily exercise, in the form of three recess periods (two 15-minute and one 60-minute recess every day) and walking or biking to and from school, is another.

What French Kids Eat For School Lunch (It Puts Americans To Shame!)
Anybody want another serving of macaroni and cheese and ketchup, or are you ready for your nap now?

Old 08-27-2014, 04:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^Right, no childhood obesity in France.
The French children learning to fight obesity - Telegraph

Old 08-27-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Then please do clarify.
Read it yourself. It's plain enough.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:49 PM

No, it's not. I do not believe I have equivocated in the least, and if you do, I would like you to clarify why you think that's the case. That you are unwilling to do so indicates that you cannot support your vague criticism of my position.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:10 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
If we need to pay for health care for the people that get sick as a result they are not taking personality responsibility for their health decisions.
Oh well. You liberals are the ones who wanted socialized medicine. Don't vote in socialized medicine with 0 conservative votes and then complain about the cost of it. It's your doing. We told you it wasn't a good idea all along.
Quote:
If you want to be a fat ass, it is your responsibility to pay for that decision. If you are not willing to do so then the tax payer gets a say.
Really? That's funny. The taxpayer didn't get a say in birth control or abortion. So when it's something leftists want to be free, then it's a constitutional right. When it's something you don't like, then the person is an irresponsible fat ass. Good job on having consistent principles. You've restored my faith in liberal ethics.
Quote:
I love how we drug test for welfare recipients because if we pay we get a say, but eating terrible food is a personal choice.
Drugs are illegal. Get back to me when you've passed laws controlling the calorie intake people are allowed and somehow managed to justify why it is unconstitutional to control peoples' sex lives but constitutional to control their diet. Then you can compare it to drugs. Until then, your comparison fails.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
No, it's not. I do not believe I have equivocated in the least, and if you do, I would like you to clarify why you think that's the case. That you are unwilling to do so indicates that you cannot support your vague criticism of my position.
What other extremely unhealthy things do you support people giving their kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies