Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 09:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times

Advertisements

There is nothing preventing a student athlete who needs more calories from bringing in additional food to augment his midday meal. The guidelines are based on the average student who is consuming two other meals of adequate quantity and nutritional value off campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 09:33 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Today on the lunch menu at my child's school is pizza, from a pizza chain. It's not healthy but thanks to Michelle Obama's, "Healthy Lunch Program" the portions are smaller. So the kids will still get unhealthy food, just less of it and they pay the same price as they did before. It really is a wonderful program and will solve our country's obesity crisis, I'm sure of it!
Michelle stated one time when she wants to eat healthy she has pizza, when she gets crazy it's French Fries. I certainly had to laugh to think she's promoting a program without knowing pizza is not the first choice of healthy eating. Guess if one gets a veggie pizza one may be doing okay, except the dough and sauce are probably high in sugar and sodium.

Only way kids are going to lose weight is if the parents care enough to see it happen. One school meal is not making kids fat.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
There is nothing preventing a student athlete who needs more calories from bringing in additional food to augment his midday meal.
Why should he have to because a percentage eat too much and will continue to no matter what the schools do?

Quote:
The guidelines are based on the average student who is consuming two other meals of adequate quantity and nutritional value off campus.
We shouldn't accept average, especially when this average is an elusive number. It's none of Washington D.C.'s business what people in Arizona decides is best for their students.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What difference does that make? A student athlete of the same size is considered Obese.

The 6'2 240 lb linebacker is considered obese just the same as the 5'5 240 lb slacker. Is that a fair comparison that tells us anything? No, it's a scam.
We are talking about kids not athletes. And this is not a scam. Do you not care about these kids who sit around all day eating junk food and not getting any exercise. All you have to do is look around to see some of these kids are obese. It's really sad. If parents want to keep feeding their kids unhealthy foods then that's on them but the schools do not have to do that. If you want your kid to eat donuts at lunch then pack it for them.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Why should he have to because a percentage eat too much and will continue to no matter what the schools do?

We shouldn't accept average, especially when this average is an elusive number. It's none of Washington D.C.'s business what people in Arizona decides is best for their students.
The school lunch program has seen a lot of changes since I first ate a "school lunch" in 1961, but, it has always been one lunch per day. Students with different needs have always had to work it out, e.g. bring more food, different food, whatever.

Do kids' bodies work differently in Arizona than DC? I don't think so! The school lunches are calculated to give roughly 1/3 the calories and nutrients a kid needs for the day. They can augment that with their other meals and snacks. The calorie allotments are higher for high school students than elementary students. Any school district is free to opt-out of the school lunch program and do their own. Few do, b/c the federal program provides subsidies.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We are talking about kids not athletes. And this is not a scam. Do you not care about these kids who sit around all day eating junk food and not getting any exercise.
Feeding them noodles and celery is not exercise. I already addressed your point earlier. If you would stick to the topic, school lunches, it would be appreciated.

Quote:
All you have to do is look around to see some of these kids are obese. It's really sad. If parents want to keep feeding their kids unhealthy foods then that's on them but the schools do not have to do that. If you want your kid to eat donuts at lunch then pack it for them.
Strawman. Nobody, absolutely no one is arguing that a good lunch is donuts. Did you answer my question above? No you didn't.

The 6'3 240 lb linebacker is considered obese. Is that really a valid description or rather someone trying to pull the wool over your eyes?

Old 09-02-2014, 09:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Michelle stated one time when she wants to eat healthy she has pizza, when she gets crazy it's French Fries. I certainly had to laugh to think she's promoting a program without knowing pizza is not the first choice of healthy eating. Guess if one gets a veggie pizza one may be doing okay, except the dough and sauce are probably high in sugar and sodium.

Only way kids are going to lose weight is if the parents care enough to see it happen. One school meal is not making kids fat.
Pizza can fit into a healthy diet. Any "real" nutritionist worth his/her (most are 'her') RD can tell you that. It's best to avoid the fatty meat toppings, but the veggie and fruit toppings are fine, plus lean meat such as lean ham and/or grilled ground meat. Not much sugar in dough, just a little usually to make the yeast raise. Some sauces have sugar, generally not *too* much, most likely no more than in Teriyaki sauce and many other marinades.

I agree the school meals are not making kids fat.

Pizzas That Are Heart Healthy | LIVESTRONG.COM
"All Foods Fit in a Healthy Diet"

Old 09-02-2014, 09:48 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post

We eat pizza often. Thin whole wheat crust, tomato sauce with no added sugar, plenty of veggies (right now, they are from our garden), shredded poached chicken, and topped with shredded part-skim mozzarella. Served with a salad and fruit, that's a perfectly healthy dinner, and it's delicious. Pizza gets a bad rap.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The school lunch program has seen a lot of changes since I first ate a "school lunch" in 1961, but, it has always been one lunch per day. Students with different needs have always had to work it out, e.g. bring more food, different food, whatever.
That was the exception not the rule.

Quote:
Do kids' bodies work differently in Arizona than DC? I don't think so! The school lunches are calculated to give roughly 1/3 the calories and nutrients a kid needs for the day. They can augment that with their other meals and snacks. The calorie allotments are higher for high school students than elementary students. Any school district is free to opt-out of the school lunch program and do their own. Few do, b/c the federal program provides subsidies.
They have to pay into it whether they take back out of it or not. That needs to stop. You can not make a one size fits all nutrition program. Those who believe you can are simply missing something in their own lives and develop this insane desire to control the lives of others to compensate.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:52 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Feeding them noodles and celery is not exercise. I already addressed your point earlier. If you would stick to the topic, school lunches, it would be appreciated.

Strawman. Nobody, absolutely no one is arguing that a good lunch is donuts. Did you answer my question above? No you didn't.

The 6'3 240 lb linebacker is considered obese. Is that really a valid description or rather someone trying to pull the wool over your eyes?

You seem to be the one who is not sticking to the topic. You are the one who brought adult athletes into the conservation which isn't the topic. Are we now talking about college kids? I am talking about elementary, middle and high schools kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies