Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 12:01 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

1) You committed a violent "strong arm" robbery and intimidated a business owner...

2) 10 minutes later you are intimidating others in your neighborhood by blocking traffic in the street...

3) While holding the stolen property from item 1, you are approached by a cop and requested to move your ignorant a** out of the street...

4) Instead of following the directions of the officer, you assault him, punching him in the face...

5) You attempt to take the officer's weapon and use it against him...

6) The weapon discharges...

7) You begin to run away...

8) Then decide that, since you outweigh the cop by ~100 lbs and have gotten away with bullying others....

9) You decide to lower your head and charge the cop.

What would you expect to happen at that point? Remember, you're one of those "privileged" white males, who the cops "ignore".

Our police in my neighborhood are very polite and professional in my experience. I have had a few contacts...I tend to have a different opinion about what is a reasonable speed than those silly signs.

However...if instead of turning over my license and registration, I decided to assault the cop, fight him for his gun, and when I have the chance to escape, I in turn, charge and attack him...I think the situation just might not turn out so well for me. He just may take actions to protect himself, rather than allowing me to further beat him, take his weapon and perhaps kill him.

But hey, that's just my opinion. What do the rest of you think?

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 08-24-2014 at 12:49 PM..

Old 08-24-2014, 12:07 PM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Here's a great article written by a cop ...

Don't challenge a cop during a stop - Chicago Tribune

Quote:
Even though it might sound harsh and impolitic, here is the bottom line: If you don't want to get shot, tasered, pepper-sprayed, struck with a baton or thrown to the ground, just do what I tell you. Don't argue with me, don't call me names, don't tell me that I can't stop you, don't say I'm a racist pig, don't threaten that you'll sue me and take away my badge. Don't scream at me that you pay my salary, and don't even think of aggressively walking toward me. Most field stops are complete in minutes. How difficult is it to cooperate for that long?

Old 08-24-2014, 12:16 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I'm part of the so called "privileged white".... I've been stopped a few times and I've always been overly polite and try my best to be civil.

I don't look like a typical white dude, I've got long hair and a goatee and while I'm not tough, when I'm not smiling I can look a little intimating so that being said...I've made it a point to be civil when I'm engaged with police.

Does abuse happen by the police... of course, but black, white or purple you act civil and not confrontational and you shouldn't have any problems.

That Michael Brown kid wasn't an altar boy.... did he deserve to be shot???... all the evidence needs to be weighed and dealt with... all of these knee jerk reactions need to be halted and let the investigation pan out.

If it turns out the cop was in the wrong, he needs to be dealt with, if that includes firing or jail, then so be it.

But to convict the guy in the media before all is settled is not right either.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:22 PM

2,417 posts, read 1,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
1) You committed a violent "strong arm" robbery and intimidated a business owner...

2) 10 minutes later you are intimidating others in your neighborhood by blocking traffic in the street...

3) While holding the stolen property from item 1, you are approached by a cop and requested to move your ignorant a** out of the street...

4) Instead of following the directions of the officer, you assault him, punching him in the face...

5) You attempt to take the officer's weapon and use it against him...

6) The weapon discharges...

7) You begin to run away...

8) Then decide that, since you outweigh the cop by ~100 lbs and have gotten away with bullying others....

What would you expect to happen at that point? Remember, you're one of those "privileged" white males, who the cops "ignore".

Our police in my neighborhood are very polite and professional in my experience. I have had a few contacts...I tend to have a different opinion about what is a reasonable speed than those silly signs.

However...if instead of turning over my license and registration, I decided to assault the cop, fight him for his gun, and when I have the chance to escape, I in turn charge and attack him...I think the situation just might not turn out so well. He just may take actions to protect himself, rather than allowing me to further beat him, take his weapon and perhaps kill him.

But hey, that's just my opinion. What do the rest of you think?

So what are you saying?

Old 08-24-2014, 12:24 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
I'm pretty sure I would be tased.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:39 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
That is just your version of events.
Let's try the other side of extreme arguments:

What if Brown paid for the cigarettes but the dispute was over carding?
What if the cop didn't know about the 'robbery' but was just hassling black kids walking down a quiet residential street?
What if the cop started to drive off but didn't like being 'dissed' and backed up to continue the encounter?
What if he stayed in the car and grabbed Brown by the shirt through his window?
What if Brown resisted and tried to pull away and the cop pulled his gun?
What if Brown struggled with the officer to get away and to avoid being shot?
What if the officer shot him from the car then followed him 35 feet down the street while still shooting?
What if Brown turned around and was then shot multiple times - twice in the face?

What if the truth is somewhere in between?

Old 08-24-2014, 12:41 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
If that were me, I'd expect to be thrown in jail and I'd be mad, but I'd have no one to blame but myself.

by the way, since I would not enjoy the possible consequences, I'd do something to prevent it. Problem solved!

Old 08-24-2014, 12:43 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
So what are you saying?
Don't act like a jackass like the guy who died being a jackass.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:46 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Seriously? He charged the officer with his head down at 90 degrees, looking at his feet, and got shot bullseye in the crown of his head?

Old 08-24-2014, 12:48 PM

2,417 posts, read 1,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Don't act like a jackass like the guy who died being a jackass.
Firstly we don't know what happened concerning the Ferguson case. For a guy that was supposedly on the verge of unconsciousness and having a broken eye socket, he looked mighty fine pacing back and forth over Mike Brown's body. Yet given all that is true, it's like the mood in here is saying there is no such thing as police brutality in the black community. That making up more than 40% of the prison population is all because black people don't know how to act. That's an amazing claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies