Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 04:38 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
No one is forcing the Muslim community to consume bacon or any other pork product. Why should it be removed from the menu. I have gone out to eat with people that keep Kosher and the restaurant was not a Kosher restaurant. They simply asked for fish cooked in tin foil and plastic utensils. Vegetarians may ask for something customized not to include a meat product but they don't ask items to be removed from the menu. I would love to know why is that we must change our ways for their benefit when to date it has not been done with any other group that may have food exclusions. Any restaurant that does this is off my list of places to eat. The first restaurant eliminated is Subway since they have not only removed menu items but also are purchasing food from companies that prepare the food in their special way.
well it all begins with someone "offended". and the worst part is that the person complied to her demands. this is ridiculous. in her country she would not have ANY rights to demand anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 04:39 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
From the article:

1. Comment from the restaurant: "Their goal was never to cause stress or bad feelings" and "their goal is to provide a joyful place for the entire community"

2. Comment from the city manager: "The cool part of living in a diverse community is that it's not always comfortable. It's a fascinating place with lots of opportunities for conversation"

3. Comment from the individual in question: "........insensitive to those who do not consume pork. She said as a Muslim she is personally offended by it".

This little Vermont town is obviously encircled by rainbows, and wakes its residents to the singing of blue birds on windowsills.

I can understand why the offense of one woman would require the squashing of a marketing strategy, a fence-mending address from the business owner and a press release by the city manager reassuring just how special their community is because of its diversity (we don't hate you - we love you - really we do).

How - in a country of 320 million people - do we prevent EVERYONE from being upset, hurt, stressed, or insulted?

Happy Happy Joy Joy Citizen.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:43 PM

140 posts, read 126,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
No one is forcing the Muslim community to consume bacon or any other pork product. Why should it be removed from the menu. I have gone out to eat with people that keep Kosher and the restaurant was not a Kosher restaurant. They simply asked for fish cooked in tin foil and plastic utensils. Vegetarians may ask for something customized not to include a meat product but they don't ask items to be removed from the menu. I would love to know why is that we must change our ways for their benefit when to date it has not been done with any other group that may have food exclusions. Any restaurant that does this is off my list of places to eat. The first restaurant eliminated is Subway since they have not only removed menu items but also are purchasing food from companies that prepare the food in their special way.
No one forced the bistro to remove the ad. Seems like a agreement that both sides agreed to. Why be angry? Make a lb. of bacon and enjoy.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:44 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
liberals have surely made an attempt to destroy vermont.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:45 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb Vermont restaurant removes offensive bacon ad after Muslim woman complains

I love bacon.

Whiny biotches? Not so much.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:52 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It's ridiculous. Offended by a sign with the word bacon on it.

I'm shocked she hasn't declared a fatwa on Kevin Bacon, and anybody that is within 6 degrees of him.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:53 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
^^ Eating a BLT as I read this.... tee hee........

Old 08-24-2014, 04:53 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Hindus don't eat beef. Will they take hamburgers off the menu next?
I don't think you read or understood the event thoroughly.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:55 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
I'm shocked she hasn't declared a fatwa on Kevin Bacon, and anybody that is within 6 degrees of him.
hahaha A good one.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:57 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
^^ Eating a BLT as I read this.... tee hee........
Beware of the Burqa Bloodbath lurking outside of your kitchen window.....lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies