Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 12:44 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times

Advertisements

Why?

Simple math.

USA corporate tax rate? 35%

Canadian corporate tax rate? 15%

Oh, and Canada has universal healthcare.

What a concept, less tax, healthcare for everyone, and a balanced budget this next year.

Bruger King and Tim Hortons discussing combining companies with headquarters in Canada | Fox Business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 12:51 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,498 times
The tax rate itself isn't the reason why corporations are doing these tax inversions. The taxation of foreign earnings (which only China and the US does) is the main reason why companies are relocating to foreign countries. Canada btw has a balanced budget due to its energy boom from the Albertan oil sands.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
The tax rate itself isn't the reason why corporations are doing these tax inversions. The taxation of foreign earnings (which only China and the US does) is the main reason why companies are relocating to foreign countries. Canada btw has a balanced budget due to its energy boom from the Albertan oil sands.
No, that is incorrect. The Alberta government is the one who gets most of it's revenue from oil sand's taxation, although the oil sands are a major economic impact. Your forgetting that the US has had a major revenue creator from the Bakken field in the Dakotas, and the shale oil discoveries.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:00 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Why?

Simple math.

USA corporate tax rate? 35%

Canadian corporate tax rate? 15%

Oh, and Canada has universal healthcare.

What a concept, less tax, healthcare for everyone, and a balanced budget this next year.

Bruger King and Tim Hortons discussing combining companies with headquarters in Canada | Fox Business
This has nothing to do with healthcare. They're doing this for the taxes. Obama has asked congress to address this loophole... We'll see what happens...

Old 08-25-2014, 01:05 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,293 times
In Congress? I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
This has nothing to do with healthcare. They're doing this for the taxes. Obama has asked congress to address this loophole... We'll see what happens...
Healthcare is just an added benefit, your right, it is a tax issue.

I wonder why the USA is the highest corporate tax in the OECD?

Old 08-25-2014, 02:22 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Default Burger King may move to Canada to avoid US taxes

Burger King is in talks to buy Canada's iconic Tim Horton's coffee shop chain. This will allow them to move to Canada to avoid higher US higher taxes.

"In a recent Washington Post op-ed, Treasury Secretary Jack Lew urged Congress to pass legislation the Obama administration has been proposing that would overhaul the corporate tax code to make inversions less appealing."

A Tax Inversion Deal Is On The Menu For Burger King - Forbes

Burger King Is In Talks To Buy Canada's Most Famous Donut Chain To Avoid US Taxes - Business Insider

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_inversion

Old 08-25-2014, 04:52 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,530 times
I hope Congress will finally take up that legislation to halt inversions. The 2004 law passed by Congress did not quite go far enough. I would love to see jobs created here for American citizens.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:23 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Burger King is in talks to buy Canada's iconic Tim Horton's coffee shop chain. This will allow them to move to Canada to avoid higher US higher taxes.

"In a recent Washington Post op-ed, Treasury Secretary Jack Lew urged Congress to pass legislation the Obama administration has been proposing that would overhaul the corporate tax code to make inversions less appealing."

A Tax Inversion Deal Is On The Menu For Burger King - Forbes

Burger King Is In Talks To Buy Canada's Most Famous Donut Chain To Avoid US Taxes - Business Insider

Tax inversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I hope the Congress listens, but I think they will not even talk about doing it, because like with immigration, they see more political ammo in complaining about the problem than in fixing it.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:08 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I hope the Congress listens, but I think they will not even talk about doing it, because like with immigration, they see more political ammo in complaining about the problem than in fixing it.
Agreed. I doubt the House would pass such a measure anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies