Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 12:18 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Beyond the initial hysteria, I want a link for that exact quote e.g. "on his knees, begging for his life" attributed to an actual eye-witness, person, not a mob. Same with "hands up, don't shoot"

Eye witnesses, according to news, stated Brown had both of his hands up but no one has been attributed to hearing the phrase "hands up, don't shoot". Not one of those two quotes have been attached to a real person, that I know of. If you have a link, present it.

Really, for argument sake, let's not take general statements and use them as argument, to try to prove real eye witnesses don't know what they saw or what they were saying.

The autopsy doesn't discount eye witness testimony. Just that Brown was not shot in the back.
In something happening, someone going, turning, that is an understandable mistake/assumption.
Yes, it was claimed by a 'witness' that he was on his knees begging for his life. Take a look at the early stories and witness statements to the media before the autopsy by the family. The stories have changed considerably since the physical evidence no longer matches these 'witness' accounts. Here you go.

Among Michael Brown's neighbors, anger over a future lost - LA Times
Quote:
"The officer kept shooting and he fell to his knees, begging for his life," the woman said. "That's when he finished him off, shot him in the head."
See? Yet another reason I never trust a 'witness' that will run to the media. I always question their motive when doing so.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:34 PM

503 posts, read 772,343 times
Quote:
Beyond the initial hysteria, I want a link for that exact quote e.g. "on his knees, begging for his life" attributed to an actual eye-witness, person, not a mob. Same with "hands up, don't shoot"

Eye witnesses, according to news, stated Brown had both of his hands up but no one has been attributed to hearing the phrase "hands up, don't shoot". Not one of those two quotes have been attached to a real person, that I know of. If you have a link, present it.

Really, for argument sake, let's not take general statements and use them as argument, to try to prove real eye witnesses don't know what they saw or what they were saying.

The autopsy doesn't discount eye witness testimony. Just that Brown was not shot in the back.
In something happening, someone going, turning, that is an understandable mistake/assumption.
LMGTFY https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...on't+shoot

Google "hands up don't shoot". You will get what you seek.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:13 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The grand jury is a moot point. The prosecutor completely controls the grand jury case. No defense is allowed to be present. Since the protesters locally are literally threatening to burn down the city of Ferguson if the officer is not indicted, he will almost certainly go to trial.
What matters is the trial itself.
I agree. This will go to trial because of mob mentality & PC politics. At that point Wilson will be cleared of all charges & some people will go nuts anyhow. It'll be the same people who convicted instantly anyhow. These people aren't interested in justice, just racial vengeance.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:42 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I agree. This will go to trial because of mob mentality & PC politics. At that point Wilson will be cleared of all charges & some people will go nuts anyhow. It'll be the same people who convicted instantly anyhow. These people aren't interested in justice, just racial vengeance.
I disagree with you on why it might go to the Grand Jury. But if that is what you believe, why do you believe there won't be a conviction, based on the same PC politics and mob mentality then? You do realize those jurors are members of the surrounding community, right?

I actually give jurors more credit than that. IF it goes to trial, I believe they will be fair and convict in the confines of the law, evidence presenting.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:48 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
And if the verdict is Guilty, I guarantee many [you ?] will moan and groan that the jury ignored the evidence to pacify an angry community, or racism, or stupidity, or a biased judge.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:17 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
And if the verdict is Guilty, I guarantee many [you ?] will moan and groan that the jury ignored the evidence to pacify an angry community, or racism, or stupidity, or a biased judge.
Was going to make the same point.

If it turns out that the witnesses were lying (or at least the public ones) then there must be more than 1 witness I would assume who would back up the officer's story.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I've said since day one that if this officer murdered Michael Brown as he had his hands in the air, surrendering, that he needs to go down. I stand by that.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Was going to make the same point.

If it turns out that the witnesses were lying (or at least the public ones) then there must be more than 1 witness I would assume who would back up the officer's story.
If you believe the rumors (which you don't) the defense will parade out 12 witnesses who will all corroborate Wilson's account, including Dorian Johnson who allegedly has changed his story & is under police protection. Of course I don't think Johnson's a credible witness for the defense anymore than I think he's a credible witness for the prosecution.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:06 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
No. Only the one that they stated was vague, as in, one was not really filed, except name date - basic stuff. Wilson never filed an incident report after shooting Brown because St. Louis County Police Department took over the investigation immediately.

So, if there is not a detailed report, there is nothing in evidence to incriminate Wilson there, and that works in his favor IMO.
Please explain where you come up with that from?

Old 09-09-2014, 06:14 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Please explain where you come up with that from?
Which part - the vague police incident report:

Michael Brown Shooting: Why Ferguson Police Never Filed 'Incident Report' - NBC News

http://time.com/3159680/ferguson-mic...police-report/

or the fact that it will work in Wilson's favor. That is my opinion. The grand jury only hears
what the prosecutor presents. If the initial police incident report is vague, then there is no opportunity for any other evidence, e.g. forensic, to contradict what Wilson put down, because there is nothing there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies