Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
No he's not. The constitution prohibits our government from sponsoring any religion.
Thats not true. In fact when this nation was formed there were numerous state sponsored churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 09:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I find it interesting that anytime someone bashes a christian for saying something dumb, the left automatically assumes they are conservative, almost as if there are no left wing religious wackos in this nation..
Just out of curiousity, which left wing religious wackos would those be? Could you name some? I'd like to learn more.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:47 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Just out of curiousity, which left wing religious wackos would those be? Could you name some? I'd like to learn more.
yes because clearly left wingers arent at all religious..

oh wait

Religious people are more likely to be leftwing, says thinktank Demos | World news | The Observer

The report found that 55% of people with faith placed themselves on the left of politics, compared with 40% who placed themselves on the right.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:02 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well he's right about the fact that this is a Christian nation. Punishing homosexuals though is crazy.
Wrong, this is not a christian nation, it is a free nation for people of all nationalities and beliefs. It may be predominantly christian, but it is not a christian nation. That is a fact.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:31 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well he's right about the fact that this is a Christian nation. Punishing homosexuals though is crazy.
We arent a Christian nation.

Our nations name is not the The Holy Christian Republic of America

Old 08-25-2014, 10:35 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
once again it was the OP that made the claim.. I just questioned how they came to that conclusion..

And the only way you would have a problem with my question, is if you state there are no left wing religious wackos in america..

Do you really believe this, or did you run off and defend left wing wackos because I asked about them without thinking the question through clearly first before you responded?
What exactly does a "Left" wing religious wacko look like.

I mean, i have been told by people on this very forum that you cant be a Republican if you believe in certain things, does that not apply to the other side as well.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What exactly does a "Left" wing religious wacko look like.

I mean, i have been told by people on this very forum that you cant be a Republican if you believe in certain things, does that not apply to the other side as well.
Beats me. The person who made the claim just keeps spinning in circles.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:43 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
He's actually wrong about everything.
That and a disgrace to the pulpit and Christianity.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:06 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
I hope this closet case, and other people like him, keep talking. They are the hardest working and most effective allies the gay rights movement has.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:00 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
No he's not. The constitution prohibits our government from sponsoring any religion. This is a secular nation that values freedom of religion, yes even non-Christian ones. Is Christianity currently the dominant religion among the people? Yes it is but we (thankfully) do not live in a theocracy and are free to embrace or reject any or all religions.
By "sponsoring," what do you mean?

The First Amendment states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

What do the words, "make no law" mean to you? An establishment of religion means establishing one religion as the only officially recognized religion.

When you start playing word games, instead of sticking to the words actually written in the Constitution, you start to imply other meanings that aren't intended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies