Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 05:17 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
thanks for admitting that big pharma opiate pain killers are the real gate way to hard drugs..

people in the Netherlands smoke half as much mj per capita as do in the us and it is practically legal..
Opiates are hard drugs. The Holland experiment was a disaster. Let's hope we do not have to experience the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 07:54 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Opiates are hard drugs. The Holland experiment was a disaster. Let's hope we do not have to experience the same.

yep big pharma creating hard drug addicts... 50% less people smoke weed in the Netherlands per capita than in the usa and it is practically legal there...

Old 08-28-2014, 08:00 PM

a new city waking up from the prohibitionist reefer madness syndrome..

Santa Fe city council votes to decriminalize marijuana | Reuters

Old 08-28-2014, 08:25 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Quote:
Opiates are hard drugs.
Florida has one of the highest opiate dependency and overdose rates in the country.

You should be happy that in November, mmj is coming to your state.

The life it saves could be one of your neighbors, friends, a family member, or even yourself!

Cheer up. Your state is moving one step closer to freedom.

Last edited by jburress; 08-28-2014 at 09:07 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 09:01 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
Quote:
Right, based on exactly no proof...

Old 08-28-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Florida has one of the highest opiate dependency and overdose rates in the country.

The life it saves could be one of your neighbors, friends, a family member, or even yourself!

think about it.. less heroin addicts, less coke addicts, less meth addicts, less hard drug use all around including alcohol.. when the stats come out in the years to come, fin will still beach about weed

Old 08-29-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Right, based on exactly no proof...
The Holland (Dutch) Experiment

Holland has decriminalized drugs and tried harm reduction. Since the softening of drug policy there, shootings have increased 40%, robberies 62%, and car thefts 62%. This experiment which was meant to decrease organized crime has resulted in an increase in organized crime families from 3 in 1988 to 93 today.

The number of registered marijuana addicts has risen 30% and the number of other addicts has risen 22%

The PortugueseExperiment

In Portugal, since decriminalization has been implemented, the number of homicides related to drugs has increased 40%. "It was the only European country with a significant increase in (drug-related) murders between 2001 and 2006" (WDR, 2009).

Heroin consumption rose 57.5% in recent years

At variance with what official agencies have recently disclosed, the problem of drug dependence in Portugal has never been more serious: Between 2001, the year the decriminalization law went into effect, and 2007, continued consumption of narcotics rose, in absolute terms, by 66%.

In this period In this period consumption increased 215% for cocaine, 85% for ecstasy, 57.5% for heroine and 37% for cannabis.. These data are from a report of the Institute of Drugs and Drug Dependence (IDT), published in 2008.

Since decriminalization there has been a 50% increase in drug use among young people between the ages of 20 and 24. On the other hand, the number of persons who have experimented with illicit drugs at least once rose from 7.8% in 2001 to 12% in 2007 (IDT Report of Activities of Nov 2008).

Old 08-29-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
think about it.. less heroin addicts, less coke addicts, less meth addicts, less hard drug use all around including alcohol.. when the stats come out in the years to come, fin will still beach about weed
You think people will quit heroin and switch to pot? Why haven't they done so already? Think about what you say,

Old 08-29-2014, 06:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Keeping something illegal creates crime. Eve bit the apple, its human nature and curiosity to want what is forbidden. I may never try or use something that is commonplace - where is the 'cool' factor in that? But, my curiosity might be heightened ifs its forbidden to me, yet available to me. There is an added temptation to know more about something forbidden.

If it is at least less harmful, and to many people a beneficial susbstance, than what is already legal, what would be the problem with taking it out of the hands of Criminals and Police, and keeping it regulated just as alcohol is taxed and regulated, while making it available to adults in a legal and safer environment? There is still Police involvement here (like tobacco and alcohol in regard to minors), but its on a safer and friendlier level. Its safer and friendlier for everybody. Everybody is less likely to kill or be killed over weed. The Justice System can take them off their Court Dockets for the most part. Why create criminals?

I remember Woody Harrelson with his Hemp Campaign. I know from a long long time ago American Farmers could use a good cash crop. It could rejuvenate the economy overall. Marijuana has that potential. Heck, we might even start exporting something besides soldiers again! Its that good.

I know there are states that are dry on alcohol, and by maintaining a state's right to keep more stringent laws in this regard, states should have the right to be weed dry too. Individual states. Neighboring states should not find their borders harassed by Police traps in that regard either. That's almost as bad as trying to traverse the Del-Mar-Va Penninsula without seeing all three states represented with speed traps - one right after the other. The interest of good neighborly relations and tourism should prevail here.

People might even stay in their own countries and grow for profit, instead of risking their lives to try come here. By making the whole thing regulated instead of criminalized, we make a safer, healthier, and more sustainable world for the generations to come.

Disclaimer: When i speak I only represent myself.

I agree. I'm all for legalization and taking the profits out of the black market, and the Prison Industrial Complex that benefits from creating more criminals. And I too feel it should be left to the states, but any state that would still prohibit it, is missing the boat. As for dry alcohol states, those are more or less dry counties. We have them here in Ohio. It doesn't mean you can't have or bring alcohol into those regions. It just means they don't sell it there. The bed and breakfast that my wife and I stayed at in Amish Country for our 10 year anniversary was dry, and they didn't sell it there. We brought our own alcohol. No problem.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:36 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Yes. Opiates are not something to play around with. Knowing this, and knowing there is an option out there that is a safer alternative, is physically non-addictive, and does far less damage to your body, less serious side effects, why would you oppose it and continue to hinder people from obtaining something that could help them?

Quote:
yep big pharma creating hard drug addicts... 50% less people smoke weed in the Netherlands per capita than in the usa and it is practically legal there...
Indeed they do. So tell me who the real drug dealers are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post

I hope that Florida passes it. Perhaps my state Ohio will finally follow suit?

Quote:
It's possible.

Quote:
You think people will quit heroin and switch to pot? Why haven't they done so already? Think about what you say,
See above. It's possible. Why partake in much more dangerous things like opiates, run the risk of acquiring a horrible addiction, when there is an option for a less harmful substance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies