Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,640 times

Advertisements

To be fair the Gap between whites and the Ashkenazic Jews might not be warranted to think about. The Ashkenazic Jews are such a small minority (unless you look at scientific achievement, then whew!) that we should not be comparing our childrens grades and test score to them. We need to focus more on closing the Gap between the Asians, however I have seen research that shows our Gap closes a bit when it comes to actual achievement in the "real" world.

I'm not sure I'm ready to force my kids to play violin two hours a day after they've memorized the periodic table in the hopes that they can get into MIT over Stanford. Law of diminishing returns and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 08:55 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
People ultimately have to want to succeed in education or dollars will never help.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:55 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This is exactly why they have to change their thinking. If they would focus on the education problems, the diversity would happen as a natural effect of better students and their improved future.

They are trying to force something 20 years ahead of when it would happen naturally if they would just focus on THEIR JOBS. They have to find a way to get the parents on board with education.
You're right but the school system could do so little in terms of improving their academics. I've mentioned this already and will say this again. Areas where the low-performing schools are located are filled with Section 8 housing. This is the responsibility of the County Council and the HOC who manages these properties. It's tied to a policy by the state of Maryland called "Smart Growth" to maintain "economic segregation". Much of those places are occupied with illegals and poor kids/families around the DC area. It is also where much of the crime and problems are in the county.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Hey, I live here alright? I know what they are spending on the programs. Like feeding the kids breakfast in the inner city schools because their parents send them to school with no breakfast.

Or busing the kids to schools 30 miles from their home because they think it's the school's fault that the kid will not do the work. That costs a lot of money.
Feeding kids =/= more funding for instruction.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:02 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times
Well, I'm afraid a significant portion of black America (and white America and other ethnicity America) isn't interested in money for education. Getting an education requires hard work. Much easier to just get the government to directly subsidize your existence. Hence the Democrat party's success and popoularity with those who don't carry their own weight.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:02 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Funny how the "we can't fix this by throwing more money at it" only seems to be the operative theory when it comes to trying to fix domestic issues.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I think Washington DC is a prime example of how money does NOT fix education.

DC Schools: $29,349 Per Pupil, 83% Not Proficient in Reading | CNS News

Study: No Link Between School Spending, Student Achievement « CBS DC

Which places spent most per student on education? – Schools of Thought - CNN.com Blogs

Finland is consistently ranked number one in the world in terms of education (sometimes swapping place with South Korea), and they do not spend a crazy amount of money on education.

The Finnish miracle - Academics & Activities | GreatSchools
The reason per pupil spending matter sometimes and not other times is because of the way it is calculated.

If per pupil spending is including sports team cost, then it isnt actually talking about their education now is it ?

Old 08-26-2014, 11:21 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,489 times
Quote:
The State of Minnesota is throwing millions and millions of dollars at this problem and this article proves that you cannot fix this problem with more state employees and more money. I'm sure states all over the country are experiencing this same thing. Education begins in the home and it will always begin in the home.

The problem is getting worse and worse and threatens the very future of this country as a world leader and a world power. We have got to get the little kids out of bad homes, talk about civil rights. It's the 0-3 year old's civil rights we should be most concerned with. They deserve an equal footing in this country but they are not getting what they need from their terrible parents.

State standardized test scores show little change; achievement gap persists | Star Tribune
I imagine that doing the things that are done in the countries with higher and more equitable standards of achievement would be an easy fix.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:23 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
I imagine that doing the things that are done in the countries with higher and more equitable standards of achievement would be an easy fix.
Restrictive immigration? Yep, totally agree.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:46 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times
The solution is to REMOVE the children from the home and take them to an education camp until they graduate. You will remain there until you pass the final exam. Some will get out early because they take it seriously and apply themselves. Others will goof off and may never get out. No cell phones. No TV. Nothing but school. No time wasted on "social programs" or other "touchy feely" garbage. Everyone is treated the same and expected to get an education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies