Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 06:52 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Shrug. Why then is the school property tax rate on my home four times the rate on the home next door? Why not 100 times more? Costs renters nothing, right?

Zoning inflates rents, and I do write a check for the inflated rent. I pay more to rent a ROOM than my next door neighbor pays to own a HOUSE.
It's more because it's a business, not a residence. It's the same as with any business.

You pay more to rent a room because of your life circumstances, not because of zoning. Your neighbor didn't spend 30 years working minimum wage jobs, ruining their credit, and doing nothing to better their situation. Instead, they put home ownership as a priority in their life, and made it happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Show me one I can afford. It's actually very difficult to PLACE an older trailer in a trailer park; they're not wanted. show me one with transit access I can afford.
Ah yes. Back to caviar taste on a McDonalds budget. You want the ONE living arrangement that you've decided is perfect for you, and should be made affordable to someone that flips burgers for a living.

Sorry, life doesn't work that way.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
If I can afford House A, and government says A can be sold ONLY in conjunction with the sale of House B, how can you say nothing prevents me from buying a home except MONEY ad credit worthiness?
THAT home. But as we've seen, you set your sights on the ONE thing that you've decided you should have, and when you don't get it, you quit.

Here's a news flash: if you can barely afford a room in a house, no matter what you've convinced yourself, you would never have been able to afford your magical home.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:12 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinoza 1454 View Post
This alternet article shows us that we need to make some serious changes in this country. I for one believe that it is high time to tax the wealthy with a wealth tax. We should also raise payroll tax cap on Social Security. There is no reason in the world that Americans should be living like gypsy's in their retirement years. This is truly an outrage.

Shocking Picture of What Life Will Look Like When You Can't Afford to Retire | Alternet

Shocking Picture of What Life Will Look Like When You Can't Afford to Retire
Your retirement is your responsibility.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:38 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
How do you explain Europe then? Almost everyone rents in Europe. Are they all worse off?
If almost everyone rents, then who are the landlords?

Old 08-27-2014, 08:47 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Ah yes. Back to caviar taste on a McDonalds budget. You want the ONE living arrangement that you've decided is perfect for you, and should be made affordable to someone that flips burgers for a living.

Sorry, life doesn't work that way.
Welfare mentality.

Endemic nowadays.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Its a tough life if you are over 50 and jobless.

I've read that if you fit in that category it doesn't matter what your educational background is, what job you had your chances of finding something comparable is less than 10%. And that has happened to a lot of people the last few years.

Anyone can find themselves in that position. Companies close/merge all the time. Or else you might have some serious medical problem and can no longer work. Almost everyone posting on this forum could run into that.
I'm 58 and I just got the second highest paying job of my life. Yes, it took me longer to find than jobs I held in my 20s and 30s, but I am far from obsolete.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-27-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
It's not that easy anymore. Do you have any idea how many apply for the same job....hundreds if not more. The majority don't even get an interview. I know people who have sent out hundreds of their resumes for jobs that they are highly qualified for. Unfortunately, there are many just as qualified. And this is the real world. Your world is a fantasy.
I've discovered that in this day and age, nobody really wants to work (especially people under 40). If you apply for those "less attractive" jobs that require a lot of work the numbers of applicants are considerably smaller and the turn-over is astronomical. The work may not be glamorous, but it's an honorable job and a paycheck. Not everybody can be a CEO.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-27-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
How do you explain Europe then? Almost everyone rents in Europe. Are they all worse off?
Europe is not the United States. You are comparing Oranges to Apples. You might as well make comparisons to the moon.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-27-2014, 07:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
It's more because it's a business, not a residence. It's the same as with any business.

You pay more to rent a room because of your life circumstances, not because of zoning. Your neighbor didn't spend 30 years working minimum wage jobs, ruining their credit, and doing nothing to better their situation. Instead, they put home ownership as a priority in their life, and made it happen.

What exacty did I do to ruin my credit? Did I overspend or mismanage my money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies