Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 11:40 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinoza 1454 View Post
This alternet article shows us that we need to make some serious changes in this country. I for one believe that it is high time to tax the wealthy with a wealth tax. We should also raise payroll tax cap on Social Security. There is no reason in the world that Americans should be living like gypsy's in their retirement years. This is truly an outrage.

Shocking Picture of What Life Will Look Like When You Can't Afford to Retire | Alternet

Shocking Picture of What Life Will Look Like When You Can't Afford to Retire
My friend is 30, has no 401k savings and contribute nothing to their 401k losing the 6% employer match in the process. They just spent the money that could have been in their 401k....on a trip to vegas.

They aren't alone either.

How about instead of doing that you increases the FICA tax and increase SS benefits, essentially more forced saving by those whom won't.

SS already has penalties built in for the "rich" by making the benefit unproportional. (ie. the guy making 90k does not get 3x the SS payout that the guy making 30k gets)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 11:41 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Zoning redistributes income from renters to owners (Sowell) and thus generally upward. One could argue that it's only fair that victims of theft get restitution for what was stolen from them.
Here we go again......

A - you do not pay property tax. You don't write a check, your name is not on the tax rolls. You pay a business owner an agreed upon amount for a place to live. This applies to other business expenses, but I don't think you honestly believe that you pay payroll taxes, ss, etc. Do you?

Therefore, you have had NOTHING taken from you.

B - homeowners do not receive money. They may get an exemption, based on the fact that their dwelling is their "homestead" and not a business. But they do not receive any money.

Theft? Victims? Stolen? Seriously?

Old 08-26-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
No, I blame government from redistributing income from renters to owners.
That's why you're a failure? I thought it was because you didn't get that ONE job 30 years ago, that doomed you to a lifetime of minimum wage jobs?

Old 08-26-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
You can live somewhere with little zoning (I do). You can live somewhere the housing is affordable - again, I do.

You have to solve the problems of how to afford a house if you want to own a house. No one is going to make decisions for you and come up with the right answer for you - because no one understands your needs and preferences as well as you do yourself. That logic includes the suggestions I made above - those worked for me, but they may not work for you.
No, no, no. Don't you know there's only ONE house that will do. And when that ONE house is unavailable, there is no plan b. Just like when that ONE job 30 years ago didn't work out, there was no plan b.

I'm seeing a trend.....

Old 08-26-2014, 11:46 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
??? The only tiny houses here are overpriced hipster houses.
I found like 50+ trailer/RV parks in the Portland area within 30 seconds of google searching. Buy a trailer, move to the trailer park.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:02 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Zoning redistributes income from renters to owners (Sowell) and thus generally upward. One could argue that it's only fair that victims of theft get restitution for what was stolen from them.
I get that you want FREE rent and that you disagree that owners of rental properties should be allowed to charge rent. You think that is "theft".

Quote:
Zoning prevents me from buying a home I can afford. (See the circularity?)
Nothing prevents you from buying a home except MONEY & Credit worthiness.
and YES - I do see your 'spin', but only other goofy Leftists will ever buy what you are selling.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:11 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My friend is 30, has no 401k savings and contribute nothing to their 401k losing the 6% employer match in the process. They just spent the money that could have been in their 401k....on a trip to vegas.

They aren't alone either.

How about instead of doing that you increases the FICA tax and increase SS benefits, essentially more forced saving by those whom won't.

SS already has penalties built in for the "rich" by making the benefit unproportional. (ie. the guy making 90k does not get 3x the SS payout that the guy making 30k gets)
Or we can just let people take responsibility for their actions. I know, crazy talk.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:21 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Get a better job or better skill that is marketable. That's what everyone else does, it's time to join the real world.
Oh, like, say, airline pilot?

Sully: Pilot Pay Cuts Put Planes In Peril - CBS News

You're dreaming if you think what is marketable now will be marketable throughout your lifetime.

A government that encourages, for economic reasons, business churning, should also be making sure that workers have a safety net.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:47 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Stop being a minimum wage worker.

Or, work three jobs.
Sounds good except for the fact that a person is lucky enough to find one job in this economy let alone two or three. Especially, most especially, the demographic you're referencing. It would be a major miracle if we could, at this point, create enough jobs for every one that needs or wants a job to have one job let alone create enough work for everyone to work as many jobs as it takes to be self sufficient. Under this economic paradigm that's simply impossible. It's never going to happen so posting "solutions" like work more than one job when we can't even get the people that need one job a job is ridiculous.

There's simply not enough jobs. Nothing except some sort of systemic change will correct that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EamO7-ITtbo

America’s Structural Job Depression Is Here To Stay | Investment Research Dynamics

Defining Away Economic Failure -- Paul Craig Roberts - PaulCraigRoberts.org

Making 9 Million Jobless "Vanish": How The Government Manipulates Unemployment Statistics by Daniel Amerman

Old 08-26-2014, 01:51 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Oh, like, say, airline pilot?

Sully: Pilot Pay Cuts Put Planes In Peril - CBS News

You're dreaming if you think what is marketable now will be marketable throughout your lifetime.

A government that encourages, for economic reasons, business churning, should also be making sure that workers have a safety net.
If it becomes non marketable, adapt and retrain for something else. That's how it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies