Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 05:28 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucario View Post
really? Have you seen barack obama?
rofl

Old 08-31-2014, 05:38 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,441,177 times
This country has gotten crazy obsessed with race ever since Obama was elected.

I know people who don't like him because "he doesn't do anything for the black community"

I think people need to know you are not special because of the color of your skin, Obama is not just going to help struggling Blacks.... he is attempting to help struggling poor people in general..

Old 08-31-2014, 05:42 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,441,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
here is the problem. obama isn't black. obama pretended to be black to gain votes. every single time someone criticizes him, his supporters shout racism. he's set race relations in this country back 500 years.
And that is basically how he won the election...
*I must vote for the black man because it is seen as tolerant / open minded and the rest of the world will think America is such a diverse country.
that and gay marriage (even though he understandably doesn't seem to give a cap about gay marriage).

You will see this country flourish when the general public gets over their obsession with gay marriage and race... that i can guarantee you.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:42 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,477,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
This country has gotten crazy obsessed with race ever since Obama was elected.

I know people who don't like him because "he doesn't do anything for the black community"

I think people need to know you are not special because of the color of your skin, Obama is not just going to help struggling Blacks.... he is attempting to help struggling poor people in general..
WRONG!! Obama is helping OBAMA!!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:12 PM

9,895 posts, read 9,538,790 times
looks like the great black hope sorely disappointed those who voted for him. Has anything changed for the better? not for many many people.

Lesson learned - never trust a liar who makes empty promises to help you,, Help yourself instead.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:34 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
looks like the great black hope sorely disappointed those who voted for him. Has anything changed for the better? not for many many people.

Lesson learned - never trust a liar who makes empty promises to help you,, Help yourself instead.
Let's see...do we know any politicians of any party to him this could not apply?

Old 08-31-2014, 07:53 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,064,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The way I see it, race relations were never that good to begin with. President Obama doesn't have to do anything to divide people. We are already there, and were already there to begin with. All I have to do is start with so many threads here constantly complaining about Black Americans. Threads like "Blacks always vote Democrat" or "Blacks commit so much crime" and so on. We were already there.
I want to comment on this, because I think there are a few things happening that started during the Bush administration and are continuing during Obama's presidency. I don't think it's really anybody's fault.

Back when 85 percent of the voting population was white, both parties were obviously mostly white. Therefore, in terms of racial and ethnic identity, white people would feel comfortable either as Republicans and Democrats. Obviously, most minorities were Democrats, but still, if we assumed Republicans and Democrats were in equal numbers, 70 percent of Democrats were white.

This was generally the way things were in 2000 and 2004, and I think to his credit, Bush was not interested in Southern strategy type games. Unfortunately, the same could not be said for many of his fellow Republicans, who often used wedge issues to (maybe not so) subtly push Hispanics and other minorities towards the Democrats. I think this started the ball rolling towards a shared white culture. This shared white culture is conservative by nature - it's based on the ideals of hard work and self-reliance (a fairly common theme throughout American history.) It's also surprisingly open. As racial animosity has generally declined, and the influence of the religious right is waning, anybody who subscribes to these ideals is welcome. I think that for the most part, if a black person decided to adopt shared white culture, most white people would accept him/her. (The same is true for, although a little less so, for gay people. It's probably not there for Muslims yet.) So anybody who doesn't accept this shared white culture is an other, and a lot of white people don't understand why black people just don't go there.

Except white people have little understanding of the black experience. It's not really that complicated. Also, on the ground when everyone actually interacts, a lot of these problems disappear if everybody tries to be understanding. But we've allowed ourselves to form silos. Also, we're getting to the point that to be white means you vote Republican, which has dramatically accelerated during Obama's presidency. To be fair, Obama has basically embraced the "other" moniker throughout his presidency and as a result, is not viewed very favorably. But I think the majority of white people, because Republicans are becoming increasingly accepting of differences that aren't choices, are seeing Obama and the Democrats as "other."

Old 08-31-2014, 10:31 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,838,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The way I see it, race relations were never that good to begin with. President Obama doesn't have to do anything to divide people. We are already there, and were already there to begin with... We were already there.
This seems extremely difficult for some people to understand for some reason...

Old 08-31-2014, 10:36 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
yes they are worse. culture clash. no sharing of core values.
ask anybody in bagdad, its true.
people that do not share core values cant get along. people that are ok with treating others in a manner they would never tolerate can never find peace.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-31-2014 at 11:06 PM..

Old 08-31-2014, 10:38 PM

31,949 posts, read 14,955,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
That comes at no surprise to me. First, I think that Obama's run for president put a focus on US race relations. Then during his administration, incidents such as Trayvon Martin, Professor Gates became even more blown up because Obama would make press statements about the situation, and make them even more about race. Then there was a backlash of non-blacks being fed up with all of the African Americans' tantrums and riots using the race card as their excuse. It's sad that the Ferguson riots were no surprise to anyone because that is what ghetto blacks do when they are unhappy with a situation. And they smash and loot without apologies or feelings of guilt from innocent shopkeepers in their neighborhood. Therefore, clearly they would have no problems stealing from anyone else, given the chance. So why would any non-black want people like these living in their neighborhoods with Section 8 housing vouchers?

I also think that white liberals thought that by voting in Obama as president, it was reparations for slavery in America, that it would make the lot of the black community better in a big way. But clearly that hasn't happened. I also have yet to see any young African Americans trying to emulate Obama and Michelle in mannerisms and lifestyle. They still seem to be more impressed with the likes of black rappers and athletes.

What are you talking about Obama was not elected because of his skin color He was elected because he is a democrat. He could have been chinese, japanese, indian, irish....whatever....as long as he was a democrat. After 8 years of a republican president, it was pretty much a given a democrat would win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.