Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 03:25 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124
political correctness = cultural Marxism.
Political Correctness -- GARBAGE,CONTROL STATE!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 03:28 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I see so many threads here about being intimidated by people who demand submission to being politically correct in speech. I'm not talking about lewd, crude, or offensive speech. I'm talking about just speaking one's mind about any manner of subject.

I, for one, have taught myself how to maintain my perspective and my speech and yet respect the other persons viewpoint. At times, when people recognize that I won't "knuckle under" to their will, they get upset and appeal to others. Depending upon the circumstance, I stand my ground politely and firmly while at the same time teaching people that what they are really seeking is to control another human being for a dysfunctional reason. I am sure that many people want answers to how to do this and I think most likely we all have ways to confront political correctness and maintain our speech.

One of my favorites is to quote "Throughout history the 1st thing a dictator has demanded is silence" and apply it to the current situation. I want to hear your ways!!!
Jeff Dunham's puppet named Achmed the Dead Terrorist would say - "Silence - I Kill You!"

People who demand political correctness are just like Achmed.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:46 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Exactly, the "truth" should never be squelched just to avoid hurting someone's feelings. Maybe they should change their behavior and the painful truth won't have to be spoken then.
The truth according to who. Much of what is passed around as the truth these days isn't. Just lies repeated.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:59 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
The truth according to who. Much of what is passed around as the truth these days isn't. Just lies repeated.
The actual, verifiable truth. Nothing more and nothing less. Lies are not what I am talking about.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:47 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
The reference to FoxNews was very revealing of the poster's suppressed desire to control that person's speech...

Very noble of that poster, indeed, at the time, but here, in an anonymous post, she revealed how she was personally against what the person in question was watching but refrained from openly saying it.
See how you twisted yourself in a pretzel there ~ and ended up saying absolutely nothing?

Old 09-01-2014, 07:17 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Years ago, I used to moderate what I wrote and what I said, but I do that less and less these days. I think honest discussion is better than pretty lies. Obviously, this depends on the situation. I don't get into it with people I don't know, but if I encounter someone throwing their ill informed ideas my way, I'll respond openly and honestly in disagreement. Sometimes, certain persons get so used to pushing their nonsense without any opposition that they forget that there are others who disagree.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I'm not very PC in my speech but I'm also not an idiot, it seems to be a winning combo. Too bad most people can't seem to make that claim.

Totally agree with whoever said "don't be a jerk". I find people who are UN-PC and go out of their way to use insulting terms when talking about people are just as bad as people who jump up and down when you use a word in a way that obviously isn't being used to insult people at all.

Words can't be banned and you shouldn't try, but you can identify the jerks without labeling everyone a jerk. IF you aren't an idiot I mean.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:23 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,017 times
I believe that if you are going around calling me a k***, etc I would rather you say it to my face. I think racial political correctness is the closest to okay, but I'm not going to say gosh instead of god, heck instead of hell, or stop telling fat jokes (I have heard good ones directed at me).

Old 09-01-2014, 09:24 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm not very PC in my speech but I'm also not an idiot, it seems to be a winning combo. Too bad most people can't seem to make that claim.

Totally agree with whoever said "don't be a jerk". I find people who are UN-PC and go out of their way to use insulting terms when talking about people are just as bad as people who jump up and down when you use a word in a way that obviously isn't being used to insult people at all.

Words can't be banned and you shouldn't try, but you can identify the jerks without labeling everyone a jerk. IF you aren't an idiot I mean.
I think you would be hard pressed to find anybody to say "well Ceece, like you I'm also not PC and I AM an idiot".

Bottom line, EVERYBODY knows a jerk when the see/hear one and it's always somebody else.

I'm sure plenty of CD's posters think I'm a jerk but I, and those that repeatedly give me CD's love points, would heartliy disagree.

Maybe they're jerks for agreeing with me. Or idiots. Or both?

Last edited by doc1; 09-01-2014 at 10:00 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 09:26 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I think we are a nation of laws and as long as a person does not violate those they should have the right to say what they wish unless it is intended to hurt or offend.
You are saying too much and too little at the same time. People have a right to say what they wish even if they do intend to hurt or offend. But other people--those who you would presumably call "politically correct"--have an equal and complementary right to say "That guy is a (racist, sexist, homophobic, whatever) douchebag." In that case it isn't "political correctness" or political anything, it's simply stating an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies