Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 04:03 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Not understanding your post. First off all, people do not go around actively seeking out friends.

wanna bet, certain people actively seek out 'minority friends' so they can not be part of the 75%

if someone consciously does this it's not authentic and there is no point other than to appear *non-racist* and feel better about yourself

"i'm not racist, i have a black friend, i had one in my house..."

i'm being facetious, however you know these people exists

Old 08-28-2014, 05:23 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I did. Is that a problem for you?
I just thought that you were too secular to make biblical references. You know, being Canadian and all.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:20 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Three-quarters of white Americans lack any minority friends, a survey finds: Their social networks, according to the Public Religion Research Institute, are "entirely white." The average white person with 100 friends, meanwhile, would have a single black friend, a single Latino friend, one Asian friend, and one mixed-race friend, the Washington Post reports.

A black person with 100 friends would typically have eight white friends, per the survey. The data seem to prove the Chris Rock joke that "all my black friends have a bunch of white friends—and all my white friends have one black friend," Christopher Ingraham notes at the Post.

Three quarters of whites don’t have any non-white friends - The Washington Post
I wonder how many blacks have NO white friends?

Old 08-28-2014, 06:24 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Not human nature, it's about exposure and socialization.

If you don't think you'll have anything in common with someone of a different background, because you're GENERALIZING, you limit yourself.

I don't consider it to be racism in every case. The same could likely be said for people who choose to limit their circle of friends to one ethnic group if it's a conscious decision.
"Not human nature, it's about exposure and socialization"

I disagree.

I have been at MANY functions, usually through work where blacks and whites work together daily and we call each other friends, yet blacks congregate among themselves.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:30 AM

2,417 posts, read 1,447,520 times
Well back in the 60s, the only group who wanted to integrate were black people. Every other group wanted to keep to themselves. They remain competitive whereas black people just wanted to get along. There's nothing wrong with wanting to get along, but at the end of the day with no one wanting to get along with us, our group was neglected.

So we need to rectify that and come together like never before. Not saying we need to literally segregate ourselves, but we need to put out a conscious effort to lift other black people up in this country. Focus on our community and build it up. I neat idea I had was creating a new American language among black people. It would be an innovative way to build up our culture.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:29 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Well back in the 60s, the only group who wanted to integrate were black people. Every other group wanted to keep to themselves. They remain competitive whereas black people just wanted to get along. There's nothing wrong with wanting to get along, but at the end of the day with no one wanting to get along with us, our group was neglected.

So we need to rectify that and come together like never before. Not saying we need to literally segregate ourselves, but we need to put out a conscious effort to lift other black people up in this country. Focus on our community and build it up. I neat idea I had was creating a new American language among black people. It would be an innovative way to build up our culture.
Wow.....we agree!!!!

I like living around just white people......that is one reason I love where we live.

There is a lot to be said for segregation.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:40 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
This depends on the level of segregation in your community. I doubt there is anyone who has live long in Phoenix who does not have one or even many Hispanic friends. But then, Hispanics live in the same places and work in the same places as everyone else. This is probably true all the way from Dallas to LA.
I live in Houston (actually a suburb outside of Houston called Katy), which is very diverse. Of course I have a lot of friends who are Hispanic and black and white, even a couple of Asians (just because there aren't that many in my neighborhood). My kids go to school where they as white children are the minority. The racial mix there is about 64% Hispanic, with an equal percentage of white and black students, and the balance are Asian (less than 4%).

My sister lives in a suburb outside of Fort Worth, and in my view that whole Dallas/Fort Worth area is very segregated. It may just be that way in the suburbs, but I think even the cities are still pretty segregated compared to Houston.

I absolutely think my sister would have more minority friends if only more minorities lived near her. It's not that she's racist, but somehow they all bunch up together that way up there. I would imagine people in Minnesota or Massachusetts could live in areas where there are no minorities either.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:58 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,580 times
Many white people live in areas that have very few minorities. Upper New England is about 96% White. How are they supposed to have minorities for friends when there's none around?

I've only had a handful of minority friends, but I never specifically seeked out or shunned anyone as a potential friend due to their race; its just a matter of the people I've met. I live in an area that's about 90% White, so there's just not many chances to make friends that aren't White.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I neat idea I had was creating a new American language among black people. It would be an innovative way to build up our culture.
You already have that, its called Ebonics

Old 08-28-2014, 09:22 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Bussing? Those that could, put their kids in private schools in Wilmington, DE an area still famous for bussing that I grew up and went to school in, nightmare btw. I pulled my kids out and went two hours south.

The 75% just doesn't make sense unless 60% of the U.S population lives in Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire.
Yep, New York liberal land sends their kids to private schools. When the kids are born they get on a waiting list and wouldn't dream of sending their kids to public schools. Ya gotta love liberal land elite hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies