Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:02 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,855,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Most districts don't have money to hire vets for the sole purpose of security.

People are not being forced to carry if they don't want to. The teachers that will carry are the same ones that carry outside of the classroom. The same ones that are less likely to commit crimes then average citizens.
So children are not worth the expense to keep them safe? Really?

I never said they were forced to, I said some would not want to and in some districts none may want to and even those that are willing are not exactly security experts or capable of dealing with a crazy killer with a high powered weapon(s).

I would suggest townships pass a Bond to have the security put in place I would think it would be a High Priority with those that actually care about the safety of the children, or you can raise every ones property tax be only a few dollars and there you go, the money needed for professional security. Don't simply poo-poo ideas when you are still stuck thinking inside the box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,346,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post

I never said they were forced to, I said some would not want to and in some districts none may want to and even those that are willing are not exactly security experts or capable of dealing with a crazy killer with a high powered weapon(s).

I would suggest townships pass a Bond to have the security put in place I would think it would be a High Priority with those that actually care about the safety of the children, or you can raise every ones property tax be only a few dollars and there you go, the money needed for professional security. Don't simply poo-poo ideas when you are still stuck thinking inside the box.

If it were up to me the parent, my daughter would be packing a weapon and know how to use it. No matter what that weapon may be, no matter where she traveled.

The problem is, not every parent teaches their kids how to protect themselves. They over protect them all the way through life and end up living with their parents well into adulthood, because they were never taught to be self sufficient.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:07 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,771,686 times
Quote:

Most districts have enough money to either hire teachers or hire security guards. And why even spend the money or raise taxes when letting teachers with ccw permits carry at work like they do everywhere else will have the same affect and it is free. Raising taxes is not needed.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Most districts have enough money to either hire teachers or hire security guards. And why even spend the money or raise taxes when letting teachers with ccw permits carry at work like they do everywhere else will have the same affect and it is free. Raising taxes is not needed.

Many older teachers pack a firearm in their purse. Have for years and no one knows any difference.
Today as your children sit in class, their teacher may have a firearm in their purse and you would never know it.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If it were up to me the parent, my daughter would be packing a weapon and know how to use it. No matter what that weapon may be, no matter where she traveled.

The problem is, not every parent teaches their kids how to protect themselves. They over protect them all the way through life and end up living with their parents well into adulthood, because they were never taught to be self sufficient.
Your daughter is how old?

True, but allowing children to carry firearms at schools is not the best idea in my opinion.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Then hire the guards if you have the money and if you do not my guess is the community would be more than willing to pay to hire them.

Having a ccw permit does not mean you are trained to deal with a crisis. While I do not have a problem with teachers that have them bringing them to school I would still rather have someone that is trained and experienced and that is focused on one job, Security, keeping the schools a safe place for children to learn.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Many older teachers pack a firearm in their purse. Have for years and no one knows any difference.
Today as your children sit in class, their teacher may have a firearm in their purse and you would never know it.
And in many cases they are breaking the law. It is just the reality.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Your daughter is how old?

True, but allowing children to carry firearms at schools is not the best idea in my opinion.

I carried a Buck Knife to school from 2nd grade on.
Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts, we were to have a knife on us at all times.
High school, we had our shotguns and rifles, either in our trucks or in our lockers.

My daughter is now 16, fixing to be 17. My daughter has the right to protect herself.
Just because of the way you raised your kids, makes you not trust them with a weapon, doesn't mean my daughter doesn't know right from wrong. That is why owning and possessing a weapon, is a natural INDIVIDUAL right and not statutory law. It is up to you the parent to educate your kid about life, liberty, respect and freedom.

My daughter shoots her .38 more than the renta-cop at school, packing a glock.... Yes, her .38

Old 08-28-2014, 10:53 AM

77,739 posts, read 59,889,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
In Argyle Independent School District they have this warning sign outside schools.
What do you think?
The teachers that want to be armed do have to have some psychological testing and other requirements.
http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/u...8.25.20-PM.png
Many urban schools around the country have ARMED officers (for decades). Not sure what's so different about this as long as they are trained properly.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:57 AM

77,739 posts, read 59,889,067 times
Quote:
Then hire the guards if you have the money and if you do not my guess is the community would be more than willing to pay to hire them.

Having a ccw permit does not mean you are trained to deal with a crisis. While I do not have a problem with teachers that have them bringing them to school I would still rather have someone that is trained and experienced and that is focused on one job, Security, keeping the schools a safe place for children to learn.
Schools often have teachers that "multi-task" because there just isn't enough money to have a teacher doing something full time.

My buddy is the history teacher and fight stopper at his school.
My old coach taught health but also coached a few sports.

If you have someone with a background that can be the on-site first responder as well as teach Spanish or Math or whatever then I don't see the problem there. There are a bunch of ex-military police or people that have otherwise transitioned from police work to a different career path that might make good choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies