Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:28 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,475,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
A vulnerable group? Wtf, are you crazy? Sandusky was vulnerable?, all those priests were vulnerable? What they did is disgusting, and gross, they took a child's innocence and they're vulnerable.
Convicted sex offenders are absolutely a vulnerable group--vulnerable to vigilantism, a degree of police harassment that would cause riots if applied to any other group, and often an inability to find a place to live or work.

"It's gross" is not a very sophisticated argument. And the notion that every sex offense results in a traumatized victim is preposterously unsupported by any evidence.

Quote:
Dr Bradley in Delaware raped infants and toddlers, what about them?
What about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 09:59 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Convicted sex offenders are absolutely a vulnerable group--vulnerable to vigilantism, a degree of police harassment that would cause riots if applied to any other group, and often an inability to find a place to live or work.

"It's gross" is not a very sophisticated argument. And the notion that every sex offense results in a traumatized victim is preposterously unsupported by any evidence.

What about them?
Let's send any of these guys that believe in this theory to prison in general population for say 60 days. Send them to prison as child sex offenders, and then let them write a story on their experiences when they get out. If they are not traumatized then I think the story has some validity.

What about the infants, I guess its the infants fault and they should be stoned for enticing the Dr.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Let's send any of these guys that believe in this theory to prison in general population for say 60 days. Send them to prison as child sex offenders, and then let them write a story on their experiences when they get out. If they are not traumatized then I think the story has some validity.
Can you elaborate on what great insight the general population of a prison has that is eluding social scientists and psychotherapists?

Quote:
I guess its the infants fault and they should be stoned for enticing the Dr.
You're barking.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:19 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Talk show host Rick Roberts, co-creator of the Amber Alert system, and Melissa Hamilton, a visiting criminal law scholar at the University of Houston Law Center, joined Ed Berliner on "MidPoint" on Newsmax TV Wednesday to discuss her claim that the assumption that sex offenders are at a high risk of committing repeat offenses is a myth.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://wwww.Newsmax.com/Newsmax-Tv/R...#ixzz3BdvTrkJ3

Great!

Let's have them babysit his grandchildren then. I am sure everything will be okay.

Ask a liberal to practice what they preach and you will understand that libs make rules for others, not themselves. This is why fascism and systems of monarchies are so appealing to liberals.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:23 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
This isn't really news to anyone who makes it their business to follow such things. Eric Lotke and others demolished the myth of high sex offender recidivism as far back as the late 1990s. The question is, when will legislators begin to catch up to reality?

In America, taking away peoples' rationale for hating some vulnerable group is like taking away a dog's favorite chew toy.

Sex offenders prey on the vulnerable. And no I'm not talking about the guy who moons someone, or pees in public, or as a prank goes streaking. I'm talking about the low life scumbags like rapists, and pedophiles! I'm pretty laid back when it comes to the idea of giving second chances, but like with murderers I have no sympathy for people who commit those acts, and they deserve whatever they get.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:26 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,560 times
I think it's a good idea to segregate sex offenders from the rest of civil society-

Inside the tiny Florida town built for sex offenders | Mail Online
  • Miracle Village, just outside Everglades in south Florida, was established in 2009 by the late evangelical pastor Dick Witherow
  • Borne out of religion, it is place where registered sex offenders can live without judgement and repent their sins
  • Many offenders find it near impossible to find housing in Florida, where they are not permitted to come within 1,000 feet of children

Old 09-11-2014, 10:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:

What about them?

Perhaps the convicted sex offender should have thought about the repercussions prior to committing such a heinous act, no? There is absolutely NO justification for trying to have sex with children!!! NONE!!!

Old 09-11-2014, 05:18 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,827,673 times
All sex offenders should not be lumped in the same categorie IMHO

Old 09-11-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Perhaps the convicted sex offender should have thought about the repercussions prior to committing such a heinous act, no? There is absolutely NO justification for trying to have sex with children!!! NONE!!!
Justification is not being debated, what is sound public policy is being debated.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Great!

Let's have them babysit his grandchildren then. I am sure everything will be okay.

Ask a liberal to practice what they preach and you will understand that libs make rules for others, not themselves. This is why fascism and systems of monarchies are so appealing to liberals.
What evidence do you have that these people are "liberals", other than they said something you don't like?

Are you capable of having any conversation without throwing in your favorite word? I had pasta for dinner last night. Was it liberal pasta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies