Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:15 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Jesse Jackson isn't revered in Black culture. When he arrived at the Ferguson protests most people wanted him to leave and let it be known publicly.
I'm Black and I don't give Jesse Jackson much thought. In fact, I rarely hear Blacks talk about Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton for that matter.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:52 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
It's true that violent crime is mostly committed by Black criminals, yet most Black people aren't criminals. The unfortunate thing is that most people find it difficult to untangle those two facts.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Great post!
I'm just saying how I see it. So far, it isn't being paid much attention. I made the statement to try and set some things straight the best I can.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:15 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm Black and I don't give Jesse Jackson much thought. In fact, I rarely hear Blacks talk about Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton for that matter.
Maybe that's why he released this statement!! LOL.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:08 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.” - Jesse Jackson

So, what does it say about certain elements of black culture when even Jesse Jackson is relieved to see a white person behind him on the street at night?

Since Jesse is so highly revered in black America, shouldn't that be a wake up call? Lord knows that black people would go ape shat crazy if a white person said this. Maybe black America needs a hefty heaping of introspection foisted on it by Jesse Jackson and his words of wisdom?

If Jesse Jackson can't get a point across to black America, then who can???
That is pretty funny. If a white public figure said that there would be a hue and cry...

Old 08-31-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Maybe that's why he released this statement!! LOL.
In short, all he wants is attention.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
That is pretty funny. If a white public figure said that there would be a hue and cry...
If this is funny, I would be laughing.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:29 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Actual quote:

Remarks at a meeting of Operation PUSH in Chicago (27 November 1993). Quoted in "Crime: New Frontier - Jesse Jackson Calls It Top Civil-Rights Issue" by Mary A. Johnson, 29 November 1993, Chicago Sun-Times (ellipsis in original). Partially quoted in "In America; A Sea Change On Crime" by Bob Herbert, 12 December 1993, New York Times.

He said it in relation to the area being full of crime and poverty to the point where when he was walking there he felt ashamed.

Congrats on changing the quote to fit your agenda.
Thanks for clarifying--one can at least try to keep people honest though many on this board will use anything they can find, even dated quotes taken out of context, to further their agendas. If their agendas were based in reality, they would not need to find irrelevant articles and quotes to back them up.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:35 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I'm a woman. If I'm walking alone at night and know that someone is behind me I do what every other woman in that position does - we make a quick assessment of the individual based on gender (female = less threatening than male). Aside from that I look for body language (how the person moves, stands, walks, generally carries himself), and how the person is dressed (there's a difference between poor and those dressed to "make a statement").

Race by itself doesn't factor in. A menacing thug is a menacing thug. In Tennessee (where we moved from) there were plenty of low lifes of both races. Black trash. White trash. Now when I walk I worry more about coyotes than those looking to hurt a woman or steal money for a meth hit.

You couldn't pay me to live in a city or live east of the Mississippi ever again.
Nice, neutral PC statement, but you would be foolish not to assume an increase in odds that a black male is more likely to attack than a white one. That of course is not to say that all blacks are criminals and all whites are the good guys. Certainly dress, body language, etc. that you mentioned are important factors to assess a potential threat, but to ignore race because one does not want to think of themselves as racist is absurd.

I have Muslim friends, but I will be more leery of a young Muslim male in a crowd of people than I would of someone of another religion. Israel touts how they profile and makes no excuses for it. How many EL AL airliners have been hijacked by terrorists? Ever wonder why?

However un-PC it might be to say, statistics do not lie, and per capita more black males commit crime than do white males.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGHEHjaSYro

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies