Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 04:57 AM

204 posts, read 184,728 times

Advertisements

You are aware that the New Deal involved more than just programs to relieve unemployment? The government ultimately did save the economy when we spent even more money going into debt when the war happened. The basic premise was sound. The war showed that we just did not spend enough money. The midterm election that gave the republicans into power in Congress also put a monkey wrench into the New Deal. The Great Society program cut poverty in HALF in America. It has been and continues to be a success despite the roll backs that CONservatives have pushed through over the years. "Flushed down the toilet"? Tell that to all the people that did not have to go hungry or the senior citizens that get to see a doctor in their old age. I do not know why CONservatives are opposed to living in a civilized society. But, lifting people out of poverty is one of the nobler things our government does. It makes a more civilized society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
New Deal?

"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong … somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises. … I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. … And an enormous debt to boot."

~ Henry Morgenthau

18.3% official unemployment isn't anything to brag about, and the eleven trillion spent to end poverty may have just as well been flushed down a toilet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 06:55 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
It was oil, of course. Which will be the reason we go back over there, whether its Obama or the next guy who gives the order. They'll get their orders, give their order and we'll go.
Maddow is just a ditz kept on the payroll to play up to the burnouts.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:03 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
If it was for oil, then how come China got most of the oil?
Because they have a Billion people moving into the 21st Century?

Do you really think oil companies care who they sell oil to?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Privatize Iraqi Oil
Kill Saddam Hussein
Profit from the Forever War

I have read that most of the Iraqi oil fields have been leased to privately owned western Oil companies so that part of the reason for war has been fulfilled. Saddam was hanged so another part is accomplished. The world wide WAR industry has made nearly a trillion dollars off the deal so the third reason is taken care of.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinoza 1454 View Post
You are aware that the New Deal involved more than just programs to relieve unemployment? The government ultimately did save the economy when we spent even more money going into debt when the war happened. The basic premise was sound. The war showed that we just did not spend enough money. The midterm election that gave the republicans into power in Congress also put a monkey wrench into the New Deal. The Great Society program cut poverty in HALF in America. It has been and continues to be a success despite the roll backs that CONservatives have pushed through over the years. "Flushed down the toilet"? Tell that to all the people that did not have to go hungry or the senior citizens that get to see a doctor in their old age. I do not know why CONservatives are opposed to living in a civilized society. But, lifting people out of poverty is one of the nobler things our government does. It makes a more civilized society.

Ha!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:42 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Liberals rehashing old stuff to reassert that they are right.....................sometimes. Ever since their messiah turned out to be only a well-spoken and clean dud.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:09 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Privatize Iraqi Oil
Kill Saddam Hussein
Profit from the Forever War

I have read that most of the Iraqi oil fields have been leased to privately owned western Oil companies so that part of the reason for war has been fulfilled. Saddam was hanged so another part is accomplished. The world wide WAR industry has made nearly a trillion dollars off the deal so the third reason is taken care of.
Bingo.

The war was mainly about one thing: ACCESS

Of course over 4k Americans had to be sacrificed, ten times that many had to be wounded, a trillion dollars spent, and the deaths of three thousand innocents had to used as part of the web of lies to gain access to Iraqi crude, but oil companies have profited enormously, and no other corporation profited more from the occupation than Halliburton, which made 40 billion dollars from our decision to invade and occupy an innocent nation.

I believe the village idiot who ordered the invasion now realizes what a monstrous crime he is responsible for, and is one of the reasons he remains silent and completely removed from the public eye. The brains behind the scheme is both heartless (literally and figuratively), as well as soulless, and is trying to rewrite history before he dies and the world rejoices at his death.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:23 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinoza 1454 View Post
The Israelis murdered Bull before the gun ever became a threat. There never was a capability using that gun. Iraq was never going to use it anyway. Why would Saddam have done that? He would be wiped out by Israel's purported nuclear capability.
Maybe educate yourself before you speak with such confidence:
1) there were 2 cannons, one with the largest caliber ever. The "smaller" version was fired twice towards Tel Aviv but it was unsuccessfull.
2) using nuclear weapons? Do you understand the consequences? Sadam fired later many Scuds on major Israeli cities but Israel didn't respond. Should they nuke Iraq after the first shell hit Israel?
3) what reason would they have to eliminate Bull after the canon was completed? Isn't that stupid? The only effective way was before the project was operational and even then it may have been too late.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:15 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Bingo.

The war was mainly about one thing: ACCESS

Of course over 4k Americans had to be sacrificed, ten times that many had to be wounded, a trillion dollars spent, and the deaths of three thousand innocents had to used as part of the web of lies to gain access to Iraqi crude, but oil companies have profited enormously, and no other corporation profited more from the occupation than Halliburton, which made 40 billion dollars from our decision to invade and occupy an innocent nation.
I agree.

As I said before, if there were no oil the US would not be there. Ensuring access was certainly the reason, and the route to ensuring access is not necessarily straightforward, i.e., the "access" may not have been all or directly about American access to Iraqi oil, but American access to other sources and even about Chinese access to Iraqi oil (which reduces Chinese oil demand on other oil sources).

Quote:
The brains behind the scheme is both heartless (literally and figuratively), as well as soulless, and is trying to rewrite history before he dies and the world rejoices at his death.
Who is that, IYO?

Old 08-30-2014, 10:37 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Considering the very low viewership of MSNBC, she has to do SOMETHING to attempt to attract viewers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies