Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2014, 12:15 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,075,031 times

Advertisements

Once we redefine the definition of marriage, once we say that it is not a union of a man and a woman, then there's no end to what it can be!

Old 08-30-2014, 12:17 PM

778 posts, read 818,317 times
Threads like these are really great for figuring out who to add to my ignore list.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:18 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,791,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I replied to a post. it's not rocket science. also, gay marriage is in the title of the thread. again, not rocket science.
But that doesn't lead to marrying a dog.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:20 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,397,049 times
You tightie righties fall for all the gags and faux news.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:21 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,724,701 times
Marriage between a man and a woman, or two people of the same sex, or between a human and a beast has no effect upon me in any way. To each their own. I don't see a problem.

Now I would take an adversarial stance toward a marriage between a man and a woman, or two people of the same sex, or between a human and a beast if that "marriage" in some way harmed me personally. Such as the case whereby I would be forced to contribute to that arrangement in some way say through ridiculous preferential or special interest "law". Otherwise I wish good luck to the woman and her dog...LOL

Old 08-30-2014, 12:23 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,621,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
this is what happens when you follow liberal policies it eventually leads to total chaos.

British woman marries her dog, confesses:
As has been pointed out many times, the marriage ceremony need not include a marriage license.

It is nothing new for a person to be so enamored of an animal or even an object to express that emotion with a marriage ceremony. I believe it was the emperor Nero who underwent such a ceremony with his horse. So what? All you need is someone willing to perform the ceremony. Since no license is involved, literally anyone can perform the ceremony.

No license? No legal standing.

The only controversy here is in the minds of people who refuse to draw a simple distinction that most second-graders are capable of understanding.

Edited to add - or maybe it was Caligula. He was crazier and nastier than Nero.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:30 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,926,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Only paranoid idiots would compare 2 adults who love each other getting married with bestiality.
I personally don't have a problem with Gay marriage but I do feel that you have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to marriage or else you will open pandora's box. Who's to say that people who practice polygamy, incest(bother-sister, father-daughter, etc) and bestiality won't argue that they have the right to marry who they love. You have to draw the line somewhere right?

Old 08-30-2014, 12:33 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,724,701 times
The line should only be drawn when a "marriage" in some way harms others who aren't in that "marriage". Otherwise it is of no consequence or import to anyone not involved.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:35 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,361,859 times
Yet another reason why ISIS/Al Qaeda want to kill us.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:37 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,621,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I personally don't have a problem with Gay marriage but I do feel that you have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to marriage or else you will open pandora's box. Whose to say that people who practice polygamy, incest(bother-sister, father-daughter, etc) and bestiality won't argue that they have the right to marry who they love. You have to draw the line somewhere right?

Yes, and the law does draw it.

Consenting adult humans is the legal standard for marriage. The current argument is about whether those adults can have the same set of genitals or must they be different.

I can see that standard being enlarged to more than two consenting adults if the admittedly large issues of taxation, child custody, and property division can be solved, and certainly I think that the consanguinity issue regarding cousins should be reexamined.

You can marry your toaster oven today, should it please you. Your marriage just won't have any legal standing whatever.

Edited to add - but you too could get in the newspaper, with a story that Gretsky could link to as evidence that TWAWKI is ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.