Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,621,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Over my dead body. Sounds to much like an Obama plan. jk
Oh for heaven's sake, aren't you tired of carrying Obama around all the time? These chips have been an issue since around 2003, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
This is Fox News. They're probably trying to make people fear powerful government more. There's no way in heck microchips will be commonplace in society in the next forty years...and probably about 99% of Americans will despise the idea.

We fear big government more than any other civilized nation here, remember? and nobody in Europe is doing it yet...or at least not enough to be noticeable. Maybe one in like, thirty (at most) journalists and military persons will agree to it.

Don't be so sure. Some people are already having it done.

RFID Gazette: RFID Implants: 5 Amazing Stories

I suspect that this is one of those things that is generational. I'd sooner eat glass, but I am well into geezerdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 09:09 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,008,861 times
No matter how much the government intrudes on our privacy, the 'get away with it' excuse of 'it's for your safety' is used and the sheeple will buy it.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:11 PM

26,648 posts, read 13,594,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBoo View Post
Respectfully, you greatly underestimate the gullibility of most people. Personally, I see these devices will be made popular thru medical reasons. Who wouldn't want to be monitored if cancerous activity is discovered early enough? Or a heart attack is found to be imminent, a stroke? Oh, be certain that once the door is opened there will be a rush to be vigilant against one's own will and body!

And how many would say no if they could have something happy introduced into their system when they feel a little down? GPS reporting is nothing compared to other uses. This will be the first step to augmentation, too. More brain capacity, stronger muscles- all the usual desires. We aren't that far off from that being reality.
I agree. I think many people will embrace these devices at first for medical reasons and that will open the door for the acceptance for other uses. Right now these types of implants are being proposed (or in some cases already being used or tested) for things like depression, PTSD, ALS, Alzheimer's. The research is being funded by DARPA and is a part of the White House's Brain Initiative. There is a lot about chipping and implants in the news lately.
Could depression be cured by a microchip in your BRAIN? | Mail Online
DARPA working on brain implants to help restore memory ? RT News

For the record I am 100% against these types of implants. There is too much room for abuse and error. I think it's a dangerous door to open and a dangerous road to walk down.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:23 AM

88,056 posts, read 83,895,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I am far from a conspiracy theorist and I've made many posts calling out the conspiracy theorists on our forum. With that being said, I see far too much potential for nefarious uses by government and others. I don't think any benefits outweigh this potential.
^What this poster says.

I don't need to be tracked, thanks. It sounds like one of those bad futuristic movies. I don't see any benefits. If I forget who I am and wander away and fall into a ditch, so be it.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:56 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,643,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
LOL, this is America, all the goDvernment has to do is give everyone that gets one an ipad or some such nonsense and the sheep will be lined up from one end of the country to the other to be inserted into the matrix....
they dont have to bother with that at all. all they have to do is convince people that they can USE the implant like an ipad, and the people will line up.

"would you like to make a phone call without a phone? would you like to surf the internet where ever you are? would you like to be able to memorize everything you see like you had a photographic memory? would you like to be able to go anywhere and not get lost? if so then stop by our store, and we will sell, and implant, one of these handy dandy devices that will do everything you want for the low low price of $295.99, installation included. it has 8gigs of ram, and uses your own brain for storage. it has a super fast 3gig pentium super microprocessor, and it comes with norton antivirus installed and activated, and it includes a firewall as well. come get yours today!!"

it would be that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBoo View Post
Respectfully, you greatly underestimate the gullibility of most people. Personally, I see these devices will be made popular thru medical reasons. Who wouldn't want to be monitored if cancerous activity is discovered early enough? Or a heart attack is found to be imminent, a stroke? Oh, be certain that once the door is opened there will be a rush to be vigilant against one's own will and body!

And how many would say no if they could have something happy introduced into their system when they feel a little down? GPS reporting is nothing compared to other uses. This will be the first step to augmentation, too. More brain capacity, stronger muscles- all the usual desires. We aren't that far off from that being reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Oh for heaven's sake, aren't you tired of carrying Obama around all the time? These chips have been an issue since around 2003, IIRC.
actually the idea has been around since the microprocessor was initially created, back in the late 60s. and yes i too am on my way to geezerdom.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,148,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^What this poster says.

I don't need to be tracked, thanks. It sounds like one of those bad futuristic movies. I don't see any benefits. If I forget who I am and wander away and fall into a ditch, so be it.
But "the village" cares too much about you to allow that to happen.

"Pants up..get chipped"

Old 08-31-2014, 01:34 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,901,043 times
Tracking will be ongoing, whether it be your phone, car, computer or DNA. Tech can be very useful, the devil is in the details. Obviously there can be health consequences from any kind of implant. DNA seems to be where much of the tech is focusing. DNA is useful tech in itself.

DNA Tracking Technology Identifies Products and People ...

Different type of project, but one can use the imagination.

GPS DNA tracking - University of Sheffield - YouTube

A GPS in your DNA -- ScienceDaily

Old 09-01-2014, 03:08 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,442,961 times
Chip violent felons who have been released. And politicians.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,168,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i have to agree. we already have smart phones, and tablets that can act as smart phones, what do we need a chip installed for? while it might be nice to access the internet while walking down the street, or call a friend, or what ever, there is far too much downside of the government intruding in your thoughts, and being able to track you where ever you go even if you disable your cell phone completely.

just because we have a technology, and can do a thing, does not mean we should use that technology or do that thing.
We do in fact usually carry a perfectly good tracker, your cell phone. You can however, leave it home.

I wish we'd had a chip on the dearly loved dog who disspaeared, but I'd never put on in children or adults. Parents should not need to 'chip' their kids to know what they are up to.

As for an anti depression chip? Anti depressents are already popped like candy as happy pills because its cheaper to do than figure out what's bringing it on. This would be an even cheaper fix.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:30 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,400,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
For soldiers and journalists in war zones, an implant could be the difference between life and death. A tracker could also help law enforcement quickly locate a kidnapped child.
Yeah, automated enemy weapons can locate our soldiers. Great idea!

psik
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies