Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:21 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,866,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
That's a copout. I respect a person more if he/she uses proper English than some garbage speak with its origins in the gutter.
My Sicilian grandmothers both spoke English, but when they were together, they would slip into Sicilian now and again, sometimes just a phrase or a word, sometimes whole conversations, because it was a language they grew up with and were comfortable with and enjoyed speaking with other people who shared the same upbringing. I never thought the less of them for it.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:28 PM

414 posts, read 1,019,679 times
Quote:
That's a copout. I respect a person more if he/she uses proper English than some garbage speak with its origins in the gutter.

Actually its origins are from generations of intense segregation. Funny thing- you isolate a group of people and force them into a situation with little/no cross-cultural movement, and they'll develop their own dialect. One of the biggest mistakes you can make regarding other people is judging their intelligence based off of how they speak.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:38 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post
Actually its origins are from generations of intense segregation. Funny thing- you isolate a group of people and force them into a situation with little/no cross-cultural movement, and they'll develop their own dialect. One of the biggest mistakes you can make regarding other people is judging their intelligence based off of how they speak.
Uh "Ebonics" is still mostly "white English" because word is it started with the old PWT Scots Irish way back in the day so the hood rats AIN'T "keeping it real".

Old 08-31-2014, 12:40 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
How do you get your melanocytes to be so productive?

Old 08-31-2014, 12:45 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
My Sicilian grandmothers both spoke English, but when they were together, they would slip into Sicilian now and again, sometimes just a phrase or a word, sometimes whole conversations, because it was a language they grew up with and were comfortable with and enjoyed speaking with other people who shared the same upbringing. I never thought the less of them for it.
Italian is a language with its roots in Latin.

Ebonics grew from the gutter and it should stay there.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh "Ebonics" is still mostly "white English" because word is it started with the old PWT Scots Irish way back in the day so the hood rats AIN'T "keeping it real".
BS. I never "axe" anyone or "diss" anyone or go to my "crib" with my "homeys".

Show me where the Scots Irish ever said that garbage.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post
And that form of "language" will get them how far in this world?

Thus their intelligence is lacking if they don't realize that simple fact.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
And that form of "language" will get them how far in this world?

Thus their intelligence is lacking if they don't realize that simple fact.
The OP said she uses a mix of language depending on who she's with. How is that different than my Sicilian grandmothers? There's one word that would describe the difference in your mind, and I'm sure you already know what that word is.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The OP said she uses a mix of language depending on who she's with. How is that different than my Sicilian grandmothers? There's one word that would describe the difference in your mind, and I'm sure you already know what that word is.
Ebonics is not a language.

Italian is.

Those that speak gutter English were born in the US. No excuse for not learning proper English.

Old immigrants that use their LANGUAGE along with English is fine since it is a LANGUAGE and not some gutter dialect.

Notice the difference?

I don't think you will.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Ebonics is not a language.

Italian is.

Those that speak gutter English were born in the US. No excuse for not learning proper English.

Old immigrants that use their LANGUAGE along with English is fine since it is a LANGUAGE and not some gutter dialect.

Notice the difference?

I don't think you will.
So you are also against people who speak in regional dialects within the U.S. as well, right? Go spend a few days in parts of Appalachia and get back to me about "proper English." You're not fooling anyone about what you are really saying. We get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.