Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2014, 05:49 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
California is already the armpit of the Nation. Don't they have more important things to do ?????
Go figure that............
The California liberals were stupid enough to elect Jerry Brown again, after his previous disastrous 'reigns' as governor. They deserve everything they are getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 05:52 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
i reuse them.. besides i thought these plastic bags were gonna save the environment.. from the evil "paper" bag
Yeah, that's what we were told.

We use them for garbage bags, to dispose of cat litter, to bring fresh vegies in from the garden, and numerous other things.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:19 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
These plastic bags end up in geographic locations all around the world, these are sensible changes. Sea life, in particular turtles end up being killed because they ingest bags mistaking them for jelly fish. After a hurricane I recall seeing a 300 ft. mesh fence with a plastic bag in every opening.

Hard to drive down a street without seeing bags floating around, seems like a very easy solution to just bring a bag.

Some pictures that give you a good idea of the extent of the pollution.

https://www.google.com/search?q=plas...ml%3B320%3B213

Old 08-31-2014, 06:45 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c

Old 08-31-2014, 06:51 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Oops....

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-31-2014, 07:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The liberals conveniently forget how many people lost their jobs when paper bags were no longer used. In the small town where I grew up, we had a bag factory. It closed up, and was out of business.
Just like the buggy-whip makers, eh?

Old 08-31-2014, 08:15 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
I know y'all just HATE blogs, but here is one you should read:
Reusable grocery canvass bags are bacteria farms. Stop using them.

Here's another:
Freakonomics » The Downside of Reusable Grocery Bags

and a newspaper article:

The point being, if you use reusable bags, WASH AND SANITIZE them so they won't make you and your family sick!
Would you REALLY put fresh meat and seafood in a cloth bag, then use it the next week for fresh vegetables without washing it?
Would you REALLY put fresh vegetables in a bag that has been kicked around on the floor of your car for several days, or laying in the trunk for days?
THINK, people!

Old 08-31-2014, 08:24 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post

Here's another:

and a newspaper article:

The point being, if you use reusable bags, WASH AND SANITIZE them so they won't make you and your family sick!
Would you REALLY put fresh meat and seafood in a cloth bag, then use it the next week for fresh vegetables without washing it?
Would you REALLY put fresh vegetables in a bag that has been kicked around on the floor of your car for several days, or laying in the trunk for days?
THINK, people!
Not to mention but the checkout people handle those contaminated bags and then handle your food and your bags. Yuck!

Old 08-31-2014, 08:30 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post

Here's another:

and a newspaper article:

THINK, people!
Most meats, fruits, vegetables and seafood are already wrapped in plastic unless you found a store that still wraps in newspaper.

Never washed my canvass bags and I survived!

Old 08-31-2014, 08:38 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The liberals conveniently forget how many people lost their jobs when paper bags were no longer used. In the small town where I grew up, we had a bag factory. It closed up, and was out of business.
Government's job is not to make sure people have jobs. That's up to the people. Isn't that the whole 'entitlement' argument anyway? What, one someone wants a check from the government to feed their family, it's being too dependent, but when a social change happens, suddenly it's not dependency for the government to step in and shoot down any change or progress to keep a factory from shutting down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies