Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you thing David Cameron is right to consider this?
Yes 50 90.91%
No 2 3.64%
Unsure 3 5.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 06:22 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
That's a good point, and if Britain and the rest of the western world took on this policy then it may reduce the risk of any future terrorist attack!
However, I'm still drawn to the idea that, particularly impressionable young people, who may have originally thought they where right, but then overtime they realize what they used to believe is evil, and decide to change their ideas and believe the western world is correct, then those people could deter other Muslim children, or (for Northern Ireland purposes) Irish Catholic children away from joining terrorist groups as they have first hand experience of that evil. So what I'm saying is, those people could change their minds and repay the country back... Or perhaps this is just wishful thinking?..

Just so you know, I am swaying tawords the idea that Cameron is right to consider this. But it's just the idea that some might change their minds when it's to late, and everyone knows what young people are like, very impressionable, and sometimes radical...
Being an impressionable teenager is not justification for committing murder, let alone crimes against humanity. You leave to join ISIS under your own free will and you don't deserve to live freely in the US.

1st Amendment rights are limited. You can't scream fire as a practical joke in crowded theater, not should you be allowed to wage jihad with ISIS and claim 1st Amendment rights.

This is not targeting by race and it is not targeting "Muslims"...it is targeting actions...if Christians were forming terrorist militias to wage a Holy War, ISIS-style, the same principle should apply to them. However, the only groups I know of where Christians come together from all over the world are charitable groups helping the 3rd world...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 06:34 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Being an impressionable teenager is not justification for committing murder, let alone crimes against humanity. You leave to join ISIS under your own free will and you don't deserve to live freely in the US.
Good point, and I'm seeing that now...

Quote:
This is not targeting by race and it is not targeting "Muslims"...it is targeting actions...if Christians were forming terrorist militias to wage a Holy War, ISIS-style, the same principle should apply to them. However, the only groups I know of where Christians come together from all over the world are charitable groups helping the 3rd world...
Yea but you've only got to look at history to realize that Catholics are just as bad as Muslims. Between 1000AD and 1750AD the Catholics killed many, from christian (Protestants), to Muslim, to any other religion/no religious people, to even Innocent Catholics being accused of witchery or other faiths. Yes that was years ago, but it's still as bad as extreme Islam. Also, Protestant Britain and northern Ireland is still under threat from Catholic Irish terrorism, and we have been, really, since King Henry the 8th had enough of radical and Hypocritical Catholicism... Mind you the Protestants where just as bad to the Catholics... Look this is why I'm not into religious Bullsh*t!!

Old 09-01-2014, 06:51 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Good point, and I'm seeing that now...

Yea but you've only got to look at history to realize that Catholics are just as bad as Muslims. Between 1000AD and 1750AD the Catholics killed many, from christian (Protestants), to Muslim, to any other religion/no religious people, to even Innocent Catholics being accused of witchery or other faiths. Yes that was years ago, but it's still as bad as extreme Islam. Also, Protestant Britain and northern Ireland is still under threat from Catholic Irish terrorism, and we have been, really, since King Henry the 8th had enough of radical and Hypocritical Catholicism... Mind you the Protestants where just as bad to the Catholics... Look this is why I'm not into religious Bullsh*t!!
To me this is a ridiculous argument.

The fact that Salem Massachusetts killed some "witches" in 1692 does not excuse Saudi Arabia for beheading a teen girl in 2010 for witchcraft. Nor does it equate Massachusetts culture today with the middle east today.

If you want to argue that ISIS and other radical Muslims are stuck centuries in the past and are not up to speed with modern civilizations then go ahead and make that argument. They are a relic of the past that goes against civilization and progress - bottom line they and other radical Islamists need to be destroyed not protected.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:57 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Anyone born in the US or naturalized in the US that takes up arms with terrorists automatically loses their US citizenship and is considered a traitor.
^^this

Old 09-01-2014, 07:05 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,950 times
Quote:
The fact that Salem Massachusetts killed some "witches" in 1692 does not excuse Saudi Arabia for beheading a teen girl in 2010 for witchcraft. Nor does it equate Massachusetts culture today with the middle east today..
The Catholic Inquisition killed millions, and the Protestants killed thousands of Catholics. At the end of the day anyone that causes death is just as bad as each other! Though Christianity has modernised. It's worth mentioning that not all Muslim middle eastern countries are stuck in the past. The United Arab Emerites (UAE) is a very modern country. Though Alcohol is illegal, the country is a very western, modern and mostly Muslim country in the middle east. (just shame about the no alcohol law!)

Quote:
If you want to argue that ISIS and other radical Muslims are stuck centuries in the past and are not up to speed with modern civilizations then go ahead and make that argument. They are a relic of the past that goes against civilization and progress - bottom line they and other radical Islamists need to be destroyed not protected.
Yes they are stuck in the past, I agree. But that doesn't mean that most Muslims support ISIS or Hamas.

Quote:
To me this is a ridiculous argument.
Yea, I did loss my point here. What I was trying to really say that most religion is as bad and as hypercritical as one another. The only 2 good main religions I can think of is Hinduism and Buddhism (witch technically isn't a religion).
Also what I was trying to put across, but didn't succeed, is Muslims are still human and 95% of them are good people!

Old 09-01-2014, 10:31 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
It's this type of thinking and almost acceptance that has lead to the Muslim problem the UK is facing and the US is several years behind.

I'm absolutely shocked this is 'under consideration.' If our country is 100% sure one of our citizens went to take up arms with a cult like ISIS and is attempting to come back into the US, I'd be fine with this person somehow making his way to Egypt to be tortured for information, and then somehow never being heard from again.

Quote:
That's a good point, and if Britain and the rest of the western world took on this policy then it may reduce the risk of any future terrorist attack!
However, I'm still drawn to the idea that, particularly impressionable young people, who may have originally thought they where right, but then overtime they realize what they used to believe is evil, and decide to change their ideas and believe the western world is correct, then those people could deter other Muslim children, or (for Northern Ireland purposes) Irish Catholic children away from joining terrorist groups as they have first hand experience of that evil. So what I'm saying is, those people could change their minds and repay the country back... Or perhaps this is just wishful thinking?..

Just so you know, I am swaying tawords the idea that Cameron is right to consider this. But it's just the idea that some might change their minds when it's to late, and everyone knows what young people are like, very impressionable, and sometimes radical...

Old 09-01-2014, 11:37 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Right.

We in the US need to do it, too. However our Dreamer-in-Chief would never consider it.
The Obama administration is apparently more concerned with political correctness and their own reputation than the safety and security of its citizens.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:51 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
LOL. I bet the Brits and all the others are talking out of the other side of their faces now about the NSA activities!

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Okay. I double dog dare you to go live with these peaceful people who you feel so good about.

Your head will come home in a box.
I believe the o/poster is in the UK and may very well be living among them already.

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Dude, have you ever met someone from the middle east? Most of them are good, friendly people who life in a hostile part of the world. The Muslim faith is mostly a good thing, in the Muslim bible (don't know how to spell Charan!) actually suggests that life is a good thing. Not a thing to kill people with. Yes there are radicals, most aren't!
By the way, I think Britain has more to wry about Irish Catholics terrorists than Muslim terrorists from the middle east, but that's because the government has totally forgotten about the Irish Catholics... Just for the record, I'm an Atheist, as no god has been proven yet, and most religion causes war (including Christianity and the Muslim faith!)!
You make some good points, but I can't agree when you say Islam is mostly a good thing. It isn't, it's just a "thing"- good doesn't come into it. As long as people literally believe in absurd claims, they always have the potential to act on those absurd claims.

People aren't good because they were raised a muslim, christian etc. They just good people. As a culture, I don't see Islam having anything worthwhile to offer the west, and it stands in stark contrast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies