Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you thing David Cameron is right to consider this?
Yes 50 90.91%
No 2 3.64%
Unsure 3 5.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 12:12 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
You make some good points, but I can't agree when you say Islam is mostly a good thing. It isn't, it's just a "thing"- good doesn't come into it. As long as people literally believe in absurd claims, they always have the potential to act on those absurd claims.
I'm not saying Islam is a good thing, in fact it would be better if we lived in a world without religion, like John Lennon suggested. But I'm saying that most people with an Islamic faith are not radical and are good people who want to get on with their lives... Whats wrong with that?

As for people that go out to the middle east in support of terrorists then I now think that it is the right thing to keep them out of the country. After all we can't have an increased risk of extremism on our hands...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 12:29 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
I'm not saying Islam is a good thing, in fact it would be better if we lived in a world without religion, like John Lennon suggested. But I'm saying that most people with an Islamic faith are not radical and are good people who want to get on with their lives... Whats wrong with that?
Because Islam is a culture, as well as a religion, and one that I don't think is compatible with the West.

Maybe western values will continue to dilute islam in the West, into a house trained religion like christianity, but even so, I prefer Islam as a tiny percent of the population

Old 09-01-2014, 12:33 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Anyone born in the US or naturalized in the US that takes up arms with terrorists automatically loses their US citizenship and is considered a traitor.
Without the due process of the law?

I am shocked to see 90% of people voted yes. This tells me how ignorant people are and how willingly they want to give up their liberty for some perception of safety or security.

Nobody should lose their citizenship without the due process of the law. We should not allow some government official to decide arbitrarily that certain citizens should lose their citizenship.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:48 PM

31,046 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Without the due process of the law?

I am shocked to see 90% of people voted yes. This tells me how ignorant people are and how willingly they want to give up their liberty for some perception of safety or security.

Nobody should lose their citizenship without the due process of the law. We should not allow some government official to decide arbitrarily that certain citizens should lose their citizenship.
Absolutely, and if found guilty, then stripped of their citizenship. Doesn't apply to the majority of peaceful Muslims everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
You make some good points, but I can't agree when you say Islam is mostly a good thing. It isn't, it's just a "thing"- good doesn't come into it. As long as people literally believe in absurd claims, they always have the potential to act on those absurd claims.

People aren't good because they were raised a muslim, christian etc. They just good people. As a culture, I don't see Islam having anything worthwhile to offer the west, and it stands in stark contrast.
The vast majority of Muslims are great citizens, but I would agree with you, as Religion, Islam offers the West very little. Apparently when their numbers get high enough you start seeing major issues as seen in England and France.

Whats interesting is as the West becomes a more non religious, those who practice Islam appear to be more feverant in their beliefs. We have a separation between church and state, while they strive to put religion in control of the state!

Last edited by LS Jaun; 09-01-2014 at 02:23 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
The vast majority of Muslims are great citizens, but I would agree with you, as Religion, Islam offers the West very little. Apparently when their numbers get high enough you start seeing major issues as seen in England and France.
Just looked at some stats. The 2001 census showed the around 72% of residence where Christian and around 3% were Muslim. Whereas the 2011 census shows that only around 60% of the British population are Christian and Islam is around 4.5%. This goes to show that we do have an increasing population of Muslims coming into this country. However, who can blame them, there trying to find a better life to live. The only people who are responsible for mass immigration into this country is the government, so it's the govs thought for why Britain is so overcrowded! But as I say again, most Muslims are good people!

On a side track. It's also interesting how the non-religious percentage has grown to: in 2001 only 15% of UK residence were Non-Religious and in 2011 26% of the country is non-religious! This is a step in the right direction, though would rather 100% of non-religious UK citizens by 2021, then we would become better and learn to tolerate each other more! Just like what John Lennon said... (what a dream...)

Religion in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-01-2014, 02:53 PM

31,046 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Just looked at some stats. The 2001 census showed the around 72% of residence where Christian and around 3% were Muslim. Whereas the 2011 census shows that only around 60% of the British population are Christian and Islam is around 4.5%. This goes to show that we do have an increasing population of Muslims coming into this country. However, who can blame them, there trying to find a better life to live. The only people who are responsible for mass immigration into this country is the government, so it's the govs thought for why Britain is so overcrowded! But as I say again, most Muslims are good people!

On a side track. It's also interesting how the non-religious percentage has grown to: in 2001 only 15% of UK residence were Non-Religious and in 2011 26% of the country is non-religious! This is a step in the right direction, though would rather 100% of non-religious UK citizens by 2021, then we would become better and learn to tolerate each other more! Just like what John Lennon said... (what a dream...)

Religion in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Unfortunately, having a less religious majority with a more religious minority is not a recipe for tolerance.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:18 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
He's "considering" it ???
It should have been implemented a decade ago.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:31 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Right.

We in the US need to do it, too. However our Dreamer-in-Chief would never consider it.
Because in the US there is something called the constitution...

Old 09-01-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Unfortunately, having a less religious majority with a more religious minority is not a recipe for tolerance.
Yea I know, 100% non-religion will never happen within the short-term...
Unless science proves it... and even then, there are still people that dismiss Darwin's theories - what uneducated people! LOL

Old 09-01-2014, 04:09 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Is he right to consider it? Absolutely.

Go Dave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies