Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:23 AM

204 posts, read 184,874 times

Advertisements

This alternet article shows us that we need to make some serious changes in this country. I for one believe that it is high time to tax the wealthy with a wealth tax. We should also raise payroll tax cap on Social Security. There is no reason in the world that Americans should be living like gypsy's in their retirement years. This is truly an outrage.

http://www.alternet.org/economy/shoc...-afford-retire

Shocking Picture of What Life Will Look Like When You Can't Afford to Retire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 09:28 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Looks like fun if you ask me

Old 08-26-2014, 09:31 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
Brilliant idea to have a "wealth tax" imposed on those that have saved their money to provide for their retirement.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:34 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,537,124 times
Fantastic bit of "journalism" there. My God.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:34 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinoza 1454 View Post
This alternet article shows us that we need to make some serious changes in this country. I for one believe that it is high time to tax the wealthy with a wealth tax. We should also raise payroll tax cap on Social Security. There is no reason in the world that Americans should be living like gypsy's in their retirement years. This is truly an outrage.

Shocking Picture of What Life Will Look Like When You Can't Afford to Retire | Alternet

Shocking Picture of What Life Will Look Like When You Can't Afford to Retire
Get your own money.....I will burn mine before the government gets it.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:35 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Brilliant idea to have a "wealth tax" imposed on those that have saved their money to provide for their retirement.
It's as if people of the OP's ilk don't want us to retire as well as possible and erect barriers to financial independence, while he's complaining about barriers to people retiring well or being financially independent .

Old 08-26-2014, 09:37 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinoza 1454 View Post
We know nothing about the individuals "suffering" this "outrage" so why should we automatically assume that punishing wealthy people will "ease the suffering?"

Mathematically and financially, raising the cap on the payroll tax makes sense for long term sustainability of the program as currently implemented, but that doesn't solve the problem of an elderly woman whose primary workforce skill is "tarot reader", which is not exactly a lucrative, "retire in style" profession, according to supply and demand.

You can only steal so much from the ants to feed the grasshoppers before the ants are tapped out.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:42 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

How much do you expect minimum wage workers to save for their retirement?

Old 08-26-2014, 09:43 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
"They get by the best they can, relying on each other or their families. I met a lot of parents and grandparents who hated the idea of leaning on the next generation, but would do it in an emergency."

Isn't this the reason people have children???

Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How much do you expect minimum wage workers to save for their retirement?

Enough to buy the rope to hang themselves when they can no longer support themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies