Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:40 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times

Advertisements

How many times have we heard from liberals and conservatives alike?

"I don't see color. I see the individual."

By not seeing color you are not seeing the reality of people of color. You are part of the problem.

Racism Class (watch and learn)

Part 1

Part 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 10:42 AM

19,840 posts, read 12,099,283 times
I could only force myself to watch that angry woman with an agenda for about 10 minutes. She is a lousy
"teacher". She only knows indoctrination, not free exchange of ideas and growth. Very sad.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:45 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Although I'm actually currently in shock at all the race-related threads on city-data today. I do want to agree with you, I think it is impossible not to see color. Not just impossible, but also I think it is unhealthy for all parties involved. To do so, you would have to rewire the brain to be devoid of all prejudice.

I don't just mean "Racial prejudice", I mean all prejudice. The human brain makes assumptions about people based on all kinds of outward characteristics. For instance, what clothes someone is wearing, whether or not they are dirty, how they style their hair, what kind of car they drive, whether they are male or female, what kind of accent they speak with, etc.

Prejudice is "natural". I agree that "experiences" and "cultural norms" do have an effect on the assumptions people make about the outward characteristics of a person. For instance, if you heard a thick country accent, you aren't going to instantly think "Rocket scientist". You are going to think "a dumb hick, who probably has sex with his sister, votes Republican, and constantly complains about immigrants".

There is extreme accent prejudice/discrimination in this country. The real question is, what can or should be done about it?

I have come to the conclusion that I simply don't give a crap. If the Yankees(whites) think the southerners(blacks) are a bunch of ignorant hicks(criminals), why were they so eager to keep the south in the union circa 1861? I say, if you don't like me, let us be separated, forever(I need some old-school Malcolm X).

Old 09-01-2014, 10:50 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
I see black and white security.

Black is more trusted than white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ9GDiYU0-I

Old 09-01-2014, 10:52 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Ok, I see color, then I look at dress, mannerism, if talking, listen to speech, is the person happy, angry, attitude, sad, does the person care for oneself? I try to determine character. Is the person interested in me or could care less, is the person being kind and courteous or have attitude. I do this with white, black, yellow. Get used to it.. everyone does it.

How you present matters, you choose how you present yourself.

Next

Old 09-01-2014, 11:06 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ok, I see color, then I look at dress, mannerism, if talking, listen to speech, is the person happy, angry, attitude, sad, does the person care for oneself? I try to determine character. Is the person interested in me or could care less, is the person being kind and courteous or have attitude. I do this with white, black, yellow. Get used to it.. everyone does it.

Next
So true, petch. We make assessments about others all the time. To ignore social cues can be dangerous in today's society. Regardless of intent, how one presents themselves to the world matters.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:13 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:

Next

I'm going to agree. I want to say, I live right next to a military base. If I see a black man in a military uniform I don't think anything markedly different about him as I do the white man in a military uniform. In my mind, how someone dresses and how they speak says more than anything else about a person.

I think most of the problem comes in with the "thug" style and speak. If a black guy looks like a thug and talks like a thug, I tend to assume he really is a thug. If a white guy looks like a thug and talks like a thug, I usually assume he is an idiot wannabe(probably a juggalo).

The "politically correct police", wants me to do one of two things. Either believe that the thug-looking white guy is also a thug(or more importantly, just as likely to be a thug as the black guy), or believe that neither of them are a thug(since I don't have evidence that they are thugs).

The second one is just plain stupid, the first isn't necessarily a bad idea, but it isn't always so simple.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:13 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:

Next
^^ This.

Just like everyone else, the first thing I notice when I see someone is the color of their skin. However, that doesn't influence my judgement of them nearly as much as things like dress, attitude, and demeanor. If you walk in wearing your pants hanging down around your knees with a bunch of bling in your mouth, I classify you as an idiot - no matter what your skin color is. On the other hand, if you present yourself as someone who knows what a belt is and speak a language that can at least reasonably pass as English I'm likely to at least carry on a conversation with you.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:21 AM

778 posts, read 823,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
How many times have we heard from liberals and conservatives alike?

"I don't see color. I see the individual."
The only person I've heard use this phrase in the last five years, maybe longer, is Stephen Colbert.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:25 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:

Next
Yes, appearances are way more important than substance.

A federal judge ruled once that the appearance of judge wrongdoing is a much more serious problem than actual judge wrongdoing. He ruled that a judge is not the court.

Appearances are EVERYTHING!

One federal judge told me that he liked my appearance very much, but expressed shock and disbelief that it didn't match what he had been told about me. (Gossip and slander in the restroom)

He said, "You could be a college professor!"

Let's see . . . I was wearing black velvet bellbottoms from the early 70s, light blue shirt with fine yellow crosshatching, dark blue long tie, a pullover v-neck gray sweater, navy blue blazer with gold buttons, and shiny black shoes.

Whenever the judge or Government attorney yelled at me, I remained politely silent until they ran out of wind, and then I spoke as politely as though they had spoken politely to me.

I don't do that sort of thing much when I'm keyboarding on City Data, because I've always regarded City Data as casual Friday every day (except that I take correct grammar as seriously as I can under the particular circumstance).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies