Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:15 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,096 times

Advertisements

Two questions I've wondered about when discussing the influx of illegals crossing the border:

1. If these people are dirt poor, where did they get the many thousands of dollars it cost to pay coyotes to get them to the border?

2. If I had made a trek of thousands of miles I would look like hell at the end of it. From the videos I've seen on TV these guys look clean and neat and pretty put together considering the distance, heat, danger they have been through. How can that be?

I'm not asking with any agenda. Just asking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 09:19 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Where are you SEEING these folks who you think should look crappy but look great? I hear about people being found in shipping containers half dead, bodies in the desert, on ships, etc.

I'm no expert on illegals but I don't assume they are ALL "dirt poor", some just don't want to live under whatever crazy political regime is in place in their country.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:26 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
They borrow it from relatives in Mexico or they have legal/illegal relatives in the US working their asses off so they can send money back to Mexico. Its estimated that $20 billion/year (remittances) makes it's way back to Mexico via bank transfers or Western Union.

http://www.ibtimes.com/remittances-w...conomy-1421714

Old 09-01-2014, 10:48 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,738,449 times
There's a whole forum here dedicated to illegal immigration. There are also several search engines online where you can look up information about immigrants.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
1. They sometimes borrow money from loan sharks that are affiliated with the drug cartels. If they get caught and sent back, the loan sharks know it. Or family scrapes together the money with the expectation that the illegal finds work in the US and then pays the coyotes to bring in the rest of the family. Sometimes, illegals get put in so-called stash houses in cities near the border (Phoenix has a big problem with this) and are kept there until the relatives come up with the money for the coyotes.

2. The reason that they look good after sneaking in here is that they throw out their dirty clothes, leaving them along with their other trash on fragile desert eco-systems. Then they change into a clean outfit. They do this so as to not draw attention to themselves when they find civilization.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:08 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
1. They sometimes borrow money from loan sharks that are affiliated with the drug cartels. If they get caught and sent back, the loan sharks know it. Or family scrapes together the money with the expectation that the illegal finds work in the US and then pays the coyotes to bring in the rest of the family. Sometimes, illegals get put in so-called stash houses in cities near the border (Phoenix has a big problem with this) and are kept there until the relatives come up with the money for the coyotes.

2. The reason that they look good after sneaking in here is that they throw out their dirty clothes, leaving them along with their other trash on fragile desert eco-systems. Then they change into a clean outfit. They do this so as to not draw attention to themselves when they find civilization.
So true about the clothes. The desert in Arizona is full of clothes. They get rid of all the clothes that might tip off the BP. They put on a U of A or ASU cap etc and some worn clothes from America. If they are dumb they keep wearing soccer clothes or something that says Fila.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:21 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post

1. If these people are dirt poor, where did they get the many thousands of dollars it cost to pay coyotes to get them to the border?
Obama and Soros paid for them to cross the border.

Quote:
2. If I had made a trek of thousands of miles I would look like hell at the end of it. From the videos I've seen on TV these guys look clean and neat and pretty put together considering the distance, heat, danger they have been through. How can that be?
It's all a conspiracy.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:48 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
They borrow it from relatives in Mexico or they have legal/illegal relatives in the US working their asses off so they can send money back to Mexico. Its estimated that $20 billion/year (remittances) makes it's way back to Mexico via bank transfers or Western Union.

Remittances Worldwide Increase In 2013, Except For Mexico; Is The US Crisis Hurting Mexican Economy?
And the federal government helps them send money back to Mexico and out of the US economy and for once it's not Obama's fault. Bush did it with some cooperation from the banks in the US and Mexico and the Mexican government that is only to glad to have our dollars help their economy. And to make matters worse, he used our tax dollars to have the Federal Reserve market the program. The program is called Directo a Mexico.

This is from 2006:

"Marketed as “the best way to send money home,” offering “more pesos for every dollar,” the Federal Reserve’s remittance program charges U.S. financial institutions $0.67 per item to transfer money from the United States to Mexican banks, ensuring a “highly competitive rate.” The Federal Reserve also provides participating U.S. financial institutions with Spanish language promotional materials to “help get your message out.” The program was reportedly launched in response to a directive from President Bush following the 2001 U.S. – Mexico Partnership for Prosperity created by President Bush and then Mexican President Fox. It makes no distinction between “legal” and “illegal” aliens."

You'll be interested to know that Judicial Watch, who has been on Obama's case about his scandals espeicially with regard to the IRS, was on Bush's case about this program.

Federal Reserve Markets "Directo a México" to U.S. Banks for "Migrant" Transfers of $20 Billion in Remittances to Mexico - Judicial Watch

Directo a México

Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Where are you SEEING these folks who you think should look crappy but look great? I hear about people being found in shipping containers half dead, bodies in the desert, on ships, etc.

I'm no expert on illegals but I don't assume they are ALL "dirt poor", some just don't want to live under whatever crazy political regime is in place in their country.
The majority are coming here for economic gain. The problem with that is that we don't have the jobs and resources to sustain them (not that they care). That's the reason we have annual quotas for legal immigration.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:26 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The majority are coming here for economic gain. The problem with that is that we don't have the jobs and resources to sustain them (not that they care). That's the reason we have annual quotas for legal immigration.
And as I keep telling you, but it fails to register in the occipital lobe of your brain, the illegals are here as a result of employers not filling jobs and not wanting to raise wages to market demand, not the other way around. You seem to assume that things are happening the other way around. There is no conspiracy theory, only business owners who want top dollar. This is a window into what libertarian style capitalism is all about. Don't like it? Great, stop voting for people who perpetuate this kind of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies