Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 08:41 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Otherwise, imo if Europeans hadn't discovered the North America, Africa and Australia, the natives would still be living a stone age lifestyle. Certainly the Native Americans would all be living a nomadic existence. Some tribes wouldn't be around anyway because their were warring tribal conflicts.
I love how you people say that as if it's just an absolute gaurantee.

And make sure you put "discovered" in quotes next time. I don't see how you can discover something someone else already discovered before you came along...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 08:43 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'm guessing it has something to do with HOW most Puerto Ricans came about because of the rapes against the Indians there by the 1st Hispanics way back in the day. So PR uses nicer sounding words instead of "conquistador", which means "conquerer",
But I had traveled to PR frequently and only returned after the lapse of a decade and note the difference now in terminology.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:07 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
First of all, my preferred term is "Siberian-Americans." After all I am a native American, born in America. Indian is problematic since it is based on the errant belief of Columbus that he had landed in Cathay. I guess he was really confused since Cathay was a reference to China, not India. 'Siberian-American' remains the best fit.

That said, all true enough. The Siberian-Americans had amazing farming techniques, especially w/ corn. But OTOH, they did not have the wheel until the arrival of Euros in the 16th century.
It's true I've never known exactly what to call the peoples in question! I really don't like the term Indian myself, even though many descendants of these peoples call themselves exactly that, although I think that I often catch a hint of being facetious when they do.

Siberian-American is factual, but it doesn't capture the flavor of ancient occupation on the american continents.

As I'm sure you know, the Incas at least did have the wheel, but they used it for toys and figurines. For some reason they saw no need to use it for serious work.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:17 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Otherwise, imo if Europeans hadn't discovered the North America, Africa and Australia, the natives would still be living a stone age lifestyle. Certainly the Native Americans would all be living a nomadic existence. Some tribes wouldn't be around anyway because their were warring tribal conflicts.
There is no evidence whatever that the original peoples of the Americas, Africa, and Australia are somehow different in cultural aptitude than the other peoples of the world.

Just like everyone else, they invented things when they needed them, and didn't bother inventing things that they didn't think they needed.

And, for your information, since it seems to me you are sadly lacking in the information department, plenty of African people were well out of the Stone Age by the time Europeans arrived. Actually, they were well out of the Stone Age when the Arabs arrived.

Edited to add - when I say the Europeans arrived, I meant as conquerors from the 1500s on. The Greeks, Romans, and Phoenicians, to name the three most obvious groups, frequently traveled to Africa over 2000 years ago.

Last edited by jacqueg; 09-04-2014 at 10:26 AM..

Old 09-04-2014, 11:26 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
You can't really mean that. Whenever I go through Cherokee (SC) or Navajo and Apache (NM) their culture takes my breath away. Their history brings tears to my eyes, both in joy and sadness.
The sad facts are clear that Native Americans were slaughtering each other for hundreds of years before the immigrants arrived from Europe. To sit here now and act like they were in anyway superior or even on par with more advanced cultures that made the USA a great nation is a joke.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:28 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I feel so sad for you. It's tragic that your sincere efforts to support such inferior beings is not met with praise and hosannas.
Fell sorry for yourself and those that try to put forth the myth that "native people's" were in anyway on a path of civilization. They had butchered each other like cattle before the immigrants brought them towards a path of law and order and some sort of decent living.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:49 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I love how you people say that as if it's just an absolute gaurantee.
Find me some non-European influenced Native Americans, Africans or aboriginals that would have developed into anything different in the last three hundred years. Look at the current ebola crisis and the locals believing that the doctors brought the virus into their communities? Cured ebola survivors are shunned by the locals and one medical student was kicked out of her medical school. Or that they kill albino Africans and use their body parts to try to cure AIDS, or thinking that sleeping with a virgin will cure AIDS. A great number of African nationals just can't wrap their brains around science and instead cling to witch doctor magic and superstitions.

Quote:
And make sure you put "discovered" in quotes next time. I don't see how you can discover something someone else already discovered before you came along...
Yeah, yeah... I know about earlier visitations to America by others, however again Columbus Day is more about Italian culture than nitpicking about America's actual discovery by outsiders. But in regards to recent recorded history, Columbus is fine for being a discoverer of America. It was a long and gnarly voyage that most of us would never want to go on hundreds of years ago without GPS, modern amenities and knowing for sure what was ahead or if one could make it back home.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:17 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Find me some non-European influenced Native Americans, Africans or aboriginals that would have developed into anything different in the last three hundred years. Look at the current ebola crisis and the locals believing that the doctors brought the virus into their communities? Cured ebola survivors are shunned by the locals and one medical student was kicked out of her medical school. Or that they kill albino Africans and use their body parts to try to cure AIDS, or thinking that sleeping with a virgin will cure AIDS. A great number of African nationals just can't wrap their brains around science and instead cling to witch doctor magic and superstitions.

Yeah, yeah... I know about earlier visitations to America by others, however again Columbus Day is more about Italian culture than nitpicking about America's actual discovery by outsiders. But in regards to recent recorded history, Columbus is fine for being a discoverer of America. It was a long and gnarly voyage that most of us would never want to go on hundreds of years ago without GPS, modern amenities and knowing for sure what was ahead or if one could make it back home.
Same crap from the same people.

You act as if it would be set in stone that Africans, Native Americans, and other cultures would NEVER figure out other ways of doing things without Europeans. I guess the Egyptians are European?

It absolutely disgusts me in the manner of which people like you talk about other cultues and how we should all just get on our knees and thank the white man for "his gifts" and bringing us out of our "savage ways" by force with murder, genocide, slavery, and totally raping and twisting every other culture in his image.

Not 100% serious on that last paragraph, but it is insulting to think that the way Europeans went about doing things was for the best. Hell, if not for that, race relations probably would have been somewhat better compared to today.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:56 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It's true I've never known exactly what to call the peoples in question! I really don't like the term Indian myself, even though many descendants of these peoples call themselves exactly that, although I think that I often catch a hint of being facetious when they do.

Siberian-American is factual, but it doesn't capture the flavor of ancient occupation on the american continents.

As I'm sure you know, the Incas at least did have the wheel, but they used it for toys and figurines. For some reason they saw no need to use it for serious work.
Uh; many words just "stick" after a while because they "work". Kinda like "anglo white" meaning any NON Hispanic white person here in Arizona, even Arabs.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:58 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Same crap from the same people.

You act as if it would be set in stone that Africans, Native Americans, and other cultures would NEVER figure out other ways of doing things without Europeans. I guess the Egyptians are European?

It absolutely disgusts me in the manner of which people like you talk about other cultues and how we should all just get on our knees and thank the white man for "his gifts" and bringing us out of our "savage ways" by force with murder, genocide, slavery, and totally raping and twisting every other culture in his image.

Not 100% serious on that last paragraph, but it is insulting to think that the way Europeans went about doing things was for the best. Hell, if not for that, race relations probably would have been somewhat better compared to today.
I'm guessing you're a Black dude? If you're that uneasy here in the majority white US, please check out moving to Liberia where ONLY Black people can get citizenship. I'm being serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies