Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 11:06 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Smokers did not stop because it was illegal to smoke and they sure as heck will not care where they get it if it costs half as much from the same guy they have been getting it from for years already. A little Common Sense goes a long way.
I think I would rather pay the markup, and it's not by 2x, than risk jail time myself. Even if it's an extra $100 I am not going to buy weed of unknown quality, unknown toxins/metals/pesticides, and unknown chemicals sprayed onto it...and if I could go to jail for it and damage my career.

Money is not greater than your health and career unless you only care about the money. I am not cheap like that. If it costs half as much with risk, and twice as much without, then it costs what it is without. Just like I can buy a 1970's car for a couple hundred, or a new car with all the safety features for $15k, and I will buy the one that makes sure I get around safely.

If you love money even above your health and your career...you love money too much.

Now there is the caveat that people who need it and cannot afford it are having to resort to this if they buy it recreationally. Red cards allow people to buy without all of the taxes, and exist to make sure people can afford it that need it medically. They may still not be able to afford it...but then we need to look at making it legal at a federal level so insurance plans can help. It's cheaper than opioids, shown to reduce overdoes deaths/complications, helps a number of conditions (MS, chronic pain, muscle spasms) that can save on their bottom line if federal restriction was eased.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:06 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Pot Culture(grow their own) ???

I have never met a single person who grew their own pot.
Seriously, you must be young. When I lived in CA in the 70's I used to visit friends and their dads grew their OWN.

Yes, there is a Pot Culture from way back that never wanted it legalized, they just want to not go to jail and be able to grow their own pot. Organic is the thing isn't it!

Old 09-02-2014, 11:07 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am saying the pro-pot arguments, which were used to sell the legalization idea turned out to be bogus. It did not make the black market disappear, and it did not result in all the tax revenue they promised.
And you can pronounce this final judgment after six months' experience in CO, and approx 2 months' experience in WA?????

That's some crystal ball you've got there, if I were you I'd spend my time doing something more interesting with my crystal ball than pontificating on c-d!

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Marijuana addicts have been criminals for years, so they do not hesitate to continue disrespecting the law by buying from black market.

WRONG! The only criminal activity I see here is those who started this immoral UNCONSTITUTIONAL war on a plant, and those who continue to continue to promote its prohibition, which has ruined more innocent lives than cannabis itself ever could!

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Whether or not I am getting screwed is my judgment as the buyer.

Besides, as more legal retailers come on line, the price will come down.

(I can't believe I am explaining this to you!)
The government is only allowing so many. I'm surprised this has to be pointed out to you.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
I am saying the pro-pot arguments, which were used to sell the legalization idea turned out to be bogus. It did not make the black market disappear, and it did not result in all the tax revenue they promised.
Because the tax was too high..that's usury..27% tax ?

Pure greed, plain and simple.

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Facts are facts. Before legalization everyone, except medical card holders, were criminals since they bought their drugs illegally. Now they have been offered a legal way to purchase their pot, but they choose to do break the law anyway.
Maybe they do not have the money to pay twice or more than what they were already paying. Yes people do ignore stupid laws and rules all the time, why would the law in Colorado be any different.

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
so its not missing then, they just collected less revenue than expected. What is your point ?
Wonder how many saw the pocket got it and not the taxman! Cash is easy to hide....government is too easy to think all people work by honest merit.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:12 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,117 times
Quote:
It seems they collected less that third of what they thought. Why am I not surprised?

Voters legalized retail marijuana (pot for everyone, not just medical patients) in 2012. And they were told the state wouldpull in $33.5 million from two new taxes in the first six months of 2014. It turns out, the projections were way off.

Colorado's missing marijuana taxes - Sep. 2, 2014
Misleading article, misguided thread.
From your own article:

Quote:
To be fair, Colorado is in uncharted territory as the first state to legalize the drug for recreational purposes, and it's only been six months.
While lawmakers are examining the the tax structure, "it's too early to be worried," said state Rep. Dan Pabon.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:12 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The government is only allowing so many. I'm surprised this has to be pointed out to you.
Yes, and in WA at least, there are plenty of legal slots that have yet to be filled. Also, again in WA, I don't believe there is any arbitrary limit on how large an individual store can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies