Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 07:41 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What is your explanation for why it's not included on the campus map published by the college itself?
Are the foot washing stations listed on the map?

All I have to say is you should take up your issue with the college, because GMUs page is the one that details the fact that they own the chapel, and EMUs Catholic student org states that the chapel is ON campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 07:55 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Are the foot washing stations listed on the map?
Yes, the Student Center building, in which the foot bath is located, is listed on the EMU campus map:
Eastern Michigan University: Campus Maps & Directions

Old 09-10-2014, 04:32 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Because there's no real long standing established tradition that requires audible prayer in the Christian faith. Islam, however, has an established method of prayer, which can I suppose technically be silent, it isn't unnoticeable.

Another thing to add to why the room may be necessary for Muslims but not Christians is the scheduled nature of prayer. Muslims believe they have to pray at certain times during the day. Christians don't have that. They do so as they please. If Christians wanted to sing and hold hands, they can do so at any point during the day. This can mean letting them come in before or after school to pray or do so during a lunch period. They don't have an actual "need" for a separate room.
This has nothing to do with 'need'. The law does not define 'need'.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:54 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
"A federal lawsuit accusing Willis school district teachers of confiscating and throwing away Bibles and ordering students to remove religious book covers has been dropped by the legal watchdog group that filed it.

District Superintendent Kay Karr said in a written statement Thursday the lawsuit was voluntarily withdrawn by Florida-based Liberty Counsel and that 'students of Willis Independent School District have not been told they cannot bring Bibles to school, and Bibles were never thrown into the trash.'"
Are they saying the mom is lying she's the one who pulled the Bible out of the trash?
We all know school officials lie about nothing.
Houston School Officials Call Bible 'Garbage'

Bedenbender said the girls called her from school and that she calmed them and asked to speak with the teacher. An angry exchange occurred and Bedenbender alleges that Flottman threatened to have the children removed by Child Protective Services if she failed to pick them up within 30 minutes.

Bedenbender said she retrieved the Bibles from the wastebasket and left with her daughters. A week later she withdrew them from the district and began home-schooling them. Three others of her nine children are still attending school in the district, she said.

Mathew Staver, a lawyer with Liberty Counsel, said the lawsuit's withdrawal was an attempt to avoid a court battle and reach a mutually satisfying agreement between the parties involved.

Staver said if progress isn't made in two weeks he will refile the lawsuit, which was originally filed in U.S. District Court in Houston.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:57 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If you were following the conversation I was responding to, we were discussing foot baths being installed in COLLEGES. The poster I was responding to asked for proof of chapels on campuses. I provided that proof. The colleges I listed were taken directly from a link the poster I was responding to posted as having installed foot baths for Muslim students.
Fair enough.....we were discussing high school and it went to University.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
This has nothing to do with 'need'. The law does not define 'need'.
Boy if we went by people's 'needs' the schools might as well shut down. I can see this becoming a hot mess for schools.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:14 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I did wonder what happens if one faces west rather than east, if the prayer gets confused in translation.

Would this be the year 1961?
My son's high school has a Christian group. Right now, this year.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:18 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
You gave the rights Christians are suppose to have at schools. You really don't need me to post where ACLJ has many lawsuits against schools. This one is old, but shows how some teachers treat Christians at school. Bet this teacher would not say this to another person of religion.....or we would have heard about it. Media ho's and all!

The lawsuit accuses the district of four violations of the U.S. Constitution, three violations of the Texas Constitution and two violations of state laws. It asks that a judge order the district to allow the carrying of Bibles in school and the use of book covers printed with the Ten Commandments or other religious content.

"My daughters called me, were hysterical, and said, 'Mama, they took our Bibles and called them garbage and threw them in the garbage and then threatened to call Child Protective Services,' " Deborah Bedenbender, 37, a Willis homemaker, said Tuesday.

Seriously Child Protective service for carrying a Bible???
So you agree that the Christian students should be accommodated, is that right?
The situation detailed in the OP is no different.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:55 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Oh good Grief is this Whine still going on? Get some cheese and give it a break already.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:11 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times
Quote:
Are they saying the mom is lying she's the one who pulled the Bible out of the trash?
We all know school officials lie about nothing.
Houston School Officials Call Bible 'Garbage'

Bedenbender said the girls called her from school and that she calmed them and asked to speak with the teacher. An angry exchange occurred and Bedenbender alleges that Flottman threatened to have the children removed by Child Protective Services if she failed to pick them up within 30 minutes.

Bedenbender said she retrieved the Bibles from the wastebasket and left with her daughters. A week later she withdrew them from the district and began home-schooling them. Three others of her nine children are still attending school in the district, she said.

Mathew Staver, a lawyer with Liberty Counsel, said the lawsuit's withdrawal was an attempt to avoid a court battle and reach a mutually satisfying agreement between the parties involved.

Staver said if progress isn't made in two weeks he will refile the lawsuit, which was originally filed in U.S. District Court in Houston.
Forgive my skepticism, but I have a hard time believing that the religious persecution of Christians is a problem in Texas.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:16 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Forgive my skepticism, but I have a hard time believing that the religious persecution of Christians is a problem in Texas.
It isn't a problem here, but some like to claim they are persecuted, facts do not come into play when it comes to their agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies