Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 06:28 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
pray in school every day in Tucson. Not only that, the school has provided a room for them to pray in. Which, I guess is better so that the other kids don't have to hear it.

N4T Investigators: Church and State | KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona
They immigrate here and ignore our laws. This is a disgrace. So now the school has to make special accommodations allowing them special rights to pray. Madalyn Murray O'Hair fought and won to have prayer removed from schools, supporting in this country public schools and prayer should be kept separate.

Last edited by 9162; 09-10-2014 at 07:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 06:28 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,443 times
I didn't care when the Royal Canadian Legion modified their no-hats rule so veterans wearing turbans could "enjoy" country music and shuffleboard like all the other veterans, either. Does such an organization exist in the US? Does it have a similar rule regarding hats? If they changed it, would you care?

Old 09-10-2014, 07:02 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
They immigrate here and ignore our laws. These people are a disgrace. So now the school has to make special accommodations allowing them special rights to pray. Madalyn Murray O'Hair fought and won to have prayer removed from schools, supporting in this country public schools and prayer should be kept separate.
I also agree that *all* religious activity should be banned in public schools, but the Supreme Court doesn't agree with us. The Supremes have said that if a public school allows one religious group to use public school property, it must allow all other religious groups to use the property and must apply the same standards and conditions to all groups.

But you are wrong in this case that these muslim kids are getting special rights.

The school has a policy for accommodating both religious and non-religious activities that are not part of the regular school curriculum. The muslim kids asked for accommodation in the correct way, and got it. Apparently, no other religious groups have asked, and there is no reason at all to assume that they would be turned down.

In fact, it is ludicrous to believe that a school administrator in one of the most conservative states in the nation would privilege muslim kids over christian kids.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:10 PM

25,845 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
I don't think they'd let any policeman wear something around their neck that someone could grab and use to choke said policeman. I'm told that's the reason policemen wear clip-on ties.

But if they did change the rules to allow cops to hang a big crucifix (it'd be a crucifix if the cop's Catholic, wouldn't it?), I wouldn't care.
I guess I like the separation of church and state thing. A lot.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:11 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
School is also where we socialize our kids - where they are introduced to those of different cultures, traditions, etc. and learn how to interact and coexist.
Your point?

Stick to education, socializing is a common human trait. People throw this 'socializing' at homeschoolers, as if the kids never go anywhere.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:13 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Your point?

Stick to education, socializing is a common human trait. People throw this 'socializing' at homeschoolers, as if the kids never go anywhere.
My point was a very simple one: school is not simply for learning Math, Reading & Writing. It serves other purposes.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
I didn't care when the Royal Canadian Legion modified their no-hats rule so veterans wearing turbans could "enjoy" country music and shuffleboard like all the other veterans, either. Does such an organization exist in the US? Does it have a similar rule regarding hats? If they changed it, would you care?
So cowboys had to remove their hats to accommodate people wearing turbans ......very strange you don't see you were asked to remove your hat and they get to still wear the turban.....gotcha, babies at least no when the sucker has been pulled from their mouth.

Some of you Canadians are like a slow boiling frog!

Old 09-10-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
My point was a very simple one: school is not simply for learning Math, Reading & Writing. It serves other purposes.
Since students are doing poor in all areas, maybe things should go back to learning and not inserting religion into an already polluted arena. Mosque and Churches are for a reason. Socializing comes natural it's a human trait.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:27 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
So cowboys had to remove their hats to accommodate people wearing turbans .
No. That's not what I said at all.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:51 AM

88,999 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
School is also where we socialize our kids - where they are introduced to those of different cultures, traditions, etc. and learn how to interact and coexist.
Then why not provide unrequested prayer rooms for all religions? Why only give Muslim students one and illegally discriminate against the rest of the students just because they're not Muslim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies