Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:40 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Much higher costs and they have much higher prices as a result.

Two things can happen if your raise the price of labor

1. The price of the product goes up to offset the costs
2. People get laid off or hours reduced to keep costs the same

If the costs are too high to sell the product in the market and hours cannot be cut then the company goes out of business. This happens more often than people realize since so much can be found on line with from companies with reduced overhead.
In this case, the stores are operating under reduced profits. Higher wages can result in higher prices, but not always and not necessarily significant price increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Cost of a quarter pounder in the UK, about £4. Cost of a quarter pounder in the US, $3.79 give or take. Oh yeah, the cost of goods in the UK is so much higher do us all a favor, when you make comments like that, make sure that the other person you are refuting didn't live in the UK for 6 months and knows how much things cost there

As it has been demonstrated every time there is a minimum wage increase, the price of products and services do not go up in a 1:1 ratio or whatever it is you guys insinuate.
But £4 =/ $4.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:43 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Cost of a quarter pounder in the UK, about £4. Cost of a quarter pounder in the US, $3.79 give or take. Oh yeah, the cost of goods in the UK is so much higher do us all a favor, when you make comments like that, make sure that the other person you are refuting didn't live in the UK for 6 months and knows how much things cost there

As it has been demonstrated every time there is a minimum wage increase, the price of products and services do not go up in a 1:1 ratio or whatever it is you guys insinuate.
4 pounds is currently $6.59 or about 40% more. Damn near the exact same price

Someone living in uk for 6 months should have learned about the exchange rate by now.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:45 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
4 pounds is currently $6.59 or about 40% more. Damn near the exact same price

Someone living in uk for 6 months should have learned about the exchange rate by now.
Wouldn't surprise me that someone who never lived abroad in his life doesn't know what purchasing power means. Exchange rate means squat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
But £4 =/ $4.
Exchange rate is not a useful measure for measuring the cost of living. You need to take purchasing power into account, as well.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:46 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
I'm just surprised that there two pretzel stores in the same mall selling an undifferentiated product that is so price sensitive people will walk to the other end of the mall.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
In this case, the stores are operating under reduced profits. Higher wages can result in higher prices, but not always and not necessarily significant price increases.
It depends on how labor intensive the product is the create. Something with a high material costs but a low labor cost will not be affected as much as something with low material costs and high labor costs.

Generally speaking, paying just above the minimum wage provides you a much higher quality of worker for very little total costs. The problem with raising the minimums wage is not only the bottom tier price increase but the follow increase of pay all along the leadership chain.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me that someone who never lived abroad in his life doesn't know what purchasing power means. Exchange rate means squat.

Exchange rate is not a useful measure for measuring the cost of living. You need to take purchasing power into account, as well.
What was that?
Local Purchasing Power in United Kingdom is 29.31% lower than in United States
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Countries Compared by Economy > GDP > Purchasing power parity per capita. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

Your not doing yourself any favors.

Last edited by Yac; 09-11-2014 at 06:21 AM..

Old 09-02-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
What was that?
Local Purchasing Power in United Kingdom is 29.31% lower than in United States
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Countries Compared by Economy > GDP > Purchasing power parity per capita. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

Your not doing yourself any favors.
Minimum wage is lower in the UK, thus, wages across the board are lower across the country. RN in the US makes $60k roughly, NHS RN makes £27k. Gallon of milk in the US costs $4.25 let's say, in the UK about £3.50 for 6 pints (0.9 gallons). Tesco sells a lot of storebrand food products for under £2, store brand prices where I live is typically no less than $3. Internet access in the US for shared 50Mb connection, about $60 a month. In the UK, £25. Costs for a cell phone with unlimited data is about $60 in the US, wife pays roughly £20 for hers. Dozen eggs in the US, $2. Dozen in the UK, 65-89 pence. Small space heater that we used in the winter, one of those simple fan forced heaters, cost £5 at Robert Dyas, same in the US cost me about $12. By the way, all UK prices have the sales tax (actually VAT in the UK, sales tax on producing it, sales tax on buying it) factored in already. US prices don't

Last edited by Yac; 09-11-2014 at 06:21 AM..

Old 09-02-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:

I'm not quite sure how that applies in the context of this conversation. Most companies don't care about the PPP. They just care what they care about the costs and the selling price. On the other hand though, it doesn't look like the exchange rate is important either.

http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index
http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibti...?itok=_XJ2NDXF
Minimum Wage And Purchasing Power Parity: Only Nine Countries Have A Higher Minimum Wage Than The US

Old 09-02-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not quite sure how that applies in the context of this conversation. Most companies don't care about the PPP. They just care what they care about the costs and the selling price. On the other hand though, it doesn't look like the exchange rate is important either.

Interactive currency-comparison tool: The Big Mac index | The Economist
http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibti...?itok=_XJ2NDXF
Minimum Wage And Purchasing Power Parity: Only Nine Countries Have A Higher Minimum Wage Than The US
This is pretty much in line with what I experienced and my wife, too. When she comes here, she remarks how groceries are more expensive here than back home. It's true. Basically what I'm saying is, I don't buy the argument that small businesses in the US are on the verge of extinction any day now if Democrats are kept in charge. If that was the case, small businesses in Europe would have gone out of business decades ago. Fact of the matter is, I've seen more small businesses in the UK than I do in my city. Very sad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies