Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 11:13 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,928,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdblair5 View Post
Absolutely having manufacturing jobs in the states would help a great deal, those a skilled labor jobs, not to mention the trickle effect it has in other areas with keeping labor and money directly in our nation and local economies.

I'll give you a couple of prime example in my local area alone.

Checkers/Rally's - the fast food chain. At one point all the checkers/rally's buildings were prefabbed built in Clearwater Florida, big plant, 3 shifts paid various wages depending the detail, when I worked there as a welder while I was going to college in the late 90's the minimum wage I believe was like 4.25 (?) I was making 10+ shift dif. Long story short the started buying older buildings and buying materials from Turkey and China. The plant closed

Same Plant- Robotic Parking, made those massive automated parking garages, shipped them world wide out of the port of Tampa, last a couple of years now they are over in Germany and in China

Port of Tampa hires welders and fitters still but no where in the numbers it use to because Florida in general doesn't export nearly as much as it use to, so those jobs are on the decline, so not only did we loose jobs directly associated with business moving over seas the end result was jobs being lost because other jobs worked in conjunction with those jobs

of course this also effects the general economy around the area, it is an unfortunate vicious cycle

However the answer is not taking an uneducated, unskilled workforce and overpaying. Because as it stand now, there are still skilled workers and educated people without viable jobs.
Tell that to the Republicans, one of their first planed actions after gaining the Senate will be to ensure there are even more skilled Americans out of work, there is a Thread on here discussing just that. Still love your GOP, sure you do.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:14 AM

118 posts, read 115,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
people such as minorities, veterans, elderly, disabled, etc etc.

We did our part in the past and now you want to dump on us.

Feels like you are paid to say this stuff. Are you?
who is dumping? take it however you want it, there are programs specifically for specific focus groups BESIDES generalized programs to help aid an individual to obtain an education; pointing that fact out is dumping?

Old 09-03-2014, 11:15 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczyn...e-mini#1d2tqo1
“Jason Riley said in an interview, Did you know before we had minimum wage laws black unemployment and white unemployment were the same? If we increase the minimum wage, black unemployment will skyrocket. See, he understands it, but the average black does not.”

Ah so go back to before workers had decent rights so we can ALL be broke poor! Awesome...hey Cruz's dad keep helping him! I love it...If republican business owners could they wouldn't pay ANY wage..then when workers strike they would just get their enforcers to go out and rough them up and force them back to work....We WON'T go backwards on workers rights right wingers...so stop trying! Maybe try running on something that people care about and stop trying to change what's been done and won't be reversed! You might get somewhere.
If all politicians suffered from their relative's talking or activities, well, let us recall Billy Carter, Roger Clinton, Patti Davis (Reagan), Ted Kennedy (as JFK's brother), The Bush twins, Malik Obama, Omar Okech Obama ...and those are just the ones in my lifetime.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:08 PM

78,318 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Not a bad thing, he is just Openly working for them instead of doing so behind closed doors as he had been. I think all politicians should be labeled like NASCAR's, with stickers to show who is pulling their strings, pssst, there will not be a label that says, The People.

No, most Latinos know who and what Cruz is, the main thing is he is Not one of them and no one really has to do any more than point to his own actions and words and step back. Cruz will never sit behind the desk in the Oval Office, he is simply not acceptable to most Americans, and that is a good thing.
I think getting anybody out of office that is not meeting the needs of their constituents is a good thing.

Lol @ "most latinos" and "not one of them".....like they are some monolithic group.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Tell that to the Republicans, one of their first planed actions after gaining the Senate will be to ensure there are even more skilled Americans out of work, there is a Thread on here discussing just that. Still love your GOP, sure you do.
NAFTA showed us that the american worker is boned by both parties and will lay there and take it.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:13 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,413 times
Quote:
No sorry not missing the point. You are ignoring the point. And I didn't realize personal responsibility was now looked upon as being smug and having a complex LOL. Must be nice, do you have someone type your forum posts for you, or can you manage that on your own?

Quote:
It does matter what someone does for a living, that in fact is what drives and compels not only an individual but a society to achieve greater things; I know your idols Obama and Marx tell you differently; but truth be told ( and this tidbit of information is free, no worries) Minimum wages jobs are not suppose to sustain indefinitely Ringing me up for my morning coffee doesn't merit a comfortable living wage; it is a stepping stone to what should be a viable career, maybe while you go to college or trade school.
......yes the are. Who the heck told you they weren't?

(Hint: Read the FLSA context)

"Viability" is irrelevant. Americans working full-time should not be paid slave wages. The person flipping burgers does not deserve starvation because he flips burgers. You are advocating for a two-class fuedal society. We have progressed past that over the last 100 years.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:18 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

"Viability" is irrelevant. Americans working full-time should not be paid slave wages. The person flipping burgers does not deserve starvation because he flips burgers. You are advocating for a two-class fuedal society. We have progressed past that over the last 100 years.
I don't see anyone starving.

Is it really a slave wage if someone agrees to do to work for compensation provided.

Maybe we should be worrying about the millions of low/no skill workers being imported from our southern border that drive wages down. Stop illegal immigration and wages will go up or is that racists?

Old 09-03-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

US immigration policies (aka turning a blind eye) combined with NAFTA have flooded the labor pool here and opened up competition for many us jobs to encompass a vastly broader labor pool.

That has stagnated the wages for many of the average Joe's.

Both parties have contributed to this with great bi-partisan success.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:39 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Why not instead allow for raises due to inflation, at least that way a person working minimum wage at least is not going backwards over time.
Why not make logical suggestions instead of repeating the same old rhetoric taught to the other pawns?
Please explain why raising the minimum wage to $50 per hour would be a bad idea?

Old 09-03-2014, 12:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Minimum wage does not make anyone equal or more prosperous. What it does is create a class that is not worth the minimum an employer must pay to get decent help.
Being self employed my entire life, I always had to be worth it to those that contracted with me. Even mowing grass in the neighborhood as a 6 yo kid, you learn quick what profit & loss is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.