Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 04:18 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,858,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I see it this way...

If the money's there, it should go to the workers. If the company's profit margin is too thin, then the increase should be to a lesser amount. But still, the workers are overdue for an increase.

You need a new prescription for your eyeglasses. If you don't wear any you need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 04:27 PM

18,402 posts, read 7,024,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
That's propaganda that conveniently avoid explaining how people making $7.75/hr are suppose to pay rent, gas, food, medical and other expenses and where exactly are these higher paying jobs they could move on to if they wanted?

The reality is that $7.25 minimum wage is not a wage that would allow people to survive on their own and it's a shame that we offer so little to hard working people in this country. No, flipping burgers in a 95deg kitchen is not an easy job and not everybody can become a nurse or a stock broker.
NEWS FLASH:

You're not supposed to be able to do all that on a TRAINING WAGE.

Back when I made minimum wage, I walked or took the bus to work and lived in a small apartment that I shared with 3 other people.

When I got a raise I bought a bike.

When I got a modest promotion and another raise I bought a beater car with CASH that I had saved.

When I got a better job with the experience and skill set I gained in the first job, I moved into my own small apartment and eventually got a nicer car.

After years of doing this, I got married, had a child and bought my first house.......BECAUSE I COULD FINALLY AFFORD IT .....I could afford it because I paid my dues, gaining experience and making myself more valuable to my employers over the course of DECADES.

This is how life works, and if an ex-stoner, collage dropout like me can do it, then your excuse as to why you can't is invalid unless you are disabled.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:30 PM

35,427 posts, read 20,812,644 times
The burger flippers and the rest of the "dirty jobs" folks should have had increases all along that's where you fail to see-- pay has gone down. That tells me right there, not too much interest on the real economy. I worked pt at the depot, $10.50 hour in 2000 I was never one of career people who were in the millions with stocks and making $30 hr-- but when I returned again on p-t basis -best offer was $7 hr. in 2006 yet they had super sales for the year? at first every body reaped the rewards,,, stinking thinking came into place & no more. Since they have cut the benes nobody gets more than 25 hrs and select few have full time positions. it's BS- One on here said if can pay less why not,, so illegals don't mind ---their cost of living is way less, so that ( less) money looks real good to send home. yea economics- capitalism or greed?

Old 09-04-2014, 04:35 PM

35,427 posts, read 20,812,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
NEWS FLASH:

You're not supposed to be able to do all that on a TRAINING WAGE.

Back when I made minimum wage, I walked or took the bus to work and lived in a small apartment that I shared with 3 other people.

When I got a raise I bought a bike.

When I got a modest promotion and another raise I bought a beater car with CASH that I had saved.

When I got a better job with the experience and skill set I gained in the first job, I moved into my own small apartment and eventually got a nicer car.

After years of doing this, I got married, had a child and bought my first house.......BECAUSE I COULD FINALLY AFFORD IT .....I could afford it because I paid my dues, gaining experience and making myself more valuable to my employers over the course of DECADES.

This is how life works, and if an ex-stoner, collage dropout like me can do it, then your excuse as to why you can't is invalid unless you are disabled.
for you - time to awaken--the jobs I used to do to climb the precious ladder NO LONGER exist in these 50 states,,, but I can be cable customer serv. rep in Mexico or a great technician in India...or even skilled factory worker in china--even a banking clerk... in Indonesia but not here-- wake up and smell the cafe, the playing field has changed.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:39 PM

34,301 posts, read 15,558,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Australia has a $15 per hour minimum wage and yet a big Mac costs virtually the same as in the US.
Are they using road kill Kangaroo ? I never tried it. It might be good. Not sure what's in a big Mac here either.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:42 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,109,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What i don't get is this notion people have that burger flippers are out of line for even asking for more.

Do burger flippers tell you what you can or can't demand from your employer?

This is America...You can ask for anything you want.

And employers can reject it.
Bingo!!! Conservatives are anti union so that's the main reason they've taken sides in the discussion.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:47 PM

18,402 posts, read 7,024,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yet a business that totally ignores the needs of workers is not sustainable.
True, but only as it relates to the market value of their labor.
A wage is an agreed upon contract of sorts between an employee and and employer.
As far as I know, there are no chains behind the counter at Micky Dee's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
That's true, but no business should operate to the detriment of society. We don't allow businesses to indiscriminately poison the environment and we shouldn't allow them to pay substandard wages, forcing the society to pick up the tab and support said employees with taxpayers money.
Why don't you try to survive on a $1,200 / month budget?

I have survived on much less.

My first full time job netted me about $490.00 a month, which is probably still less when adjusted for inflation.
I was able to do this because I set realistic limits on my lifestyle to live within my means until I could afford to revise those limits.

Why other able bodied people can not or will not do the same thing is not my responsibility.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:54 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,226,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Maybe if you did some research you would find that McDonalds owners make on the average $47,000. This is a far cry from billions.

Also, again I will state, if someone can not survive unless they work 80 hours a week, that just means they are living somewhere that the COL is too high. If they move to somewhere the COL is lower, they can survive on min wage at 40 hours per week.
That's not accurate. The average US McD's sells $2.5 million annually and requires a min of $750K in non borrowed funds before you can apply for a franchise. McD's doesn't release net earnings estimates, so that is anyone's guess, but you can make far more than $47K on a lower investment and less sales in other ventures.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:59 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,070,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That's not accurate. The average US McD's sells $2.5 million annually and requires a min of $750K in non borrowed funds before you can apply for a franchise. McD's doesn't release net earnings estimates, so that is anyone's guess, but you can make far more than $47K on a lower investment and less sales in other ventures.
Yet I provided links that showed what the average is, just because you don't want to admit it doesn't change it.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:19 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,226,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Yet I provided links that showed what the average is, just because you don't want to admit it doesn't change it.
No you didn't. You linked to a blog stating what the average FF owner salary is - that's not net profit and it's not McD's. Nobody is going to invest $750K+ just to make $47K.

Ok, it looks like McD's profit is in the mid to high 6 figures at $2.2-$2.6 million, so definitely not $47K.

McDonalds Franchise - Buying a McDonalds Franchise For Sale - McDonalds Profits, Sales, Earnings - McDonalds FDD
2014 McDonald's Franchise Disclosure Document (FDD)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies