Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 04:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Griffin View Post
How bout I stead of that we make college more affordable for EVERYONE.
This is a good idea in general but the devil is in the details and........

Quote:
And we encourage students to do better before they even graduate high school.
People still have to fill these jobs. If 3 times as many people get engineer degree's as will get one today the pay of engineer's will go way down.

What some times seems to be simple solutions always aren't so simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 04:52 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What i don't get is this notion people have that burger flippers are out of line for even asking for more.

Do burger flippers tell you what you can or can't demand from your employer?

This is America...You can ask for anything you want.

And employers can reject it.
It's one thing if the workers themselves ASK for a raise. I say go for it! It then becomes the decision of the business owner. It's an entirely different thing if the minimum wage is mandated by law. Because once you cross that line.. you can never go back. And that action will cause other action on down the line. Prices may rise. Hours may be cut back. Inflation may go wild. Any number of things COULD happen. Will they? Maybe, maybe not... but let's face it.. It's not always greener on the other side unless it's fertilized with BS.

I just can't help but wonder if this is another thing that folks want without really stopping to think about the consequences......

Old 09-03-2014, 04:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
As someone mentioned in another thread, stupid people have stupid kids.

No burger flipper is worth $15/hr--and if they get it--and raise the price of their food (as they will), I just won't eat at fast-food joints any longer.
You can't possibly know that.

What you know is that they don't get $15.00 across the board right now.

Are you worth what you're being paid? Should burger flippers determine what you should be paid and are they qualified to do so?

You're worth whatever the market can bear. And when it comes to burger flippers, none of us know what that number is.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:54 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,449,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Here is another thought --- It's the Henry Ford Theory ( pay them enough to buy the product your making ). My typical fast food meal is about $ 10.00 and I know that is more than they make in one hours work. And it's part time so not likely going to eat there much if at all.
Except most fast food workers get a free or reduced cost meal as part of their break.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
You can't possible know that.

Are you worth what you're being paid? Should burger flippers determine what you should be paid and are they qualified to do so?

You're worth whatever the market can bear. And when it comes to burger flippers, none of us know what that number is.
There are no shortages of burger flippers so it would seem we pretty much do know.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:55 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
So are we going to have scab burger flippers crossing picket lines and violence against them by those on strike. A promise they get their jobs back? What about if location closes are we going to have burger flippers job banks?
Who cares?

Adapt or get left behind... That goes for the employer and employee alike. The McJobs in ND can't even keep people at $20.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:56 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
I like the robots ideal !!! AND lets add self pay and checkout to the equation. WOW just like they used to say " you can have it your way" hold the pickle. No really HOLD IT. Now your getting the personal experience you desire.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
It's one thing if the workers themselves ASK for a raise. I say go for it! It then becomes the decision of the business owner. It's an entirely different thing if the minimum wage is mandated by law. Because once you cross that line.. you can never go back. And that action will cause other action on down the line. Prices may rise. Hours may be cut back. Inflation may go wild. Any number of things COULD happen. Will they? Maybe, maybe not... but let's face it.. It's not always greener on the other side unless it's fertilized with BS.

I just can't help but wonder if this is another thing that folks want without really stopping to think about the consequences......
Well, there are no real world consequences to me...If burgers become too expensive, I won't buy them as often.

I really don't know what people are afraid of. It's no big deal.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:57 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
You can't possible know that.

Yep. True. And if burger flippers get $15/hr, that will result in already too-high-priced fast food being even less appetitizing. The public can definitely vote on that one with their feet and pocketbooks.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:58 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
You can't possibly know that.

I would say most know it's certainly not $15. and that has nothing to do employees of a fast food entity determining my pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies