Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 04:33 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,310,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
None of the degree fields you just named are cheap, all of them require multiple math ans science courses, all of which require extra pre requisites and extra course and lab fees.And in some cases you have to pay for placement test you have done all that, and if you dont pass that test, you have just wasted a year, maybe 2 of school
Actually, no. My first degree was in engineering. A 2 years associates degree.

I didn't take any placement tests. I took quite a bit of English and history courses. Yes, there was a lot of math, but it was simple math.

Total cost was very cheap. Afterwards I applied to several jobs and finally found a job in cellular. I now have a bachelors degree and work making nearly 6 figures by myself with at&t.

This is not that hard, people simply don't apply themselves and look for the easiest way out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 04:35 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,432,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's all beside the point.

If they make demands that are so unreasonable as to put them out of work, then who cares? It's their problem, not yours.

But I'm not gonna sit here and say that they aren't worth $15 an hour. I have no way of knowing that. I only know that most of then don't get it now...that doesn't mean much of anything.
Why $15? Why not $50? Who came up with $15

They are being used by unions. Unions see if they can get a few business owners to give a few workers a higher wage they can then use that to unionize all fast food workers. The unions are hurting due to declining membership. They dont care about the workers. The workers are a cash cow for the unions. I feel for the workers who think they are essential when the reality is burger flippers are a dime a dozen.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:50 AM

20,948 posts, read 18,985,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't know if they should or shouldn't.

I have an agreement with Burger flippers...they don't tell me how much money I can ask for and I reciprocate.

Is fifteen bucks unrealistic or an overreach? Maybe.

But one has the right in America to overreach and make excessive demands. It's none of my business what they ask for.

If an employer agrees to give it to them, it's no skin off my back regardless.

Price of a burger might go up...But I can afford it. If I don't like it then no one is forcing me to buy it.,
Wait outside of McD's at shift change and simply tip each worker as they leave. Get a few like minded friends to do it and you can make a difference.

Talk to a few franchise owners.....it's not very easy to make ends meet without much sacrifice and many hours.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:08 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,731,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
There are so many noble respectable careers/jobs in this country, that many can argue should get a bump in pay.

Someone explain to me.
Why should someone who flips burgers, and ask "Do you want fries with that", someone who has a skill less, entry level, easily replaceable job get paid anywhere near 15/hr?
Why do you need someone who is a liberal to answer that question. Why don't you phrase is as smart people or people smarter than me answer this question. There are pretty much no liberals on this entire board, so you might as well be asking the question to yourself. Given the emotional nature of it, that's probably a better action anyways.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:18 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,586,671 times
Would any of you be willing to work for less than $15/hr with less than 40 hrs. per week? Would you be able to pay your rent and still get to work?

Why should employers that pay low wages be subsidized by their worker's parents or the government (Wall-Mart help employees apply for welfare for instance)?

Old 09-04-2014, 05:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,935,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Would any of you be willing to work for less than $15/hr with less than 40 hrs. per week?
Many of us have.

Quote:
Would you be able to pay your rent and still get to work?
Those of us that have are not homeless.

Quote:
Why should employers that pay low wages be subsidized by their worker's parents or the government (Wall-Mart help employees apply for welfare for instance)?
They haven't demanded that. Those programs weren't put in place by Wal Mart.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:42 AM

3,999 posts, read 4,123,603 times
Quote:
Would any of you be willing to work for less than $15/hr with less than 40 hrs. per week? Would you be able to pay your rent and still get to work?

Yes of course... and I have.. more often than not.

I might or might not be able to pay my rent, too many factors you left out of the equation. Location? Married? Children? Transportation? Do I get entitlements? Do I have an education? Do I have the ability to move up into management at the minimum wage job? Asking a question with broad parameters accomplishes nothing......

Old 09-04-2014, 05:49 AM

1,259 posts, read 824,424 times
Quote:

Exactly. Are we some third-world country where people have to work 80 hrs a week just to survive?

People working in fast food work very hard (try to stand in 95 deg heat of a kitchen for 8 hours) making peanuts while McD owners make billions.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:02 AM

1,259 posts, read 824,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Many of us have.

Those of us that have are not homeless.

They haven't demanded that. Those programs weren't put in place by Wal Mart.

Oh really? How do you survive at $8/hr @ 35 hours a week which comes up to some $1,100 a month?
How do you pay your rent, even if you have roommates, your car insurance, gas, food and occasional medical expenses?

Let's be honest here, in this century and post-NAFTA, post-GATT economy, service jobs like fast-food and restaurants are no longer reserved for high school kids making money on the side, they became careers and people should be compensated at levels allowing them to survive in these careers.
Nobody is asking for a "middle class experience" for fast food workers but $1,100 a month most of them make puts them below is "poverty line" and in fact qualifies fast-food workers for public assistance. That has to change.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:04 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,068,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Exactly. Are we some third-world country where people have to work 80 hrs a week just to survive?

People working in fast food work very hard (try to stand in 95 deg heat of a kitchen for 8 hours) making peanuts while McD owners make billions.
Maybe if you did some research you would find that McDonalds owners make on the average $47,000. This is a far cry from billions.

Also, again I will state, if someone can not survive unless they work 80 hours a week, that just means they are living somewhere that the COL is too high. If they move to somewhere the COL is lower, they can survive on min wage at 40 hours per week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies