Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 06:11 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Oh really? How do you survive at $8/hr @ 35 hours a week which comes up to some $1,100 a month?
How do you pay your rent, even if you have roommates, your car insurance, gas, food and occasional medical expenses?

Let's be honest here, in this century and post-NAFTA, post-GATT economy, service jobs like fast-food and restaurants are no longer reserved for high school kids making money on the side, they became careers and people should be compensated at levels allowing them to survive in these careers.
Nobody is asking for a "middle class experience" for fast food workers but $1,100 a month most of them make puts them below is "poverty line" and in fact qualifies fast-food workers for public assistance. That has to change.
what has to change....

they are UNSKILLED workers

most americans are employed by small business, and most small business is operating on a 1%-10% profit margin

we just saw the min wage get raised in 07/09 and it was part of the perfect storm recession

raising the min wage will cost jobs...

raising wages even hurts the middleclass more...why because it wont make them more viable...especially when everything costs more

raising the minwage adds to inflation.. thereby hurting the middleclass

thousands of small businesses are facing situations like this:

Quote:
here is an example of what will happen with this 'raising'

minimum wage is for UNSKILLED currently at 7.20

I pay my UNSKILLED laborers (that clean the shop) over $9 an hour, the min wage is $7.2

an example:

I run a maintenance shop
I have a shop foreman...$24/hr
I have 3 mechanics.......$22/hr
I have a parts manager...$22/hr
I have 2 mechanic helpers...$14
I have 2 parts workers/drivers...$12
I have 2 labors (to clear the shop)....$9 (2 over min)

minimum wage is $7.2

the 'government' raises the minimum wage to 15

now I HAVE to increase the laborers wage to AT LEAST 15.. and he will WANT $17 (2 over min)....but If I give the "unskilled" laborer $17 then the driver (must maintain a clean license) will want more (hey boss, I was making $3 more than the unskilled guy) ...as so on, and so on...

either that or you will make what was 'above' min wage skilled worker to being min wage workers

thus RAISING THE COSTS of my SERVICE that I provide to the society.....
I would to raise salaries on mech helpers, drivers, and laborers...not to mention the actual SKILLED workers....meanwhile the business will end up failing, because it not is too costly to stay in business

so either costs will go up....or people will get laid-off......because as a small shop owner I cant afford to give any more than I am giving

this is just one example of what will happen, if we try raising the min wage anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 06:14 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Just watched this story on msnbc (Don't know how I managed to get on that channel, maybe their other 10 or so viewers also saw this story.) Apparently tomorrow the fast food workers around the country will be walking off their easily replaceable jobs, they will be demanding 15/hr, and unions.. Ed Shultz has been slurping up Obama for supporting this, for 5 minutes.

There are so many noble respectable careers/jobs in this country, that many can argue should get a bump in pay.

Someone explain to me.
Why should someone who flips burgers, and ask "Do you want fries with that", someone who has a skill less, entry level, easily replaceable job get paid anywhere near 15/hr?

I see it this way...

If the money's there, it should go to the workers. If the company's profit margin is too thin, then the increase should be to a lesser amount. But still, the workers are overdue for an increase.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:22 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Maybe if you did some research you would find that McDonalds owners make on the average $47,000. This is a far cry from billions.

Also, again I will state, if someone can not survive unless they work 80 hours a week, that just means they are living somewhere that the COL is too high. If they move to somewhere the COL is lower, they can survive on min wage at 40 hours per week.
What? Where did you get this data from? And no people can't move 50 miles away from their jobs as the commute would be too costly.

Here:

Million-Dollar Burger -- The Most Lucrative Fast-Food Restaurants - Forbes

Old 09-04-2014, 06:25 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
What? Where did you get this data from? And no people can't move far away from their jobs as the commute would be too costly.

Here:

Million-Dollar Burger -- The Most Lucrative Fast-Food Restaurants - Forbes
you do realize that most McDonalds are owned by small business owners. They are franchises owned by a single person not the McDonalds corporation. Oh wait, you don't want to acknowledge that because that would prove you want the middle class to disappear.

The Average Income for Fast Food Franchise Owners | Chron.com

the commute would, but if they were to move to a lower COL area and find employment there, they would be able to survive on 40 hours a week at minimum wage.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:36 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Why do minimum wage discussions automatically go right into "Burger-Flippers"? There are so so many more jobs in the minimum wage world that have nothing to do with burger flipping.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Why do minimum wage discussions automatically go right into "Burger-Flippers"? There are so so many more jobs in the minimum wage world that have nothing to do with burger flipping.
because min wag is for unskilled workers

min wage only effects 1% of all workers

burgerflipper
broom pusher

my first job (at age 16) was a burgerflipper with white castle

all UNSKILLED laborers

Old 09-04-2014, 06:44 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Explain to me why you would rather pay less for your burgers, and more in taxes to support those who cannot afford to live.

Since they cannot afford to live (even some with up to 4 jobs) they certainly cannot afford the necessary education/training to earn more.

When they get laid off because the restaurant cannot afford to pay them what they demand, I'll still have to pay their way in life and then they'll be home to make more babies they can't afford.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:45 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Just watched this story on msnbc (Don't know how I managed to get on that channel, maybe their other 10 or so viewers also saw this story.) Apparently tomorrow the fast food workers around the country will be walking off their easily replaceable jobs, they will be demanding 15/hr, and unions.. Ed Shultz has been slurping up Obama for supporting this, for 5 minutes.

There are so many noble respectable careers/jobs in this country, that many can argue should get a bump in pay.

Someone explain to me.
Why should someone who flips burgers, and ask "Do you want fries with that", someone who has a skill less, entry level, easily replaceable job get paid anywhere near 15/hr?
I for one do not watch the station, but did catch it on another source, that said I cannot actually say what the minimum wage should be, in different areas it my vary due to the cost of living. To me that is not the issue, the issue is inflation, to me it is only logical that the minimum at least keep pace with inflation, otherwise those making a minimum wage are not getting the amount deemed to be far as a minimum wage because as inflation increases the value of what they are paid decreases. So determine what is the fair minimum wage then automatically raise on a periotic basis so that the among becomes less than what it was intended to be. This is not rocket science folks, use some logic and common sense and stop the whining and correct the problem, then get on to the next issue on the todo list, and it is a long list.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Exactly. Are we some third-world country where people have to work 80 hrs a week just to survive?

People working in fast food work very hard (try to stand in 95 deg heat of a kitchen for 8 hours) making peanuts while McD owners make billions.
The A/C works in the kitchen also. Did I really have to note the obvious?

Old 09-04-2014, 07:03 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Oh really? How do you survive at $8/hr @ 35 hours a week which comes up to some $1,100 a month?
Room mates.

Quote:
How do you pay your rent, even if you have roommates, your car insurance, gas, food and occasional medical expenses?
People are doing it all around the country every day.

Quote:
Let's be honest here, in this century and post-NAFTA, post-GATT economy, service jobs like fast-food and restaurants are no longer reserved for high school kids making money on the side, they became careers and people should be compensated at levels allowing them to survive in these careers.

I note this over and over and over and it never gets addressed. The problem is NOT that people outside of what was once typical for fast food workers are looking for those jobs. The problem is other jobs leaving the country. Not addressing the actual problem is not going to solve anything.

These are low skilled entry level jobs and nothing is going to change that. Being low skilled as noted they will be easily automated and the jobs are gone if we try and make them something they are not.

This is the problem, not fast food jobs.

White House Jobs Czar, GE CEO Immelt Moves Jobs to China

Address the real problem.

Quote:
Nobody is asking for a "middle class experience" for fast food workers but $1,100 a month most of them make puts them below is "poverty line" and in fact qualifies fast-food workers for public assistance. That has to change.
Incredible. Simply incredible the disconnect here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies