Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:09 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

And the robot will have breakdowns, downtime, and regular servicing. This will require a contractor, or a full time employee to keep it running. The same cost as many of the other workers in the line. Those people are easily replaceable, unlike the robot if something happens.

The future of fast food is automated ordering. It'll be a decade before we start seeing fully automated food lines. This is a flight of fancy at this point, and more of a novelty piece than anything. Anyone who has worked at any fast food restaurant understands, quite a bit of the process is already automated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 12:12 PM

430 posts, read 379,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
The "draft horse" does not get a say in when they eat or get to head back to the barn.
Well those slaves are tired of being slaves and want a livable wage. They get it or else. I support them 100%!

Old 09-04-2014, 12:15 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
I think what they should do is take a class in robot repair.

Everyone knows the flakiest piece of machinery in an office is the photocopy machine.

I see tens of thousands of brand new robots and the same number of robot repair people.

It's time they get some training.

Plus they can earn 15.00 + and it will be well justified so.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:17 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I think what they should do is take a class in robot repair.

Everyone knows the flakiest piece of machinery in an office is the photocopy machine.

I see tens of thousands of brand new robots and the same number of robot repair people.

It's time they get some training.
I took robotics courses in college. Pretty simple to write a program and teach it how to make and do things. Mostly we were using an automated lathe and some other equipment.

Its mainly fixing hydraulic hoses, fittings, and maintaining the work area around the robot that is needed. 9 out of 10 robot failures come from someone placing something to close to the robots predefined working path.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:17 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
It's always easiest to pick the yardstick that has you winning and disparage those that don't measure up.
That's the luxury that comes from making sure you're the one to pick up that yard stick. Good choices...

Old 09-04-2014, 12:19 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
Well those slaves are tired of being slaves and want a livable wage. They get it or else. I support them 100%!
So how often do you slip an extra $10 to the guy behind the counter when getting your Happy Meal?

Old 09-04-2014, 12:23 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
That's the luxury that comes from making sure you're the one to pick up that yard stick. Good choices...
It's one thing to measure yourself compared to where you want to be, it's another to measure others in order to dehumanize them.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:25 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Sounds like a pretty cool piece of equipment. It will create jobs for skilled people to engineer and build the machines, most likely people making >$15 per hour in the first place. They will also reduce the burden of tedious, unskilled labor jobs. Sort of like replacing 10 shovels with a backhoe, or 100 people with scythes with a combine. This will reduce the cost of products and free up people for more productive effort. If your job can be replaced by a machine...you weren't worth much in the first place.

Bring it.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:26 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
It's amazing how the right loves to stomp on the little guy.

They must have some serious self-esteem issues.
Actually, they learned how to overcome their self-esteem issues and make their lives better.

It's those demanding $15/hour for monkey work that have self-esteem issues. Thought that was pretty obvious, but I'm constantly reminded on this board that no matter how obvious something might be, those who don't want to see it, won't.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:28 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,746 times
If that robot was any good, employees at French mcdonalds who are making over $18/hr would be out of their jobs by now. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies