Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Avg American is
Brilliant 12 4.86%
Pretty Smart 19 7.69%
prob avg smarts 77 31.17%
Not that smart 81 32.79%
Dumber than dirt, short sighted too 58 23.48%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
How would you rate the intelligence of the avg American?

Well, I'd say about half of them are idiots.

I'll let you guess which half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 11:33 AM

326 posts, read 1,371,702 times
So if half are idiots, are you in the other three quarters

Old 01-02-2008, 11:35 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Yeah....something like that LOL.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:37 AM

83 posts, read 397,787 times
I think america is very split. It has some of the best universities in the world, brilliant scientists, authors etc. and a broad intellectual elite, but on the other hand middle andworking class people are sometimes shockingly uneducated, not stupid though.

I was on a teacher's exchange programme in Northern Virginia fro 3 and a half weeks and I got to know very intelligent people, but the students..... 12th graders (living a few miles south of DC) thought New York was America's capital!!! Some confused the Iraq war with the second world war and about 80% of all americans I met couldn't tell the difference between Austria and Australia. Funny, because there are so many american tourists in austria. The shocking thing was that I thought only poor working class people had little education, but I thaught at a private school in an upper middle class neighborhood.

Americans sure are just as intelligent as everyone else, but most of the population has a worse education.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:56 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke81 View Post
I think america is very split. It has some of the best universities in the world, brilliant scientists, authors etc. and a broad intellectual elite, but on the other hand middle andworking class people are sometimes shockingly uneducated, not stupid though.

I was on a teacher's exchange programme in Northern Virginia fro 3 and a half weeks and I got to know very intelligent people, but the students..... 12th graders (living a few miles south of DC) thought New York was America's capital!!! Some confused the Iraq war with the second world war and about 80% of all americans I met couldn't tell the difference between Austria and Australia. Funny, because there are so many american tourists in austria. The shocking thing was that I thought only poor working class people had little education, but I thaught at a private school in an upper middle class neighborhood.

Americans sure are just as intelligent as everyone else, but most of the population has a worse education.
Yes, yes. We have heard these horror stories over and over. The funny thing is that those of us who have resided in Europe have perhaps even more horror stories to tell. Its been endlessly debated here, so I will not repeat what the search function can find. Suffice it to say, the sheer ignorance of those who gave us Goethe, Shakespeare, Da Vinci and Rembrandt is frightening at times.

Of course I cannot resist a tidbit- not a proper statistical sample, but I have met more than one Austrian who, in all seriousness, insisted that Hitler was Swiss, not Austrian.

Hitler aus der Schweiz? Doch!

Old 01-02-2008, 03:11 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
Default know better

Well since the Iowa Caucasus are tomorrow.

Americans in the democratic party:
People that pretend they're educated but are really stupid.

Americans in the republican party:
People that are angry and stupid.

Americans that are Independents:
People who know better but just don't have any real choice to change things.

Last edited by baystater; 01-02-2008 at 03:29 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 03:27 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,634 times
Watch:

YouTube - American Geography

YouTube - Geography Lesson for Americans

I do not know if I should laugh or cry.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:56 PM

365 posts, read 699,165 times
I think on a whole the entire planet is pretty retarded, look how many people believe what they read online, lol.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:00 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
pretty darn smart i would say. We figured out how to run the world after world war 2 pretty darn quick.
Two words: Bretton Woods

Any new tricks after 50 some odd years?

Old 01-02-2008, 05:22 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
The average American has an IQ of 102. Geo W Bush has an IQ of 90.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies