Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 02:55 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,768,449 times

Advertisements

Being called a Yankee is offensive to everyone in the USA. It is derogatory and needs to be changed.

New England has to know by now, the Patriots is a racist term and places you on the DHS domestic terrorist list. The name needs to be changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 02:59 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,150,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Being called a Yankee is offensive to everyone in the USA. It is derogatory and needs to be changed.

New England has to know by now, the Patriots is a racist term and places you on the DHS domestic terrorist list. The name needs to be changed.
As someone in the US I call BS. A team name based off of a racial slur and a team name based off of a nonracial nick name are not the same...

Old 09-04-2014, 03:02 PM

24,865 posts, read 24,446,177 times
Quote:

Call me a redneck, I'll call you a Yankee if you were born north of Kentucky and east of the Mississippi river.

In the south a

Yankee = someone living north of the Mason/Dixon line and east of the river.

A Damned Yankee = someone born north of the Mason/Dixon line, and east of the river, but moved to the south to stay.

A God Damned Yankee = someone born north of the Mason/Dixon line, east of the river, moved to the south, and married one of our own.

Basic southern knowledge

Old 09-04-2014, 03:35 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,406,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Call me a redneck, I'll call you a Yankee if you were born north of Kentucky and east of the Mississippi river.

In the south a

A Damned Yankee = someone born north of the Mason/Dixon line, and east of the river, but moved to the south to stay.

A God Damned Yankee = someone born north of the Mason/Dixon line, east of the river, moved to the south, and married one of our own.

Basic southern knowledge
LOL I just saw this in a book about Bill Clinton. A NYT reporter was in Arkansas nosing around about Whitewater. A local asked him, 'boy do you know the difference between a Yankee and a damn Yankee.' 'No sir,' the NYT reporter replied. 'The damn Yankee stayed,' came the answer.

Personally I think that the difference between a southerner and a damn southerner is that the latter continues to vote D in spite of knowing that D's would ban your guns, redefine the word 'marriage,' and turn tail & run when some towel-heads shake their fist at us.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:44 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,470,192 times
Quote:
I thought you hated political correctness...especially about a nickname and not a racial slur in exaggeration.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:51 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,485,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

In the south a

Basic southern knowledge
OR "Married a white woman".

Old 09-04-2014, 03:51 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,945,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
As someone in the US I call BS. A team name based off of a racial slur and a team name based off of a nonracial nick name are not the same...
Fighting Irish of Notre dame? That WAS def a slur against those of us of Irish family not too long ago. The difference is we see it as a joke in 2014 and "join the party" on St Patrick's day.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,039,291 times
I think Yankee goes back to the revolution war in what British solders called our soldier. Yankee doodle dandy sound familiar. Lots of such names not intended to be nice such as names for German's in both wars; redneck etc. A slur is a slur; racial or cultural.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:55 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,485,812 times
Well, being a Cherokee myself, I liked the name "Washington Redskins". I guess the Blacks are offended because they weren't called "Washington _________!!

Old 09-04-2014, 04:19 PM

25,882 posts, read 16,602,938 times
Americans used to be too busy inventing things and accomplishing important things to worry about mere words. Now the loudest, whiniest and the least likely to ever accomplish anything are absolutely obsessed with words.

And they seem to be in charge these days. Just look at the plight of the country. Explains a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies