Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 12:25 AM

118 posts, read 115,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Im not playing the tit for tat game. I just honeslty dont understand the fixation on OOW births among blacks when the actual number of births is more for white.

If the argument is(in education that is) that not having a father at home is the problem, then why dont we see the same problem among whites.....or if we do, again, why is it not discussed seeing as they would still be a larger number than blacks ?
It is an issue with whites, but to be honest any issue dealing with white children is always put on the back burner because black children are front and center. I really don't know how else to put it. The statistics are there though to substantiate the concerns, do white children drop out? yes. Is it cause for concern? Of course. What should we do about it, well... We can't actually do anything for it, because we can't do anything specifically geared towards "white children" In my district, and as far as I know in my state, there are no programs at all that are specifically designed for white children, none. There're programs white children MIGHT qualify for, but they won't be the first on the list.

But to be perfectly honest, these programs are part of the problem, because they are worthless, but it just goes to show you that white people are not dismissive of "our problems" we don't think its ok that "our kids" drop out, the simple truth is the system is more concerned about minorities.

White children from broken homes will have a hard time achieving success, and they do, not as hard because they tend to have a secondary support system such as grandparents, again you have to look at the underline issue and understand how it can how compounding effects from generation to generation.

Last year in my district: 88% of all white non-Hispanic drop outs came from a single family home (National avergae 74.6)

91.6% non-Hispanic African- American drop outs came from a single family home (National average 83.4)

93.7% of all Juvenile offenders DoE warded came from single family homes

I mean...

the issues is there for all races, white, black, hispanic, etc etc. It really is clear as day.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:30 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdblair5 View Post
It is an issue with whites, but to be honest any issue dealing with white children is always put on the back burner because black children are front and center. I really don't know how else to put it. The statistics are there though to substantiate the concerns, do white children drop out? yes. Is it cause for concern? Of course. What should we do about it, well... We can't actually do anything for it, because we can't do anything specifically geared towards "white children" In my district, and as far as I know in my state, there are no programs at all that are specifically designed for white children, none. There're programs white children MIGHT qualify for, but they won't be the first on the list.

But to be perfectly honest, these programs are part of the problem, because they are worthless, but it just goes to show you that white people are not dismissive of "our problems" we don't think its ok that "our kids" drop out, the simple truth is the system is more concerned about minorities.

White children from broken homes will have a hard time achieving success, and they do, not as hard because they tend to have a secondary support system such as grandparents, again you have to look at the underline issue and understand how it can how compounding effects from generation to generation.

Last year in my district: 88% of all white non-Hispanic drop outs came from a single family home (National avergae 74.6)

91.6% non-Hispanic African- American drop outs came from a single family home (National average 83.4)

I mean...

the issues is there for all races, white, black, hispanic, etc etc. It really is clear as day.
Exactly.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:32 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Well, let me be specific. The statement seems to hold true, generally speaking, for the subculture being discussed. The ongoing discussion among many women within the subculture regarding challenges in finding marriage partners only lends credence to that.
I disagree, and I'm not being disagreeing for the sake of argument. The ongoing discussions of a few women certainly isn't the voice of the majority.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:37 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I disagree, and I'm not being disagreeing for the sake of argument. The ongoing discussions of a few women certainly isn't the voice of the majority.
If it were only a few women, then they would not have that voice. It just goes to show that the majority want to be married, and the minority do not. Consider the religious affiliations of so many as that also lends credence to the majority wanting to be married. As well as the fact that the majority do eventually marry, just later than many...

Old 09-05-2014, 01:08 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,544 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdblair5 View Post

I mean...

What do you mean that the system is more concerned about minority kids. Can you give an example ?

Old 09-05-2014, 02:36 AM

118 posts, read 115,797 times
Quote:
What do you mean that the system is more concerned about minority kids. Can you give an example ?
Yes, in fact I was hoping I could find an article for you that gave specific numbers because I really don't like guessing them, even though I am familiar with the statistics ( fairly) sadly I cannot find it at this time, but either way let us continue

What I mean is, we have initiative programs at the federal, state, county, district, and even city level; all across America, certain programs became required, they are either passed down and funded by the Federal Government, or we are obligated to fund the program at a state level ( in some capacity) in order to get potential funding from the Federal Government.

Either way, all these programs are specifically low income student and families, they are generalized ( meaning not specifically for a certain group of people IE white or black) but because of the "requirements" an overwhelming percentage of those funds go to a black and Hispanic students; ( 80 something %)

these are programs like LEA, PELL, MERPA, NCLB, ( the list is pretty extensive )

Now you get into the second tier programs, those that are specific for minorities, basically everyone besides dirt poor white kids:

Step Up
Stars
Urban Outreach

We even have the NAACP telling us how we need to start handling the kids.

I have no issue with the system being concerned for the kids, it is in fact what we do, but it should be ALL of the kids, and frankly about 80% of the programs and other crap we do is worthless anyway. None of is has proven to work. It is just wasted tax payer dollars.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:42 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Article posted on Think Progress by a black sociology professor, yeah sounds legit.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:46 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
You're in utter denial or don't follow education related news. It's not a stretch to say that the entire federal education department today is focused on losing the gaps. I'm not an educator and it's apparent to me. What's sad is that the government seeks to blame the teachers instead of where it truly belongs.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:47 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
If it were only a few women, then they would not have that voice. It just goes to show that the majority want to be married, and the minority do not. Consider the religious affiliations of so many as that also lends credence to the majority wanting to be married. As well as the fact that the majority do eventually marry, just later than many...
Says who? The most vocal women certainly haven't demonstrated that they are the majority nor are most of them religious. Either way, your logic can go both ways--since the majority of these women are having children out of wedlock, that would only lead one to believe that this is what they want.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:50 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Myth? Really?

The ones who do are a small minority.

I also know quite a few white dreck who banged out kids and never supported them, so, there it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies