Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 09:02 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Although Europe has more stake in the outcome as they have allowed millions of potential terrorists into their countries Europe can't solve the problems in the ME either. The only coalition of consequence will be one of ME countries - especially Saudi Arabia that do more than sit on the sidelines and let the US and the "willing" do the job they need to do. I haven't seen a thing from the Saudis except the king telling the US we better act.
Allowing potential terrorist into their country? yea, something like what is happening on the U.S. - Mexican border right now.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:05 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times
I certainly agree that it would be better to have more ME countries involved in the coalition, however, I'm willing to give the current coalition a chance at least. I have been a critic of President Obama on many issues but I will give him credit for at least trying something. I saw yesterday that President Obama and British PM Cameron in particular, and other European leaders as well worked almost the entire day yesterday on what to do about ISIS so that's a good thing IMO.

In addition, the U.S. military has been conducting selective strikes on key ISIS targets for at least the last several days so I'm glad to see that. That's a containment strategy but it's better than nothing IMO.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:12 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Welcome to Gulf War III. Once again we pick sides in a never ending civil war in the ME. How young Americans will die fighting to protect the people of the Middle East this time?

There is NO reason for our people to be there and fight for these people. Iraq alone has some 31 million people...vs <100,000 "fighters" in ISIS. For those bad at math, that's 310 to 1. If the people of Iraq wanted ISIS gone, they would be gone. Instead they cower, throw down their weapons, or just do nothing. Or worse, support ISIS. They are not worth the sacrifice of an American life. I would have hoped we would have learned that by now.

Sadly, I suspect this latest Middle East war is more about politics and grandstanding before the November elections than anything else. How many more Americans will die so some useless politician can talk tough about his opposition to ISIS?

Every year I become more disgusted with politicians of both parties.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:13 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Only if they could translate that thinking (share the burden) on the home front.

We should bring back the draft. If you don't have a job you are required to enlist. I'll bet a lot of people would find jobs then.
If there were a draft there we would not have been in the ME for 13 years. We would also not be thinking about this misadventure that Obama is about to launch on us. Furthermore, *********r don't have a job suggestion. The RICH need to have their damn kids drafted too. Putting the burden of a war that fattens the wallets of the rich on the backs of the poor is a disgusting, pathetic idea. We did that before in Vietnam. If you had ever been a draft victim, you would see the utter stupidity of that remark.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:20 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Welcome to Gulf War III. Once again we pick sides in a never ending civil war in the ME. How young Americans will die fighting to protect the people of the Middle East this time?

There is NO reason for our people to be there and fight for these people. Iraq alone has some 31 million people...vs <100,000 "fighters" in ISIS. For those bad at math, that's 310 to 1. If the people of Iraq wanted ISIS gone, they would be gone. Instead they cower, throw down their weapons, or just do nothing. Or worse, support ISIS. They are not worth the sacrifice of an American life. I would have hoped we would have learned that by now.

Sadly, I suspect this latest Middle East war is more about politics and grandstanding before the November elections than anything else. How many more Americans will die so some useless politician can talk tough about his opposition to ISIS?

Every year I become more disgusted with politicians of both parties.
I just want to cry. Here we go again. I am a Viet combat vet. I served in the so-called Cambodian Incursion and saw the death, destruction and misery of US intervention first hand. For nothing... I once thought that the US had learned its lesson. Maybe we did and we forgot. Did we learn nothing from Iraq and Afghanistan? How long are we going to keep doing the same terrible, stupid things? This is not our war. It is not our problem. ISIS is not a realistic threat to the United States any more than the Viet Cong were. Defend our borders, be vigilant at our ports of entry, use our impressive intel capabilities to find the sympathizers in our midst and eliminate them. But stay the F out of the ME!

Old 09-05-2014, 09:46 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Actions speak louder than words. NATO nations already are supposed to spend 2% at minimum on defense budget and we see now that worked out.US spends 4% and nearest to that is UK as far as being close to 2%.france has always been a not to be counted on NATO partner has history has shown.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:54 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I just want to cry. Here we go again. I am a Viet combat vet. I served in the so-called Cambodian Incursion and saw the death, destruction and misery of US intervention first hand. For nothing... I once thought that the US had learned its lesson. Maybe we did and we forgot. Did we learn nothing from Iraq and Afghanistan? How long are we going to keep doing the same terrible, stupid things? This is not our war. It is not our problem. ISIS is not a realistic threat to the United States any more than the Viet Cong were. Defend our borders, be vigilant at our ports of entry, use our impressive intel capabilities to find the sympathizers in our midst and eliminate them. But stay the F out of the ME!
I certainly agree with the highlighted part above. All of that would increase our national security.

I saw Secretary Chuck Hagel about a week ago on TV in a press conference at the Pentagon. He said that ISIS is the most dangerous group they've ever seen and a direct threat to our national security, including possible attacks here on the homeland. I assume he has some specific intel to back that up or he wouldn't say that publicly.

The Saudi king also apparently mentioned to President Obama yesterday about the real possibility of strikes against Europe and the U.S.

I think the Irag war that GWB started was a huge mistake and I really don't want to go back over there either. However, what is President Obama supposed to do given all the information he's getting plus other intel I'm certain he's getting in his daily briefings on the situation? Obama has been very cautious about going back over there again so it must be bad or I don't see him agreeing to all this new military action.

Some say political pressure to act is the key factor in Obama's decision to act but it could be a real threat to the homeland as well. It that's the case, I certainly hope the U.S. can stop it before it happens.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:59 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
ISIS is nothing but a bunch of cowards, and what the hell is ISIS going to do anyways? Plus I would love to fight one myself, hand to hand combat.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:06 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I certainly agree with the highlighted part above. All of that would increase our national security.

I saw Secretary Chuck Hagel about a week ago on TV in a press conference at the Pentagon. He said that ISIS is the most dangerous group they've ever seen and a direct threat to our national security, including possible attacks here on the homeland. I assume he has some specific intel to back that up or he wouldn't say that publicly.

The Saudi king also apparently mentioned to President Obama yesterday about the real possibility of strikes against Europe and the U.S.

I think the Irag war that GWB started was a huge mistake and I really don't want to go back over there either. However, what is President Obama supposed to do given all the information he's getting plus other intel I'm certain he's getting in his daily briefings on the situation? Obama has been very cautious about going back over there again so it must be bad or I don't see him agreeing to all this new military action.

Some say political pressure to act is the key factor in Obama's decision to act but it could be a real threat to the homeland as well. It that's the case, I certainly hope the U.S. can stop it before it happens.
You are making exactly the same excuses for Obama that GWB and co. used for Gulf War II. We focus on the atrocities that ISIS commits as an excuse to attack them...just as was done with Saddam. You focus on the "threat" that ISIS poses to the US, just as "wmds" were 11 years ago. Please, don't be that blind just because we have a Democrat in the white house.

ISIS/ISIL are animals. But let them stay in the Middle East, and let the people of the ME stand up to them and do the fighting and dying. Instead of young Americans.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:08 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
BTW, one of the many things that makes ISIS so particularly "prickly" is its connection with Islam's Wahhabi Movement, which among other things, has deep connections with the politics and power structure in Saudi Arabia (you know, those folks who are supposed to be our 'friends' and who we depend on for oil…)?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies