Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should weed be ligalised?
Yes 77 73.33%
No 24 22.86%
Don't care! 4 3.81%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 07:41 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,858,490 times

Advertisements

Colorado legalizes Pot for the masses and we have early signs of medical issues, driving under the influence and a growing population who be come useless adults.

The Pot crowd got their wish and we are seeing why certain drugs should be controlled.

I'll stick to wine and coffee, Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 07:59 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,510,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Colorado legalizes Pot for the masses and we have early signs of medical issues
any evidence to support this?

Old 09-06-2014, 08:15 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,569,052 times
Quote:
Colorado legalizes Pot for the masses and we have early signs of medical issues
Yes! Evidence please?..

Old 09-06-2014, 12:35 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,124,447 times
Quote:
Colorado legalizes Pot for the masses and we have early signs of medical issues, driving under the influence and a growing population who be come useless adults.

The Pot crowd got their wish and we are seeing why certain drugs should be controlled.
Alcohol does the same thing (medical issues, DUIs, and job loss) but isn't banned (we tried that, but it did not work out). Marijuana does the same thing in theory and is technically banned, but people still smoke pot, drug dealers run rampant in parts of this country, our prisons are overflowing with people on simple drug offenses, and the "War on Drugs" continues to be a fiscal black hole.

PROHIBITION DOES NOT WORK. It didn't for alcohol, it isn't for marijuana. Colorado and Washington voters saw through this nonsense and voted to legalize recreational marijuana in 2012; despite the doom and gloom predictions from some pundits, they're still stable and functioning. The sky has not fallen, an avalanche has not destroyed Denver, the state governments have not collapsed, Spokane is not overrun with potheads, and they are not lawless states without any sense of order and justice.

In a way, legalizing marijuana is like legalizing same-sex marriage: some people argue that both will ruin the country and lead us into a new dark age, but where both have happened, guess what? Society still functions, businesses still open and operate, the roads still function, and people move on.

I say, legalize and regulate recreational marijuana. Trust me, there are much bigger issues in this country than the legalization of a plant.

- skbl17

Old 09-06-2014, 07:01 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,288,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Brain damage? Too funny.

The prohibitionists propaganda about being taxed for cannabis users poor health is already getting old. Nobody really believes that. They will soon have a new rallying cry that is also false and based on no actual data except for the info they are spoon fed by their talking heads.

If you are truly worried about being "taxed" for other peoples healthcare then you should focus your energy on the overweight and obese citizens.

Are you concerned about them?
I am of the opinion that any mood altering substance tends to cause brain damage, whether booze, pot, coke or whatever. I've seen it with my own eyes. Granted I am not a doctor, so it's just an opinion, but there have been studies that back me up
Brain changes associated with casual marijuana use in young adults, study finds -- ScienceDaily

There are other problems such as lung impairment:
Recreational Marijuana: Are There Health Effects?

If the taxpayer must foot the bill for health consequences of decisions, then yeah I am concerned about any unhealthy behavior whether it is obesity, smoking, drinking, or unprotected anal. If you bear the consequences of your individual choices, then have at it. If I am taxed to pay for the consequences, then I'm going to want to have gov't controls on those individual choices. Isn't that fair?

Old 09-06-2014, 07:14 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,288,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You are also taxed to pay for all the knee and ankle injuries from running. Should we ban running too?
We shouldn't ban running, since the health benefits tend to outweight the detriments. However, extremist sports such as ultra marathons, which are foot races up to 100 miles, would have to be controlled. Again if the taxpayer is on the hook to pay for the consequences, the taxpayer deserves to have a say in regulating the activity.

Study provides glimpse into health of ultramarathon runners | News Center | Stanford Medicine

If the taxpayer pays for the consequences, shouldn't the taxpayer have a say in the decision? If not why not?

Old 09-06-2014, 08:18 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,720,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182
2. Some US states have decriminalized it.
Yes and believe you me: BIG PHARMA DOESNT LIKE THOSE STATES THAT HAVE!! (Cannibus has amazing healing properties and is often BETTER then crap gotton from big pharma!!)

Old 09-08-2014, 06:20 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,934,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Wow. Um. Ok.

You should start with, at most, half a piece (1/10 or 1/12 of the bar, depending on how it's sectioned).

I've heard that a full piece - 1/5 of the bar - is nearly immobilizing. I couldn't imagine what eating a full bar would be like. No thanks.

I've never tried edibles. Not sure I'd really want to.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:24 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,934,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycat25912 View Post
So if it ever does become legalized, how old would a person have to be to buy it?
16?
18?
21?

Younger?
Older?

I think it should have the same age restrictions as alcohol...21. However; I don't necessarily agree with having to be 21 to legally purchase alcohol, given one can vote, or go get their a** shot off in some craphole in the middle east! Old enough to vote, old enough to go to war, old enough to drink....and smoke pot!

Old 09-08-2014, 06:37 AM

76,972 posts, read 47,297,922 times
[quote=Jas182;36376470]
Quote:
1. The UK Government have been debating it on and off since the 90s.
Yes, and so did Alaska in the 1970s and the actually decriminalized it. It was criminalized again because it resulted in marijuana abuse skyrocketing, especially among teenagers

Quote:
2. Some US states have decriminalized it.
Yes, and I think the Alaska experiment is the best, because it shows us the long term effects, which were not pretty.

Quote:
3. Alcohol and Tobacco are more harmful than weed: David Nutt's dangerous drug list | Science | theguardian.com
There are many substances more dangerous, but why should that mean pot is harmless?

Quote:
4. The most harmful drugs top 20:
See previous post

Quote:
5. The individual should choose what he/she wants (as long as it doesn't harm
others), not the government!
It does harm others when the addicts become dependent on welfare.

Quote:
6. We should be more like Amsterdam!
Decriminalization of pot in Holland caused crime to skyrocket. I have provided proof of this many times here. And contrary to what Cato institute claims in their doctored study, the results in Portugal were even worse.

Holland has decriminalized drugs and tried harm reduction. Since the softening of drug policy there, shootings have increased 40%, robberies 62%, and car thefts 62%. This experiment which was meant to decrease organized crime has resulted in an increase in organized crime families from 3 in 1988 to 93 today.

The number of registered marijuana addicts has risen 30% and the number of other addicts has risen 22%

Quote:
7. Government can tax it = more money
Apparently the tax income was nowhere neat the estimates in Colorado. It seems it will end up costing the tax payer more money,.

Quote:
8. Increases tourism = better for economy
Drug tourism is your answer to fixing the economy?

Quote:
What do you think?
I think it is a horrible idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies