Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 12:30 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Are you ever going to answer my questions or just deflect with strawman arguments?

Do you think a full-time worker should be paid enough to feed their children? Yes or no?

No. How to raise their children is their responsibility not mine. If you think that's your responsibility, go right ahead and spend your own money.

Why do people have hard time accepting that responsibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
So, you think someone working 40 hours a week doesn't deserve to eat?
Depends on the type of work performed.

If the work doesn't produce anything that anybody is willing to pay for, the answer is no, the person shouldn't be compensated.

Deserve to eat? Not sure where that is coming from. Everybody deserves to eat. Whether or not they have anything to eat really depends on their choices. If a person chooses to spend all the money on things he can't afford or don't need, he having no money for food is none of my concern.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 09-15-2014 at 12:40 PM..

Old 09-15-2014, 12:42 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If the work doesn't produce anything that anybody is willing to pay for, the answer is no, the person shouldn't be compensated.
By the same token, the work should not exist either, the company should go under, and the capital supporting it should be invested elsewhere in the economy where the worker's labor would be more valuable.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:44 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Whose money do they plan to use to make the world a better place for future generations? Yours or "the society's?"
I see you won't answer the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I did answer...you refuse to admit it...you don like the answer , so you deflect

you stand there , waving your hands like somme child who wants attention... and people are giving you answers...but the answers aren't good enough for your fascist agenda

YOU CAN FEED YOUR KIDS AND YOU ON MIN WAGE...

did they teach you budgeting and balancing a check book in 5th grade...since I don't think you made it past 6th grade
The government disagrees with you. Hence, the SNAP program.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:44 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
how's this

my tiny HOUSE (1400sf 3 bedroom) of a tiny property of 60x100...has a property tax of 11,450....

that's 1000 a month

if I rent it to you at 800 a month its a LOSS...end up in back taxes...government repossess it for lack of paying taxes

if I rent it to you for 1000 a month, it just covers the taxes...NO UPKEEP

if I rent it to you for 1400 a month, I can pay the taxes..and fix/repair any issues within reason

meanwhile not much profit at all

RENTERS are the ones stealing., in rent controlled housing due to the taxes being more than the rent

so is you issue with the liberal government and their outrageous taxes>>>>.... or is it just your ignorance of life
Taxes on rental property, though, are based on the rental income (after expenses) of the property, not the comparable sale value. So if your property was rent controlled, you would pay considerably less than $1k/month in property tax.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:45 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
No. How to raise their children is their responsibility not mine. If you think that's your responsibility, go right ahead and spend your own money.

Why do people have hard time accepting that responsibility?
Quote:
Depends on the type of work performed.

Deserve to eat? Not sure where that is coming from. Everybody deserves to eat. Whether or not they have anything to eat really depends on their choices. If a person chooses to spend all the money on things he can't afford or don't need, he having no money for food is none of my concern.
So you think it is acceptable for children to go hungry in America?

Old 09-15-2014, 12:49 PM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Maybe not in your little world, but in a country that fancies itself the greatest in the world, every working individual is owed a minimum standard of living. People who work deserve to eat. People who work deserve some sort of dignity. What they do for a living is irrelevant, so long as it is legal.

There are two types of people in this world:

1. Those who want to make the world a better place for future generations
2. Those who are more concerned with protecting the status quo

Which side are you on?
You're being disingenuous about group 1, which actually has two subgroups:
  1. Those who want to make the world a better place for future generations, and are willing to give THEIR OWN LABOR/EFFORT/MONEY to do so
  2. Those who want to make the world a better place for future generations, and seek to force others to do so since they are unwilling to do it themselves.
Of those two groups, this thread makes abundantly clear that I am in group 1 and you are in group 2. You aren't trying to make the world a better place, you're demanding that someone else make the world a better place under your mandate of what "better" means. I make the world a better place via my own efforts, typically in one (or both) of two ways - a) not being a burden on my fellow man and b) not harming or advocating for the harm of my fellow man.

You've argued back and forth for a whole lot of harm to come to your fellow man because you think another subgroup of your fellow man is best served by harm coming to those who in your estimation have enough and should be harmed. Harming your fellow man does not make the world a better place. Advocating that others harm your fellow man in the name of helping others does not make the world a better place. Making the world a better place via your own efforts, without causing harm to others is how you make the world a better place.

And I ask again, if this liveable wage is so important to you, as your near religious zealotry with the subject is, then do you voluntarily overpay those you think "deserving" of a higher wage than what their employer pays them? Do you tip cashiers at the grocery store? Do you tip 50-75% on your meal at a restaurant? Do you tip seasonal temp workers at the mall to cover the gap between their minimum wae and your idealized liveable wage? If not, then you clearly do not believe in "helping" anyone, and just seek to punish those you feel deserve it in the name of your allegedly noble cause.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
So you think it is acceptable for children to go hungry in America?
No, I don't think it's acceptable that you let your children go hungry.

If you do that, I think we, the society, should take your children away from you and put them up fro adoptions.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I see you won't answer the question.

The government disagrees with you. Hence, the SNAP program.
Please just answer the question: whose money are you planning to use to make the world a better place?

Old 09-15-2014, 01:06 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times
Much of it is down to the way the corporation is structured as a business model. If they could all be replaced with co-operatives then the world would be a better place imo. Also other countries pay much higher wages to their staff yet they still seem to maintain a high standard of living (eg: Australia, Switzerland, Norway, Denmark etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vttbhl_kDoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies