Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 08:46 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times

Advertisements

People complain about being broke and how they need to be paid more at their job yet they stand in lines for couple hundred dollar phones every time there is an upgrade

iphone 6 sales in America - Google Search

Last edited by NEOhioBound; 09-30-2014 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 09:02 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Been a couple days, so I'll say it again:

There's absolutely NOTHING WRONG with an employer VOLUNTARILY paying an employee a living wage if both parties find it mutually agreeable, and there's absolutely EVERYTHING WRONG with the government FORCING an employer to pay an employee a specific wage.

I would wager that exactly nobody opposes an employer voluntarily paying what they and the employee agree to. It's that whole "government force" thing....there's the rub.

Last edited by Volobjectitarian; 09-30-2014 at 09:13 AM..

Old 09-30-2014, 09:03 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

There's absolutely NOTHING WRONG with an employer VOLUNTARILY paying an employee a living wage if both parties find it mutually agreeable, and there's absolutely EVERYTHING WRONG with the government FORCING an employer to pay an employee a specific wage.

I would wager that exactly nobody opposes an employer voluntarily what they and the employee agree to. It's that whole "government force" thing....there's the rub.
And I will agree again.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:10 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:

I would wager that exactly nobody opposes an employer voluntarily what they and the employee agree to. It's that whole "government force" thing....there's the rub.
On the money

Old 09-30-2014, 09:22 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,983 times
For those arguing that minimum wage should be done away with all together, what is the likely trend that wages will take? Will employers expect people to work for $5/hr and will people work for that? Or will wages trend up since there is no longer an artificial floor? I'm interested to hear some theories?

My thinking tells me that wages will settle to some sort of minimum, but I have a hard time believing that it will be higher than today's minimum wage, I actually think it might be lower. I don't think there will be shortage of people available to work for $5/hr.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:39 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
For those arguing that minimum wage should be done away with all together, what is the likely trend that wages will take? Will employers expect people to work for $5/hr and will people work for that? Or will wages trend up since there is no longer an artificial floor? I'm interested to hear some theories?

My thinking tells me that wages will settle to some sort of minimum, but I have a hard time believing that it will be higher than today's minimum wage, I actually think it might be lower. I don't think there will be shortage of people available to work for $5/hr.
There won't be a shortage of people willing to work for $5 an hour. As of right now, anyone only capable of $5 an hour worth of value is unemployed and making $0 an hour. $5 an hour would be a huge upgrade over $0.

And if someone is willing to work for $5 an hour, why should they not be allowed to? I am not willing to work for that, but I can think of a few dozen jobs I'd happily outsource to someone else for that rate. I currently do them myself, but I could swing $5 an hour for all kinds of chores just around my house. Right now, exactly nobody gets paid that wage because it's illegal for me to pay it. So the current wage I pay is $0, and I am willing to go to $5.

See how that works? There's a wage point people simply will not go past for certain jobs. They will do that job themselves or not do it. If a landscaper charged $200 per week, I'd be mowing my own lawn. As it stands, they charge $20, so I come home every Tuesday to a nice, manicured lawn. They can't charge much more than that, or I will fire up the mower and they'll stop earning income off me. You "hire" people every single day according to the exact same principle. Some stuff you simply will not pay someone else to do at the price they charge, but you might if the price to do it was lower. We all make this choice all the time, whether we realize it or not, since every time we hire an electrician, plumber, tax preparer, etc...WE ARE EMPLOYERS. How often, when deciding the DIY or hire someone question, does the worker's living wage needs enter your head? Hint - it doesn't. One factor makes your choice for you, and that is "can I afford it and do I wish to?" And some jobs are simply only worth $5 an hour.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:52 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post

I would think in any business that competed with international companies that the wages would be driven downwards...the reality is Americans have a higher living standard than most so American businesses would be undercut. And of course the consumer is always looking for the most bang for their buck so that would be another reason to drive wages downwards for the least valuable in the market.

On the other hand, purchasing power for everyone not earning minimum wage would increase. Not bad really.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:06 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,983 times
Quote:
There won't be a shortage of people willing to work for $5 an hour. As of right now, anyone only capable of $5 an hour worth of value is unemployed and making $0 an hour. $5 an hour would be a huge upgrade over $0.

And if someone is willing to work for $5 an hour, why should they not be allowed to? I am not willing to work for that, but I can think of a few dozen jobs I'd happily outsource to someone else for that rate. I currently do them myself, but I could swing $5 an hour for all kinds of chores just around my house. Right now, exactly nobody gets paid that wage because it's illegal for me to pay it. So the current wage I pay is $0, and I am willing to go to $5.

See how that works? There's a wage point people simply will not go past for certain jobs. They will do that job themselves or not do it. If a landscaper charged $200 per week, I'd be mowing my own lawn. As it stands, they charge $20, so I come home every Tuesday to a nice, manicured lawn. They can't charge much more than that, or I will fire up the mower and they'll stop earning income off me. You "hire" people every single day according to the exact same principle. Some stuff you simply will not pay someone else to do at the price they charge, but you might if the price to do it was lower. We all make this choice all the time, whether we realize it or not, since every time we hire an electrician, plumber, tax preparer, etc...WE ARE EMPLOYERS. How often, when deciding the DIY or hire someone question, does the worker's living wage needs enter your head? Hint - it doesn't. One factor makes your choice for you, and that is "can I afford it and do I wish to?" And some jobs are simply only worth $5 an hour.
Valid argument. My only points of contention would be what about people working off the books? I'm sure there is a good number of people out there working for $5/hr. We are currently paying a family member the equivalent of $2/hr to temporarily watch our little girl - she didn't want to take anything from us and we almost had to force her to take the $100/week. She doesn't need the money, so maybe this isn't a valid argument, but maybe it is. My other argument would be that your example is only a small part of the entire picture. Technically yes, you are hiring these people, but in reality you are paying for a service that offers you a convenience (not having to mow your lawn in the stinkin' hot weather). If you wanted to, you can mow the lawn yourself or do your own taxes. What I'm wondering about is a business owner that produces a product or service that you cannot do yourself.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:15 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
Quote:

You said it exactly. If businesses offer far too low of wage, some won't accept it, others will. It should be up to each individual to decide what they are willing to accept, or refuse. You either end up with a job or don't.

I give it a few years before people start complaining about how they shouldn't have to pay the same rate at grocery stores as other people *roll eyes*

Old 09-30-2014, 12:51 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
There's absolutely NOTHING WRONG with government reflecting humane and compassionate values in its fulfillment of its obligation toward the most vulnerable in society.

Even if that upsets those who prefer to spew egoistic nonsense in a vain attempt to rationalize the self-serving callous disregard for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies