Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 08:37 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Hmmm, I think you aren't seeing how most of life works. My grocer makes a living by helping people feed their families, my car dealer by helping people get to work and home and everywhere else they need to go, my accountant by doing a trustworthy job with people's taxes. Each of these people can only make more money by meeting even more of society's needs.

The crappy grocer running a dirty store with lousy prices goes broke. What virtue is there in that? The good grocer runs a clean store where people love to shop. What "intimidation" or "violence or murder" is there in that?

Of course, some people slam the successful and attribute ugly motives to them, just to feel better about their own lack of results in life. Sucks to be them.
The mom and pop grocer is not getting rich, they likely have a 30 year note on their over priced real estate and they are a few bad months away from getting nasty phone calls and another month after that forclosure procedings. If they rent then they are a month or 2 away from being evicted from their over priced venue.

I noticed you failed to address the rest of my post also.

The big box stores come in and offer lower prices because they are sourcing products from slave labor nations and our govt is not protecting us with import taxes to make up the difference in cost of living between here and there. Also these big companies can afford to sell at a loss for a period of time to get rid of their competition then jack prices back up.

I think you have some good information but don't start getting snarky because I was not born yesterday.

The companies who get big have skeletons in their closests that is for sure. If the little guy wants to make it he has to be ALOT smarter than wall street and those that would seek to fleece him through "market priced" commercial property that will put you in the poor house or building materials that are out of sight. If you pay retail for either your real estate or your building your odds of success are slim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 05:49 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
That is the Walmart approach to making billions. It's great if you think Governments should support Billionaires.
Actually, in that regard, the government is supporting union pensioners. CalPERS, alone holds over 5 million shares of Walmart. All of the other public and private pension funds are also heavily invested in corporations like Walmart, etc. That's how the pensions get paid: return on investments.

https://www.calpers.ca.gov/index.jsp...ities/home.xml

Anyone think union pensioners will give up their pensions so Walmart, etc., can pay their low-wage employees more?

Old 10-11-2014, 06:27 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
No. A living wage is about making enough money to live with dignity.
What does that mean? How much money is required for one to "live with dignity?"

Quote:
In the case of a US citizen I would argue that a living wage should be:
enough to pay for housing,
What kind of housing? Modest? A one bedroom apartment? Or, a three bedroom home? In what kind of neighborhood? Living with one's parents and paying them a certain amount in rent is "housing."

Quote:
food, healthcare, dental care, water, electricity, internet,
Internet is hardly a necessity. Even so, what kind of Internet? Dial-up is cheap. Broadband costs much more. You also need a computer. Is an employer expected to pay you enough to buy a computer? Why? You can go to the library and use a computer and the Internet, for free.

Dental care? Is that a "requirement" that an employer should pay for?
Quote:
and a vehicle with gas for getting to and from work. The vehicle is debatable in cities with public transportation.

and our current minimum wage doesn't cut it, why is this a challenge to comprehend for so many?
Get a better job. Work toward learning new skills. Problem solved. That's how we used to do it. I started out at minimum wage once. Didn't remain at minimum wage for very long, but at the time, I had a Volkswagen "beetle" with sun roof, and had an apartment (in a new apartment complex) in Ocean Beach ("OB") California. Minimum wage then was $1.65/hr. It wasn't long before I was raised to $2.10/hr. Later, I moved to a cheaper apartment with a roommate in "PB" (Pacific Beach). Soon after, the roommate moved out, but I got a better paying job in a photo lab for $2.25/hr. Then, not long after I got a raise to $2.50/hr.

That's how it works. Why ***** (geeeze, is b i t c h a forbidden word? What if you are talking about dogs? A female dog is a b i t c h) about minimum wage not being enough to support your chosen lifestyle? It's up to you to earn enough, to do what is necessary to earn enough to support yourself in the lifestyle you wish to live. Quit whining! It isn't your employers job to see to it that you have whatever amount of money you think you need. His job is to run a business and make a profit.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Abject self-centeredness and reprehensible callous disregard for others.
No, it isn't. It's value for value. Minimum wage jobs are low skilled jobs that require little or no training (as we used to say, "A trained monkey could do it."). Jobs like that are not worth $15/hr.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
The ones with callous disregard for others are those who fail to figure out a way to be of sufficient value to the rest of us so they can pull their own weight. Expecting a life better than 99% of all the humans that have ever been born simply because you usually show up to your burger-flipping job? The height of callous disregard for others. It is especially insulting to those hardworking people who gained some skill or expertise or work ethic or effort that has lifted them up from the minimum wage.
I can't understand what's wrong with these people who refuse to increase their skills and knowledge, and thus become more valuable as employees.

What comes to mind in all these "living wage" discussions is the communist or Marxist maxim, "From each according to his ability; to each according to his need." These twits demanding a "living wage" for low skills, are communists. They believe they should be compensated "according to their needs," out of the earnings and largesse of those with more. They don't believe in compensation according to the work performed or their actual value to an employer.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
The jobs that pay a living wage went china so many people are stuck where they are no matter what skills they require. And no, we don't need another 2 million of EMTs by noon tomorrow.
Baloney! Quit whining and get a real job!

Old 10-11-2014, 09:42 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
"Here's my math. Average McD's employee makes $7.62/hr ..."

Around here, at the present time, McD is paying $9.50 to $10.50 per hour, starting wage!
That is on a par with some newly licensed aircraft mechanics!

In the real world, I found that every time I got a pay raise, within 6 weeks it was gone due to an increase in the cost of living, usually increased grocery costs. While some economists say that just isn't true, they apparently have no real world wage earning experience. I have even seen times where a pay raise put me in a higher tax bracket, and I lost take home pay!

Old 10-11-2014, 06:41 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
The mom and pop grocer is not getting rich, they likely have a 30 year note on their over priced real estate and they are a few bad months away from getting nasty phone calls and another month after that forclosure procedings. If they rent then they are a month or 2 away from being evicted from their over priced venue.

I noticed you failed to address the rest of my post also.

The big box stores come in and offer lower prices because they are sourcing products from slave labor nations and our govt is not protecting us with import taxes to make up the difference in cost of living between here and there. Also these big companies can afford to sell at a loss for a period of time to get rid of their competition then jack prices back up.

I think you have some good information but don't start getting snarky because I was not born yesterday.

The companies who get big have skeletons in their closests that is for sure. If the little guy wants to make it he has to be ALOT smarter than wall street and those that would seek to fleece him through "market priced" commercial property that will put you in the poor house or building materials that are out of sight. If you pay retail for either your real estate or your building your odds of success are slim.
Not everybody pays too much for real estate, and good operators do not need counterproductive anti-trade policies to protect them. Like I said, some people downplay the odds of success to explain their own failure.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:08 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Default Looking at the progression of this Post.

I understand why people want & need a respectable wage, but paying wages that should be traditional start jobs for HS Kids or College People.

The real answers will always be a strong economy in which we do not have.

Most big brands like Target and Wal-Mart and even some Grocery outlets pay 12.00 per hour topping out 15.00 for a seasoned employee.

To have a salary that is at 15.00 per the employee must add value to the business and everything is driven on sales.

Low sales , low pay.

High end retail like Maceys and Dillard's Pay floor associates commission to convince a house wife to buy that 300 dollar dress @ Dillard's instead of going to Kmart.

Simple economics.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:09 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Quote:
Not everybody pays too much for real estate, and good operators do not need counterproductive anti-trade policies to protect them. Like I said, some people downplay the odds of success to explain their own failure.
The only way to do it is to wait for a market crash/correction and swoop in to buy reasonably priced real estate, otherwise good luck. A healthy trade balance and import tax was what the founders of our nation were to use to pay for military and all federal spending. Now we have free trade and the little guy has to pay for the military and other fed expenses. Your post is completely wrong.

The only business that can flourish are business that rely on LOCAL labor because their business model is not dependant on materials that can be imported. Such as a housing development contractor (assuming the market is not going belly up because no one else has a good job), mechanics, etc. OR resource extraction but most of that the big boys keep the leases tied up or other key infrastructure out of reach of the little guy.

Its like the dragon on the lord of the rings, you have to find the little tiny ***** in the armor in order to get the money coming in in wheel barrels. Otherwise your going to be clawing and scratching to stay afloat.

Even if you invent something the intellectual property laws and protection are so weak that any mega corporation can just steal it and lawyer up and out spend you.

The way to make it, be looking for that ***** in the armor and when you find it strike hard and fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies